Top 20 vocalists...

This is my list, In order:

1. Rob Halford (He is the Metal God for a reason, some of the people further down in my list have a wider range, but they are not the showman that Rob is.)

2. Warrel Dane (I am not counting just vocal talent here, although he is amazing in that department of course, I am also counting songwriting abilities... Dreaming Neon Black was perfect.)

3. John K (Not a super well known name, he is from Biomechanical and currently of Balance of Power. His voice is so versatile, as he can sound like anyone he wants to and has pipes that could shatter glass.)

4. Bruce Dickinson (Fucking air raid siren... enough said.)

5. Ronnie James Dio (The little elf that could...)

6. Geoff Tate (His talent is undeniable. Absolutely amazing, can pull it off live too.)

7. Russell Allen (His voice is so powerful.)

8. Michael Kiske (Early Helloween is unstoppable, that scream he does at the end of "I Want Out" is fucking out of control.)

9. Kai Hansen (He loves being on stage, I could genuinely tell that when I saw them live. He has a great voice and is the father of power metal.)

10. Tim "Ripper" Owens (I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I don't give a damn. The man has a damn good talent, and has sang for 2 of my favorite bands, that gets him a lot of respect from me.)

11. Jon Oliva (The Mountain King will always be in my top 20. The man is amazing. His voice sounds so powerful and he truly sings through his heart... you can tell he is really into it.)

12. Michael Akerfeldt (I love Opeth. His voice can go from clean to regurgitating Satan instantly. Not a lot of range, but to growl like he does takes a lot of talent vocally.)

13. Andy B Frank (Excellent voice, excellent on stage)

14. David Wayne (I'm not just saying it because he died, he was a great vocalist in life and please, if you do not have the first 2 albums that Metal Church did, get them.)

15. Lance King (Lance... I promise I am not sucking up man, you really are this high on my list. To be quite honest, I am not all that familiar with Balance of Power or his other stuff. I know him from Pyramaze (I am one of their forum moderators) and Avian (I am their roadie). But his work with both of those bands is amazing. He is brilliant to see live and really gets into whatever he is doing on stage.)

16. Hansi Kursch (He was a lot higher on my list before I saw BG live in November. He is great on cd, but live he just couldn't pull it off. I hope it had to do with the fact that he wasn't feeling very well that night, and you could tell he was sick as hell.)

17. Devon Townsend (I love Strapping Young Lad, and I like his solo project. Another one of those sporadic vocalists like Michael from Opeth.)

18. Chuck Billy (Satan.)

19. Randy Rampage (From Annihilator's first album and a later one in their catalog. Nothing special vocally, but he had the attitude that made me love Annihilator and carry them to become my second favorite band of all time.)

20. Sean Shields (Haha, not sucking up man, you have some killer pipes. I Fought The World is brilliant. I still can't believe you blew the speakers at that show and had to sing just through the monitors for your high notes.)

Brent

Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
Michael Sweet(Stryper)
Michael Kiske(Helloween)
Rob Halford(Judas Priest)
David Coverdale(Whitesnake)
Tarja Turunen(Nightwish)
Sammy Haggar(Van Halen)
Sharon den Adel(Within Temptation)
Geoff Tate(Queensryche)
Michelle Luppi(Vision Divine)
Ray Alder(Fates Warning)
Nils Patrick Johansen(Wuthering Heights)
Goran Edman(Yngwie Malmsteen)
James LaBrie(Dream Theater)
Roy Khan(Kamelot)
Ronnie James Dio (DIO)
Phillip Anselmo(Pantera)
Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen)
Steve Perry(Journey)
Sebastian Bach(Skid Row)

NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1.Ray Alder by far....he is God...everybody else shines his boots/with tongues
2.Ray Gillen...best bluesy voice ever, the Sabbath stuff aint too shabby either
3.Bruce Dickenson...Air Raid Siren for real...his voice is not as great as it used to be,but in his day...BLAMMO!!!
4.Sebastian Bach...Still has it 20 yrs down the road...Skid Row ruled
5.Chris Salinas...Power of Omens were great...Zero Hour is massive!!!
6.Warrel Dane...Sanctuary ...nuff said
7.Midnight...Mid 80's...Lady of Winter,Red Sharks
8.John Arch...Awaken the Guardian is an all time classic
9.Lizzy Borden...shame on me...but Lizzy was so cool back then
10.Brody Dalle/Distillers...she is the rawest punk bitch ever,I love her
11.Jorn Lande...He is golden...David Coverdale can't touch him
12.James Rivera...Never been let down by James...he is mexican Dio
13.Carl Albert...Vicious Rumors were the kings of the Power Metal genre,Carl is the reason why...
14.Tarja Turunen...Nightwish will not recover..Tarja has the voice of an angel
15.Simone Simons...still growing into her voice,but damn!!! what a voice tis!
16.RonnieJames Dio...old man on the silver mountain can still produce
17.Zak Stevens...he is pure...just spot on
18.Geoff Tate...past discretions excused...up until Empire...awesome!!!
19.Robert Plant...distinct and oh so tasty throughout the 70's
20.Rod Stewart...solo albums 1-3 and the Faces...priceless gems

I'm sure I forgot a few,but we just had this discussion for a few days at work,so I was pretty prepared for battle

We should divide technique and charme, but i'll make a list which includes both, no particular order:

Demetrio Stratos (Area) :worship:
Heather Findlay (Mostly Autumn)
Jeff Buckley (Jeff Buckley)
Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian)
James Labrie (DT & more) you may not love him, but you can't say he's not talented
Russel Allen (SX)
Devin Townsend (DTBand and more)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Mike Patton (Whichever band ;))
Andre Matos (Angra)
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
Candice Night (Blackmore's Night)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Phil Anselmo (Pantera)
Bruce Dickinson (IM)

16. Hansi Kursch (He was a lot higher on my list before I saw BG live in November. He is great on cd, but live he just couldn't pull it off. I hope it had to do with the fact that he wasn't feeling very well that night, and you could tell he was sick as hell.)

It certainly was because he was sick. I believe the whole band had bouts with flu and colds for those two months. Now don't get me wrong, he can be a bit off live; but overall, he's still fantastic. Just see the Imaginations Through the Looking Glass DVD, to which his performance in Atlanta was comparable. Keep in mind, though, that I might've been banging my head too hard, singing too loudly, or losing myself in the whole experience to notice mistakes :lol:

Geoff Tate - Queensryche
Jorn Lande - like 30 bands
Ray Alder - FW
Tim Owens - JP
Dio
Sean Shields - Halcyon Way
Bruce Dickenson
Midnight.....back on Transcendence
Jimmy Brown - Deliverance
Mike Patton - Faith No More
Sebastian Bach
Warrel Dane - Nevermore
Christopher Scott - Precious Death
Andy Franck - Brainstorm
Ralf Sheepers - Primal Fear
Lajon Witherspoon - Sevendust

I never said I could count!!!!

Roy Khan has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but he's way up around the top of the list right now. He was excellent when I saw him Chicago last, and his performance on Kamelot's DVD is simply awesome. The three other times I had seen him in the past he ranged from good to great, but of late I think he might have upped it a notch.

Britt

PS That Kamelot DVD is very awesome .. my favorite DVD in some time.

Thanks to my friends who put me on thier lists, it is much appreciated although I don't yet belong to their class, but I aspire. I don't know if I can think of 20 right now but I will give it a shot. Besides all of my favorites aren't all metal.

Ronnie James Dio (nuff said)
Rob Halford
( he has 3 distinct voices and other vocalists have made their careers on only using one of these. And most would give their eye teeth to simply MASTER one of them)

Geoff Tate (his lack of seniority puts him in this slot. He is a force of nature)
Robert Plant (style & taste is sometimes everything)
Ray Gillen (a voice with real tone and strength)
Ian Gillan (there would be no Bruce without Ian)
Bruce Dickenson (gotta love em)
Sebastian Bach
Chris Cornell (when he was in Soundgarden)
Warrel Dane
Tim Owens (the scream machine)
Mike Patton (his voice is a snyth)
David Coverdale
Ann Wilson
Steve Perry
Pat Benatar

Russell Allen
Hansi Kursch
Devin Townsend
Bjorn Jansson
Eduardo Falaschi
James Labrie
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jorn Lande
Lance King
Chris Salinas

I will probably add to this list...

My List has been updated and is a real hodge podge of vocalists:

1. Oliver Hartmann
2. Lance King
3. Khan
4. Russell Allen
5. Colleen Gray
6. Niclole Bognar.
7. Marco Hietala
8. John West
9. DC Cooper
10. Henrik Brockman
11. Mikkel Sandage
12. Damion Wilson
13. Kobi Farhi
14. Tony Kakka
15. Wilska
16. Urban Breed
17. Steve Braun
18. Michael Erikson
19. Carlos Zema
20. Nikola Mijic

This is not my "all-time" list. This is also not what I would preceive to be the most talented list either. This is 100% pure personal preference based on how I connect with their voice. I narrowed the criteria down a bit though. I limited it to rock/metal and they must be *current.* In other words, they must have released something within the last five years that I still listen to on a regular basis.

1. David Coverdale
2. Russell Allen
3. Zak Stevens
4. Dio
5. Tom Englund
6. Jon Oliva
7. Jeff Scott Soto
8. Jorn
9. Eddie Vedder
10. DC Cooper
11. Jon Bon Jovi
12. Blackie Lawless
13. David Draiman
14. Hansi Kursch
15. Mac
16. Michael Erikson
17. Sebastian Bach
18. Daniel Gildenlow
19. Kip Winger
20. Bruce Dickinson

Damn, Glenn admits to Kip Winger! :loco:

These are the people I listen to the most.

1. Ray Gillen
2. David Coverdale
3. Ronnie James Dio
4. Jon Oliva
5. Zak Stevens
6. Ray Alder
7. Jorn Lande
8. Tobias Sammet (Tobi is the shit)
8. Jeff Scott Soto
9. Steve Perry
10.Geoff Tate
11.Tarja Turunen
12.Sharon Del Adel
13.Daniel G.
14.Russell Allen
15.Chris Cornell
16.Tiffany Arbuckle
17.Jeremy Camp
18.Michael Sweet
19.Joey Tempest
20.Sebastian Bach

In alphabetical order:

Mark Boals
DC Cooper
David Coverdale
Bruce Dickinson
Ronnie James Dio
Goran Edman
Ian Gillan
Ray Gillen
Rob Halford
Glenn Hughes
Michael Kiske
Jorn Lande
Mats Levén
Tony Martin
Klaus Meine
Robert Plant
Jeff Scott Soto
Geoff Tate
Joey Tempest
Doogie White

A special mention, too, for Kendall Torrey (Bechtel): a guitarist and not a singer, but very very good to me...
Rock on! :headbang:

Bruce Dickinson (Maiden)
Daniel Gildenlow (PoS)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Roy Khan (Kamelot, Conception)
James Hetfield (Metallica, pre-Black album)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Dirk Thurisch (Angel Dust)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth)
Peavy Wagner (Rage)
Dan Castellaneta (singing as Homer)
Jon Oliva (Savatage)
Zak Stevens (Savatage)
Fish (Marillion)
Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gathering)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Zooey Deschanel (shower singing scene in the movie Elf)