'Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken' vs 'Hell Over Sofia'

Shamateur

Hypocrite
Jan 23, 2003
Nonexistence
Ok, here we go.

We have a full format live record of concert made in Bulgaria in February, 2010. I should tell honestly that I listened to it only few times AND that's my opinion: instead of having one more concert record we've got absolute, perfect and fabulous studio work made of some live records. Every song on this audio work is amazing on its sounding quality, mixing, mastering and absolutely obvious studio made sound effects. I call "HOS" full right 2011 Hypocrisy Album. Damn, it is so really good, so "masterpeacefully", that it can be proudly called so! Hypocrisy has made a fine kickin' ass achivement and confirmation that this band is one of the greatest death metal gang in the world and even in heavy music history! We may listen to as much proofs as we can only desire: really low and hellish growling vocal (like on "Evil Invaders" cover) through all songs, death metallic sounding of guitars and drums.

I've put "HDW" on the first place in the title of this thread because I really consider it as the greatest live record of Hypocrisy (some studio "invasions" can be also heard on it and, by the way, some professional musicians prove it too) and "HOS" as the greatest thing that Hypocrisy ever made during 20 years of its chaos and confusion -- a quintessence of what they (Peter and Co) have reached on stage and Abyss studio!

I offer you guys and girls to talk here only about audio content of these two comparisons but... fuck with it! You may express here everything you feel about it!

I think HDW is awesome but a bit... incomplete. Mostly because it has less live songs and a shorter length than HOS - due probably to concert length limits. This caused the fact that Hypocrisy could not play a wide number of songs. That's why I prefer HOS and consider it as Hypocrisy's 2011 album, too.

Yes, I really liked the album and tracklist - good live album..
... im not happy with little monotonous vocals, esp. at the end of the show - i have feeling that Peter was little bit tired.
and... Well ... the sound is "licked" :))) too "smooth". obviously,this is not the original sound of the show - the sound was very carefully handled. I prefer more dirty one)

BUT! i really love this album. I listen to it a lot and it makes me happy!
Many thanks to all who took part in the work on this album. It's cool and amazing! \m/

As for vocal I like the way Peter sang -- deep and low growl like on my favorite "TFC". As for the end of the show it is obvious that Peter has tired and that's why in some moment vocal doesn't sound like in the beginning.

FINALLY my order came in and I watched the concert & the documentary tonight. Awesome concert, exacly what I expected. Well balanced setlist that the fans helped voteing for, what more can you ask for? The stockholm-gig I went to was awesome and this is a great way to sorta "re-experiance" it!

The documentary was great, Masse is a fucking funny dude! Loved it! Only small compaint is that the south american tour bit was maybe abit to long, but I still love to hear about shit like that. The long waits between albums latetly got explain real good (and so did the contriversial "catch 22" album), im really greatful for this release. So thank you Hypocrisy for this release and 20 years of chaos and confusion! :kickass:

I think that the only mistake made during set list planning was abscence of unplayed yet old songs from previous albums. By the way, medleys don't sound so good too.

I would assume the medleys was done thanks to curfew time, but it would have been nice if they could have pulled out the full-lenth versions for the DVD... and we all got a chance to vote which songs we (the fans) wanted to be played for this tour. I would have personally loved "Nightmare", "Inferior Devoties" or the "Black Forest" cake thrown at us.

Very pity that there are no songs from "Catch 22", there some really killing tracks like "Hatred", "Turn The Page" and so on...

One important thing I want to ask!

In the documantory there is a short live part of "The 4th Dimension". I know for sure that it was in january 1994 in Stuttgart during metal festival, does anybody know where full length video can be found?

Sad thoughts...

I always wondered: why have they played old songs that are well known for every Hypocrisy fan? There is a big list of adorable songs, very good songs, not worse than their hits they play all around the world. And what have they done? Instead of showing undiscovered, unseen and unsung (and very chilling) side of the band's music they played very very boring playlist plus some new songs and released it as 20 years anniversary stuff. Every album has many songs worth to be played on such rare occasion. In my opinion that would be rather better and interesting to hear live such songs as "Inquire Within", "Fearless", "Curved Up" "Slaves To The Parasites" etc etc etc...

Hypocrisy is well known and very famous band... but not their music. Everyone knows "Roswell 47", everyone likes it blah blah blah and that's all. Look at this board. This is an official HYPOCRISY forum!!! Fuck!.. and it's dead. No one is interested to talk about, to discuss and to argue. I remember 5-8 years ago here was many people, many things, many thoughts, a lot of funny stuff...

I think they gathered their most popular songs (no matter how old are they and how many times been played before) and put it as their new live album to attract new young and elder fans and to resume interest to the band from people who don't pay attention anymore to its music to date.

That's all.

But of course for us, old fans, there has been issued a documentary film -- very interesting thing (especially 'old' part) which answers many questions that have being gathered for a long time.

Sad thoughts...

I always wondered: why have they played old songs that are well known for every Hypocrisy fan? There is a big list of adorable songs, very good songs, not worse than their hits they play all around the world. And what have they done? Instead of showing undiscovered, unseen and unsung (and very chilling) side of the band's music they played very very boring playlist plus some new songs and released it as 20 years anniversary stuff. Every album has many songs worth to be played on such rare occasion. In my opinion that would be rather better and interesting to hear live such songs as "Inquire Within", "Fearless", "Curved Up" "Slaves To The Parasites" etc etc etc...

Hypocrisy is well known and very famous band... but not their music. Everyone knows "Roswell 47", everyone likes it blah blah blah and that's all. Look at this board. This is an official HYPOCRISY forum!!! Fuck!.. and it's dead. No one is interested to talk about, to discuss and to argue. I remember 5-8 years ago here was many people, many things, many thoughts, a lot of funny stuff...

I think they gathered their most popular songs (no matter how old are they and how many times been played before) and put it as their new live album to attract new young and elder fans and to resume interest to the band from people who don't pay attention anymore to its music to date.

That's all.

But of course for us, old fans, there has been issued a documentary film -- very interesting thing (especially 'old' part) which answers many questions that have being gathered for a long time.

I agree about all, and I'm also asking myself why this forum is so empty, considering Hypocrisy's fame.

Shamateur's right, I would have loved to see Hatred performed live for example. A monumental song in my opinion.

But the bluray is still top notch! so is the wacken gig of course too, both prove that overdubs are welcome ;)

the documentary is definitely one of the best I've ever seen from a band on a storage medium