How's the albums holding up for everyone?

One of the problems with those albums is Scott wanted Anthrax to be Pantera. Aside from changing singers and going with the grunge trends that were happening at the time, the songwriting during that era wasn't anywhere as strong. It's like people preferring Ripper Owens over Halford era Priest.

Last edited:
If anthrax had managed to be as mean as Pantera I think I would have been more into it. Honestly I didn't think very much of Dimes solos in Anthrax as a whole, although I can say the same for the last Pantera album.

I agree with them wanting to be more like pantera,it just didn't work that good, pantera were pretty much untouchable,just glass they survived it all

I look at my own path with FAK and initially I was rather underwhelmed by it all - the first time an Anthrax album didn't grab me by the nuts straight away.

But it grew on me and it grew and grew until I absolutely loved it.

I still think there are 1 or 2 songs that I think are good but not great but it's a very, very strong album. And I can't emphasise that word enough - an album (more on this later).

It's a metal (in the truest sense of the word) album for sure - not thrash but metal. There is definitely the full spectrum of Anthrax's past in there too from both eras of the band.

One interesting thing about this album is that I find as a whole it's brilliant - listening to it from start to finish and it's a real journey (no Joey pun intended). I often found previous albums were perhaps not as connected song wise but FAK (most likely simply down to the band's maturity now) is such a tight knit interwoven album.

Some of the songs as standalones had me scratching my head a bit initially but listening in context of the whole album and their place on the track list it all works. It actually demands to be listened from start to finish.

That's some next level deep shit right there but hope that makes sense.

That nothing is over part has never bothered me before,I remember joey saying in an interview that there songs always had alit of lyrics, always crammed in

I almost hated the song. I thought wow way to ruin such a heavy riff. If he'd done it once ok. But damn, it just doesn't really fit to me. But I refuse to not like one of these songs so I forced myself to keep listening to it and now it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because that's the only way I can hear the song going now. But anyway I'm used to it and I like the song. Of course if I had my way....lol

If there are too many lyrics crammed in then he should do something about it. He's the singer not them. They don't know how to formulate vocals.

Joey did write some of the lyrics but Scott (since after Neil Turbin) writes the majority / all of the lyrics. It makes more sense to have the singer write most of the lyrics or collaborate lyrically on the songs since it may come out even better vocally but that's not how Anthrax operates with their factory conveyor belt songwriting process.

Reactions: redfly
I know, and Scott is pretty good with lyrics in my opinion. But still he's not a vocalist. I wish they would just once try and write like a band and see what happens. I bet it would be killer.

I look at my own path with FAK and initially I was rather underwhelmed by it all - the first time an Anthrax album didn't grab me by the nuts straight away.

I still think there are 1 or 2 songs that I think are good but not great but it's a very, very strong album. And I can't emphasise that word enough - an album (more on this later).

It's a metal (in the truest sense of the word) album for sure - not thrash but metal. There is definitely the full spectrum of Anthrax's past in there too from both eras of the band.

One interesting thing about this album is that I find as a whole it's brilliant - listening to it from start to finish and it's a real journey (no Joey pun intended). I often found previous albums were perhaps not as connected song wise but FAK (most likely simply down to the band's maturity now) is such a tight knit interwoven album.

Some of the songs as standalones had me scratching my head a bit initially but listening in context of the whole album and their place on the track list it all works. It actually demands to be listened from start to finish.

That's some next level deep shit right there but hope that makes sense.

You put my thoughts together better than I could lol I agree completely.

This is exactly what happened to me. I think the album holds up great, and I'd in fact go on record to state that it's my favorite album out of the trilogy of WCFYA, WM and For All Kings.

The fact that the album didn't grab us by the nuts straight away is the whole story of this album: it's an extremely honest collection of songs. There are no forced attempts at pop hits (Safe Home) or radio hits (The Devil You Know). I love those songs, by the way. I'm not knocking them, I'm just telling it like it is. Everything sounds natural. Even the one poppier song, Breathing Lightning, doesn't have a hit-like big chorus, which I was kind of expecting. It's just a good lighter song that they let come out the way it was going to be. The band finally seems really comfortable being Anthrax, and that's a really great place to be when you're a band with a long history. On this album they seem to finally embrace it all. I'm so happy for the band and for us all. It's a great time to be a fan of Anthrax.

Finally, there's Joey. Those of you who know me for the last decade plus at this forum, I've always been neutral when it comes to the JB-situation. I like both singers, and each of them brings different greatness to the band. That being said, this album belongs to Joey. He sounds so goddamn powerful and just plain good on this album, I can't think there's any other singer out there who could have done better. That's not a knock on the other JB, that's not me starting that tired old argument again, that's just what I think. I am so happy with everything Anthrax right now, it feels unreal.

Now all I need is to get to pump my fist in the air while screaming 'MARK MY WORDS' at a live show! :D

Reactions: sufferer
I
My feelings exactly, I love John's voice and his work with the band but Joey has absolutely killed it on these last two albums. Now I just need to see them live again, the next one will be my 16th show!
l just want a headline show,it's been too long between drinks waiting 8 years for a 45 min set at soundwave just didn't cut it lol,I pray they don't do a co headline with slayer or megaedeth, I'll b quite pissed off if that's the case

@mrthrax likewise want a proper headline show. Doubt it would be Megadeth as they were here in Oz not that long ago (September 2015).