Just got an email that I don't have the answers to

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Worked with a band recently and got this email:

Hi Nick,

I’m Dan, _______'s dad. I know the band has really enjoyed working with you, and we are gearing up for the EP release. Since this is sans-label I am coordinating a number of things and wanted to ask you about meta data to be included in the masters. As I understand it we need to have ISRC and UPC numbers for each song for proper tracking on music sites. Some sites like TuneCore say they can do that but I think I’d prefer we set this up. And the song’s title needs to be in the meta data too? Anything else?

Any insight would be great and if it is easier to discuss on the phone that’d be fine too.

Many thanks,

Dan

Any more info on this would be helpful.

Yes, ISRC code's need to be obtained by the band if they are doing a self release, they can get those from the RIAA via mail. Then you need proper burning software that allows you add ISRC codes to the songs when burning. If you offer Mastering as a professional service you should know how to prep a CD for release... That is the primary function of a ME.

Dave

I did use google haha. I just was wondering why the hell he was asking me about this. I just supply the WAVS from the sound of it.

Thanks everybody!

The band should supply you with all the info and codes but it is the mastering engineers job to add it to the master CD. Use Sony CD Architect as it allows you to do complete red book mastering including inserting CD text and ISRC codes etc, eveything he is asking for. It is a great program and if you do offer a mastering service this is a must have because offering a mastering service impies that you all ready know what is required and ANY CD pegged for release or scanned sales need this info.