I cant listen to music normally.

Fragarach

Feb 21, 2010
Since I've started reading up on audio production and benn trying to do something I just cant help wondering how did XYZ get this tone or how did he go about getting that snare sound.

Is this normal? Cus music listening used to be fun and more like a stress buster now there are too many things going on in my mind even if I hear 20 seconds of it.

Man, you'll never listen to music normally again. To be honest, there are times when I avoid listening to music because it bugs me to be listening to things and suddently I find myself thinking "Hey, what a great ___INSERT INSTRUMENT HERE___ sound. He ___compresser/Eq'd/whatevered____ this this way". It is just too annoying.

For the guys that drink...Does booze/weed helps with that? I mean, when you're stoned, are you able to forget you're an AE ?

/weed helps with that? I mean, when you're stoned, are you able to forget you're an AE ?

Seriously, for me it helps def a little bit.
I'm totally stoked by the playing or melodies, so I forget for a short time all the comps, Eq's and offset in depth:err:

And I love these moments!

I try to look at this deployment as positiv as I can do, because it's a sort of curiousness, which is a good(but sometimes annoying) thing.

Cool topic.

or go re-listen to your favourite albums and see which ones stick as your favourites, and which ones you love the songs but cant possibly listen to again as the production is shity.

another good trick to listening to music normally is to listen to different types of music open your mind, to evvverything.

I can't listen to music objectively like I did before, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying it at all. I still constantly listen to music and am able to enjoy it better now than I ever had in the past.

To be honest, occasionally I do enjoy a song or even an album for the music itself and without listening to how things sound, but that only happens when the production doesn't suck and usually it's when the music is of a style that I don't record or listen to a lot.

I did have a while where I was into all the technical details, now I am more interested in whether the production is good as a bigger picture, and I have gotten into rawer productions.
If anything it's overall deepened my enjoyment of music.

Heh, if anything my appreciation for music has deepened too.
I've never found it hard to just put on music and just enjoy it for the music, and then for the times when I need too, look at it more objectively.

you just managed to draw more information from a piece of audio. i think we still are able to enjoy music by itself, it's just that we expanded our perception.
like a cook who can taste the spices and ingredients of food.
it just gives a better consciousness of what is good and what not (like there is more to dislike, you also are able to enjoy on a deeper level now).

So what do you guys do now? Watch TV instead?

too much studio trickery there too, they use green screens even on every day drama shows like "Monk" to clear up the streets. And after I visited a studio that specializes on doing sound design for documentaries, I haven't been able to watch nature documentaries the same way either, because now I know that none of the sounds you see on the screen came from the same source as what the camera sees. For example there was a shot where a groundhog was eating a nut, but the soundfile said "cat eating a herring", which was then pitched slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the endless world of misery called audio production. That is just the first step. I haven't been able to listen to music "normally" after I mixed one of my first gigs in the late 90's.

Haha, I haven't been able to listen to anything normally since i started getting into music production :D But I still enjoy listening to music, especially if its been well produced :loco:

i can't stand stuff that i dont love the production of..

You see, it's the opposed for me. I can listen an album if the music is good, I don't care if the production is good or not. But I'll never be able to listen to an album which the production is awesome but I don't like the music, like Stabbing the drama.

i don't have a problem listening to a good record without thinking about all the technical aspects. my problem is that I just plain don't feel like listening to music most of the time... couple years of 6-7 day weeks in the studio will do that. podcasts and talk radio ftw.