hypothetical

Dio,Tate or Dickinson would fail to replace Allen IMO. (Not because they are not great, but their styles would not fit at all.)

Dickinson's energetic, powerful voice might have done the work on the albums to some extent, but his hypo-kinetic nature would most probably ruin the live shows, as he would have extreme difficulty in catching the tune while constantly running and singing the geniusly composed SYX vocal melodies, which are difficult as hell to perform live. And if the band would simplify the vocal melodies to fit to his style, that would not be the SYX we love IMO.

Roy Khan (of Kamelot) or Kral (of Mercenary) might be considered, not as direct replacements but high quality vocalists with whom the band would follow a different yet arguably a decent path.

Or f.ck them all, Abbath would be the best, even better than Allen :lol:

I'd like to hear Mike Eriksen from Circus Maximus do some covers, but I don't think you could replace Russ. It would be a completely different band if you changed MJR, Russ or Pinnella imo, although Pinnella's influence has waned since V.

If Russ did end up leaving Symphony X for whatever reason, you know who I think would make a reasonable replacement to hold them over just until Zeus, Ra and Odin demand that Russ return to the band?

David Readman (ex Adagio)

He has balls, power, actually has a bit better of a range than Russ and sounds pretty good; especially on Underworld, in the song Underworld. Although he wouldn't really live up to Russ 100%, he'd at least be able to get the job done live.

Roy Khan is good,Ray alder ex fates warning maybe. When singers of that quality leave it's time to disband!!!!
As much as I like Roy Khan as a singer, I don't want to see Symphony X turn into a fucing chick fronted Goth Metal band. While as individual songs, his lyrics are VERY good, collectively, Kamelot's lyrics are monotonous, repetitive and lack originality. This is their 3rd album in a row writing about nothing but loneliness and silence of the darkness. (And I'm not just refering to When the Lights Are Down and Silence of the Darkness) I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing Kamelot write lyrics about the loneliness of the mountain and the same emo bullshit over and over again. What happened to lyrics of songs like the Fourth Legacy, The Expedition, Nights of Arabia, The Shadow of Uther, and all that epic but not too cheesy goodness?

But on a more real note, as good of a singer as Roy Khan is, his voice isn't booming enough to sing for a band like Symphony X. He would NEVER be able to pull off singing songs like Seven or King of Terrors.

And he can't borderline growl either like Russ can. (Note that I said BORDERLINE growl.) What would King of Terrors sound like without that ballsy accent on "THE PIT!" it would lack definition and power. Khan's voice is too polished and over-mixed in that aspect.

And if Symphony X got Khan to sing, then we'd just end up having Simone Simons come in every 6 seconds saying "HAI GUISE!! What can I do? =D", and that would get gay, 'cause we all know that there are no girls on the internet.

God dammit that felt good!! You would not believe how long I've been wanting to rant about that without having billions of Kamelot fanbois ramming their opinions down my throat like Kamelot can do no wrong.

I'd like to hear Mike Eriksen from Circus Maximus do some covers, but I don't think you could replace Russ. It would be a completely different band if you changed MJR, Russ or Pinnella imo, although Pinnella's influence has waned since V.
Even though not nearly as much as those 3, if you changed Rullo out, it would change teh feel of alot of Symphony X's songs. Rullo's drum style is really subtle, but it is pretty unique. He doesn't just try to stand out as much as he can or make everything as technical as possible; he just kinda goes with it and knows what to do and when. If you put anyone else in his spot, we'd probably end up hearing every single song either have endless double bass drumming or it would be either over or under technical as opposed to a reasonable middle ground.

As much as I like Roy Khan as a singer, I don't want to see Symphony X turn into a fucing chick fronted Goth Metal band. While as individual songs, his lyrics are VERY good, collectively, Kamelot's lyrics are monotonous, repetitive and lack originality. This is their 3rd album in a row writing about nothing but loneliness and silence of the darkness. (And I'm not just refering to When the Lights Are Down and Silence of the Darkness) I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing Kamelot write lyrics about the loneliness of the mountain and the same emo bullshit over and over again. What happened to lyrics of songs like the Fourth Legacy, The Expedition, Nights of Arabia, The Shadow of Uther, and all that epic but not too cheesy goodness?

God dammit that felt good!! You would not believe how long I've been wanting to rant about that without having billions of Kamelot fanbois ramming their opinions down my throat like Kamelot can do no wrong.

But on a more real note, as good of a singer as Roy Khan is, his voice isn't booming enough to sing for a band like Symphony X. He would NEVER be able to pull off singing songs like Seven or King of Terrors.

And he can't borderline growl either like Russ can. (Note that I said BORDERLINE growl.) What would King of Terrors sound like without that ballsy accent on "THE PIT!" it would lack definition and power. Khan's voice is too polished and over-mixed in that aspect.

And if Symphony X got Khan to sing, then we'd just end up having Simone Simons come in every 6 seconds saying "HAI GUISE!! What can I do? =D", and that would get gay, 'cause we all know that there are no girls on the internet.

Thats the way,get it off your chest:lol:

Good that you eventually are able to discharge your thoughts on a platform where you would not be attacked by the goth-chicks :lol:

Yet, Kamelot's music, vocal melodies or lyrics do not have very much to do with the things he and the band would do if they were to come together for SYX.

Technically. you are right. Khan would not give the aggressive side of Russ' style. I said "different path" thing just for this reason.

Bah, never mind. We love Russ and don't want to imagine he and SYX apart :D

lol Edu :lol:

DC Cooper.

Though i believe that Cooper is a highly capable vocalist, i think his style would be so much "clean" for SYX. And Edu might be a better replacement than Cooper (yet only compared to Cooper), even though i like Cooper a thousand times more.

For example, my favourite vocalist is John West, the replacement of Cooper in Royal Hunt as you may know (he is in my avatar right now :D ); yet i would never dream him singing SYX songs. Just that would not be fit IMO.

^^Sadly Mr.West left Royal Hunt just a few months ago :(

Jorn Lande. Sometimes he sounds a little similar to Russell on the Allen/Lande albums (yes I do know who is singing each part :lol: ) and I think he could do a stellar job, however Sym X would never be the same with Sir Russell. :worship:

Nah Jorn should be arrested and forced to sing for Ark again. He's wasted elsewhere.