I bet you've never gotten an email like this:

You know, a lot of [anyone's] prospective clients read these forums; they're well known as a resource for talent and work. Also, as a human being, you should be able to tell a ton about a band by their correspondence; it shouldn't be a task figuring out who you want to work with. It's generally a good idea to keep the idea of business in a positive light. You can make the best of working with almost any band (unless they steal your money, or slander your name, in which case you can publicly blacklist them) and politely decline their offers or inquiries to work with you. I've made anonymous comments about miserable engineers who don't wipe their own wave file's ass after they take a shit, but that's more so an embarrassment on the part of the engineer and not the band. If you love what you do, just keep on truckin'.

When you think about it, how would Bon Scott or Keith Moon come across if they wrote an email as 17 year olds?

When you think about it, how would Bon Scott or Keith Moon come across if they wrote an email as 17 year olds?

Probably not like this. I remember being 17 and in an up and coming band. No one in my band talked like this, especially to someone they didn't know.
Anyone with social skills should know how to send an email that doesn't make you sound like an arrogant, cocky person. Even if this band was amazing, i would have a hard time making myself record someone with an attitude like that.

Yeah if a band sent Charles or I an email like this we probably wouldn't respond to it. Yeah it is money but sometime's the money is not worth the bullshit that come's along with a project. Def not when the kid has no true concept of how thing's work. Even when you work with someone who has done some big release's that is no golden ticket that your band will get signed. IMO

Yeah if a band sent Charles or I an email like this we probably wouldn't respond to it.

...aaand here we have the single most annoying pet peeve of mine. Not hearing from clients is fucking lame, and not hearing from companies I send inquiries to is even lamer. Why? Because they're running a business, and unless you're CLA, there's no excuse to write even a couple of polite words saying "Thank you, but unfortunately we can't do that. Good luck!"

IMO there's no excuse to ignore potential clients no matter who they are. Too booked to answer all the emails? Get a manager then.

...aaand here we have the single most annoying pet peeve of mine. Not hearing from clients is fucking lame, and not hearing from companies I send inquiries to is even lamer. Why? Because they're running a business, and unless you're CLA, there's no excuse to write even a couple of polite words saying "Thank you, but unfortunately we can't do that. Good luck!"

IMO there's no excuse to ignore potential clients no matter who they are. Too booked to answer all the emails? Get a manager then.

this has been discussed a million times on here. Some people (such as myself) don't want to tell a band that (essentially) they are not good enough to record here. Wording it like that obviously makes me sound like an ass, but no matter how you word it, that's basically what you'd be telling them. Run your business however you prefer. To me, not replying can be taken in several different ways(usually not negative), but sending a candy coated message telling the band you're not interested in recording can be easily taken the wrong way. Bands get easily butthurt about shit like that.

Also, some people dont want to pay a manager 15% to answer your emails for you.

To each his own. we actually do answer back 99% of our email's just sometime's there is that 1% that I won't write back to.

this has been discussed a million times on here. Some people (such as myself) don't want to tell a band that (essentially) they are not good enough to record here. Wording it like that obviously makes me sound like an ass, but no matter how you word it, that's basically what you'd be telling them. Run your business however you prefer. To me, not replying can be taken in several different ways(usually not negative), but sending a candy coated message telling the band you're not interested in recording can be easily taken the wrong way. Bands get easily butthurt about shit like that.

Also, some people dont want to pay a manager 15% to answer your emails for you.

+1 this is exactly how i feel about this type of situation

this has been discussed a million times on here. Some people (such as myself) don't want to tell a band that (essentially) they are not good enough to record here. Wording it like that obviously makes me sound like an ass, but no matter how you word it, that's basically what you'd be telling them.
Run your business however you prefer. To me, not replying can be taken in several different ways(usually not negative), but sending a candy coated message telling the band you're not interested in recording can be easily taken the wrong way. Bands get easily butthurt about shit like that.

So it's better to post their e-mail publicly on an internet forum so everyone can have a laugh at them? Come on.

Oh wow.

I used to act just like this.
I've sent tons of retarded and embarrassing emails to many people, including Phil and CJ at Sonic Assault, I think. Hahahaha, sorry guys. :p

When I used to do shit like that, it was because I was astoundingly inexperienced in anything having to do with music..
All I knew is that I wanted to become successful, I had no idea how, but I had a LOT of time to think.

And when I started thinking, I formulated bunches of scenarios of being successful.
So I emailed labels and management companies saying "sign us you fucking assholes" or "manage us and shit okay" and hoped that I would see a reply.

For a young person who knows nothing, this whole business is a big scary place. And you kind of have to have no shame because people who don't know a lot but are really ambitious are just bound to do embarrassing shit.

I massively respected anybody who actually replied to me. I understood that what I was usually asking was kind of stupid. Not getting a response told me one thing, and only ever one thing:
"These guys are assuming I'm not serious which sucks because I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS" lol

Also, I believe I've said and done some really stupid things on here [not just in emails to people], for lack of shame and knowledge, that I would like to apologize for at this moment.
Kids like that aren't "morons," they just don't understand shit and are really hopeful. Treat them kindly. :D

Just try to respond politely. In my opinion, that's the best way to deal with this kind of thing because eventually, they will learn what the fuck they're talking about [like I have] and become easier to deal with.

On another note, one extremely successful dumb email I sent was to Jamie King.
Instead of just ignoring my ridiculous description of what I WANTED to happen, he actually went with it and taught me a lot.

For instance, I once thought all drums were recorded in a single audio file and I was about to send Jamie a stereo audio file of all the programmed drums for my silly band so he could mix an EP.
I can't imagine how much he laughed at my expense, or if he even did.
Looking back, it's pretty fuckin' funny. And I respect Jamie insanely for being such a cool guy.

So it's better to post their e-mail publicly on an internet forum so everyone can have a laugh at them? Come on.

usually not, but there is that .01% that is just too much to bear. I had to share it with you guys:lol:

Oh wow.

I've sent tons of retarded and embarrassing emails to many people, including Phil and CJ at Sonic Assault, I think. Hahahaha, sorry guys. :p

When I used to do shit like that, it was because I was astoundingly inexperienced in anything having to do with music..
All I knew is that I wanted to become successful, I had no idea how, but I had a LOT of time to think.

And when I started thinking, I formulated bunches of scenarios of being successful.
So I emailed labels and management companies saying "sign us you fucking assholes" or "manage us and shit okay" and hoped that I would see a reply.

For a young person who knows nothing, this whole business is a big scary place. And you kind of have to have no shame because people who don't know a lot but are really ambitious are just bound to do embarrassing shit.

I massively respected anybody who actually replied to me. I understood that what I was usually asking was kind of stupid. Not getting a response told me one thing, and only ever one thing:
"These guys are assuming I'm not serious which sucks because I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS" lol

Also, I believe I've said and done some really stupid things on here [not just in emails to people], for lack of shame and knowledge, that I would like to apologize for at this moment.
Kids like that aren't "morons," they just don't understand shit and are really hopeful. Treat them kindly. :D

Just try to respond politely. In my opinion, that's the best way to deal with this kind of thing because eventually, they will learn what the fuck they're talking about [like I have] and become easier to deal with.

Instead of just ignoring my ridiculous description of what I WANTED to happen, he actually went with it and taught me a lot.

For instance, I once thought all drums were recorded in a single audio file and I was about to send Jamie a stereo audio file of all the programmed drums for my silly band so he could mix an EP.
Looking back, it's pretty fuckin' funny. And I respect Jamie insanely for being such a cool guy.

That was actually pretty cool of Jamie to go out of his way to explain stuff to you. Unfortunately i'm nowhere near as patient as that guy(my old band recorded with him). He's also a decade or more older than me, and probably 20 years more mature than i am haha.

Oh wow.

Your email's were funny but i always wrote back to you. Plus your band had really cool idea's. Would of been fun to work with you guy's

Who is Jamie King (google only finds this choreographer dude)? This guy?

It's the thebasementrecordingnc link.

Your email's were funny but i always wrote back to you. Plus your band had really cool idea's. Would of been fun to work with you guy's

Yeah, haha. I couldn't remember if you replied to them all.
Anyways, apologies to both you and CJ. I remember being all like "see now I've gotta cancel the original plans because we planned to record with Jamie King and he's, well, ya know, Jamie King. He produced BTBAM and they are my favorite so yeah sorry."

Or something along the lines of that. It's terrible.

I even recently contacted CJ via facebook message, for which I am also sorry and embarrassed.

Just VERY recently, am I starting to get the bigger picture and become less of a hopeful youngster.

I started paying rent a month ago. I think that's why. :headbang:

Seriously, I want to record with you guys at least once in my life time.
Just gotta make sure I've got the money and everything before I even ask to prevent any of this foolishness from occurrence. Haha :lol:

It's the thebasementrecordingnc link.

Yeah, haha. I couldn't remember if you replied to them all.
Anyways, apologies to both you and CJ. I remember being all like "see now I've gotta cancel the original plans because we planned to record with Jamie King and he's, well, ya know, Jamie King. He produced BTBAM and they are my favorite so yeah sorry."

Or something along the lines of that. It's terrible.

I even recently contacted CJ via facebook message, for which I am also sorry and embarrassed.

Just VERY recently, am I starting to get the bigger picture and become less of a hopeful youngster.

I started paying rent a month ago. I think that's why. :headbang:

Seriously, I want to record with you guys at least once in my life time.
Just gotta make sure I've got the money and everything before I even ask to prevent any of this foolishness from occurrence. Haha :lol:

hahaha, no worries dude!!! no need to apologize or feel embarrassed.

as for the rest of this thread, all i have to say is that its up to YOU, just like any other business, on how you handle and view things of this nature.

Phil was spot on with what he posted, but that's just how WE roll. With the amount of inquiries we get and all the time that's spent responding PROFESSIONALLY to these emails, sometimes you just gotta cut that fat...

i can see how it may suck from the BANDS point of view, but we're running a business here. it's not our OBLIGATION to tell bands, 'hey, you're nowhere NEAR ready to record. do some research'.

to me, the band has to NATURALLY develop this 6th sense so to speak, hahaha...

and sometimes, the band may actually be AMAZING but I may feel that I can't add anything to their 'sound' whether it be a genre thing, or mostly just a VIBE thing....

it's hard to verbalize and it's a touchy subject, but, guess what, IT HAPPENS.

i try my best to get back to everyone whether they're looking to book time in the studio OR just need some advice, all at NO CHARGE.

so, what's to complain about?

/end rant.

@John: thanks for the compliments dude, i'm sure we'll be working together soon =D i appreciate your enthusiasm dude =D you fucking rock..

facepalm.gif