I *AM* the DJ!!

Spike

Blinded By The Light...
Jul 15, 2001
Australia
It's a small victory, but one of the better things about my work at the moment (large franchised 2nd hand store), BESIDES the opportunity to amass an enormous CD collection of all the best rare and hard to get stuff around here as it comes in, is that after some time, I have finally got exclusive rights to whatever happens to be the instore music, mainly cos I've got a 20BG Zen Touch filled to the brim. :Smug: About 1/3 of my Zen Touch is on the 'work' playlist (did you REALLY thing I could get away with playing soilwork or emperor at your everyday retail store? :rolleyes: ) and it includes stuff from The Gathering, to Ulver to Jars of Clay to A Perfect Circle to Amorphis To Anathema To Aphex Twin To Apocalyptica To Opeth.... (This is just 'a'... you get the idea) And I was looking for more REALLY GOOD music to add to my playlist so I can educate these uncultured (in metal at least) hicks.

I was wondering if anyone was interested in making any suggestions? ;)

:err:

Actually, I suggest you be careful with what you play...what may sound mellow and harmless to you could easily offend people in a 'shopping mood'.
And you don't want to be playing anything too heavy, otherwise you might be selling broken merchandise after you quell the riot started by a few musical suggestions :p

3 quick suggestions: Delerium and/or Atomine Elektrine would be good for mid-range, Arcana for a good light change and maybe some earlier Black Sabbath for family-friendly heavy.

Conjure One, Soul Whirling Somewhere, Boudoir, The Loveless, Klimt 1918, Revile, Riverside, Novembre for the darker yet not-too-heavy side of music... Björk, Interpol, Kasabian, My Vitriol, Saybia, Jack Johnson, Onelinedrawing, The Wallflowers, Phantom Planet for the lighter side of things...

anytime: Pink Floyd :Spin:

Ethereal Sage said:
:)

Well, from my own experience, you would be surprised at how many people do not recognize early Iron Maiden. I'll bet you can get away with playing that. It is ear friendly to a wide age gap. What else...Avenged Sevenfold, Into Eternity, Deadsy, Black Sabbath (69-78), Anthrax, Opeth, King's X, Corrosion of Conformity, Down, Type O Negative
I know most of these are not so rare, but what's common to you or me may be rare to 'Joe Six-Pack' coming through to door.

Hmmm lesse.... where shall I start?

Of course I've already got all of Delerium on there! :p I'll have to listen to Atomine Electrine again as I can't remember it's 'sound'. I already put just a couple (of the best) arcana stuff on there, and even that will get some 'strange comments' so I might have to leave it at that. And early Black Sabbath? Not TOO early I should think! :eek: I'm thinking of some of the more upbeat stuff of 'Never Say Die' for example, but I shall look into to. And CATHEDRAL!? ARE YOU MAD!!? :loco: I've already put alot of the DCD Tribure songs on the list, but the rest of DCD's back catalogue is too extensive for me to go through considering I don't know it that well... any song suggestions Adam? Devin Townsend/Ocean Machine might work too, I'll just have to find the appropriate songs, I think 'voices in the fan' might fit in there somewhere. ;) RD is prolly not going to work, I tried it, but it didn't seem 'right'. Perhaps I was just listening to the wrong songs.

I will DEFINITELY have to give ALL of your suggestions some serious consideration S2F!! :) The only band I recognise off the bad is Conjure One, but if the other bands are of an at all similar calibre to your first suggestion then.... well, it should be great. :)

I'll take a stab at Iron Maiden too when I can find some! (I only own the 'Rock in Rio' live CD, and like I said, will get some Sabbath on there if I can... perhaps some of the Tribute albums might work too. I think I can squeak some Down and Type O on there when I find the appropriate tracks, but I guess that means I will have ALOT of listening to do this weekend. :erk:

Keep 'em comin guys, song suggestions are preferential, but I will take artists too. ;)

Oh yes, I even got some Arcturus on there. ;) ...Of course it was only the violin/instrumental and another track of 'Disguised Masters'. but still. :)

You want song suggestions?!
Hehe, well, here we go:

Anathema:
- Release (A Fine Day To Exit)

Antimatter:
- Over Your Shoulder (Saviour)

Apocalyptica:
- Faraway (Reflections)

Audioslave:
- Like A Stone (Audioslave)

Blazing Eternity:
- White (A World To Drown In - I'd recommend you to listen to the title track as well as to their album Times And Unknown Waters in private :D )

Boudoir:
- Sweet Storm (Currency Of The Soul)

Delerium:
- Fallen (Chimera)

Devin Townsend:
- Unity (Infinity)

Klimt 1918:
- Parade Of Adolescence (Undressed Momento)

Massive Attack:
- Safe From Harm (Blue Lines)

Millenia Nova:
- Nothing Left To Fear (Narcotic Wide Screen)

Novembre:
- Cloudbusting
- Child Of The Twilight (Novembrine Waltz)

Tiamat:
- Wings Of Heaven
- Carry Your Cross... (Prey)

Riverside:
- In Two Minds (Out of Myself)
- Loosing Heart (Riverside)

Revile:
- A Green Million Miles (High Tide)

Soul Whirling Somewhere:
- The Last Time I Left (The Great Barrier)
- Every Female Werewolf Ever... (Pyewackit)
...stuff for the quiet morning hours

The Cure:
- Plainsong (Disintegration)
- The Last Day Of Summer (Bloodflowers)

The Gathering:
- Great Ocean Road (How To Measure A Planet)

:wave:

part2...
mellow, “easy-listening”...

Jack Johnson:
- Middle Man
- Bubble Toes (Brushfire Fairytales)

Onelinedrawing:
- A Ghost
- Stay (The Volunteers)

Phantom Planet:
- Anthem
- California ...puts a smile on your face and makes you dream of endless highways in the summer sun (The Guest)

Saybia:
- 7 Demons
- In Spite Of
...plus any other song of The Second You Sleep

Starsailor:
- Poor Misguided Fool (Love Is Here)

Stereophonics:
- Lying In The Sun
- Nice To be Out (Just Enough Education To Perform)

The Strokes:
- 12:51 (Room On Fire)

The Wallflowers:
- One Headlight
- 6th Avenue Heartache (Bringing Down The Horse)

Travis:
- Side (The Invisible Band)

part3...
alternative/ rock/ grunge...

Björk:
- Bachelorette (Homogenic - too bad it's her only album I own)

Interpol:
- Obstacle 1
- PDA
...the two most popular songs, but almost every other song off of Turn On The Bright Lights would be equally suitable (except for NYC maybe, too sad...)

Kasabian:
- Club Foot ...that'll put everyone in a good mood :loco:

Muse:
- Time Is Running Out (Absolution)
- Bliss (Origin Of Symmetry)

My Vitriol:
- Grounded
- Always: Your Way (Finelines - excellent album)

Pearl Jam:
- Oceans (Ten)

Porcupine Tree:
- The Sound Of Muzak (In Absentia)

Silverchair:
- Cemetery (Freak Show)
- Emotion Sickness (Neon Ballroom)
...but hey, you should know Silverchair better than I do :p

Okay, that's it for today.
Keep on rockin'! :headbang:

snow2fall said:
He'll think I'm nuts... :loco:

Either that or I may just ask for you hand in marriage!! :tickled:

Your song suggestions are most excellent! In fact many (many) of your suggestions are in one shape or another, already on my list. To give you an idea:

- Anathema AFTD + AND (Most songs)
- Apocalyptica (1/2 of Reflections + I.S.)
- Audio Slave (1/2 Album)
- Delerium (LOTS and LOTS and LOTS! :D )
- Was going to look at Devin T
- Massive Attack - Teardrop
- Silly me should have thought to look into Novermbre and Tiamat
- The Gathering (Sleepy Buildings and Most of Sounviers)
- Pearl Jam (Almost All)
- Porcy Tree (In Absentia)
- Silverchair (Diorama n Most of Neon Ballroom)

And that's just from the stuff you listed! ;)

I would tell you the rest here (and I may just yet! :p ) But that would make for an incredibly long list.

Ta! I am looking into your other suggestions now.... And guess what, by dumb luck a STEREOPHONICS CD stumbled into work today (Just enough education to perform) So I am giving it a spin at home now. Not to shabby if I do say so myself. ;)

snow2fall said:
Btw, I totally forgot to mention Coldplay.

Oh yes, and coldplay is already on there... never fear. ;)

I'm really really wanting to squeeze some Dargaard on there Thomas (I already know 'em pretty damn well) But I'm failng to see how it would work. It's too... Dargaardy :erk: