I finally got into MAYH...

Sepulchrive

New Metal Member
Apr 18, 2003
Gent, Belgium (Europe)
I own every Opeth release except Orchid but for some reason I never really got into My Arms, Your Hearse. Well, I do consider April Ethereal one of their best songs, and Demon of the Fall kicks ass, but other than that this album has been a big enigma to me.

So finally, after all this time, it hit me last night while I was listening; man does When rule or what? And the "Amen Corner"... I was like :OMG: how could I not have heard this all along. I might even go out and see this easily blows Still Life and Blackwater Park out of the water. What do you guys think?

Orchid is a compositional mess....I remember when I was first getting into it and I thought Forest of October was my favourite Opef song...nowadays I can't believe how amateurishly its put together in comparison with everything after Orchid. Tis weird.

Karma took me a LONG time to get into. At first I was like, holy crap this is easily their worst song. But after giving it more and more chances it hit me. Those screams at the end are awesome. Also the mellow part in the middle is great. It's easily top 3 on the CD and one of the heaviest Opeth has put out. And Epilogue is a great instrumental, the best Opeth instrumental (although there isn't really that much competition).

My problem with this album is:

1. Mikael´s clean voice

2. "Karma" and "When"

I just don´t like them. In "When" its the part where "demise" is repeated like four times. I mean WTF is that? Supossed to be the creative Opeth, not a second rate band (Sorry it just pisses me off). "Karma", well I guess i just don´t dig it. I agree ,though, that "April Eth"(One of my favs), "Amen" and "Demon" are good songs but aside from that, the album offers me little.

Orchid is a really sloppy album and all the songs have the same theme from the first song, so that annoys me.
the screaming vocals on Orchid and Morningrise don't suit me well; they're too high. i like the later stuff better.
but MAYH is a gem, it has an awesome flow to it.

MAYH is an amazing album, it blows me away every time I listen to it.

I love the part in april ethereal:

"The rain was waving goodbye
And when the night came
The forest folded its branches around me
Something passed by and I went into a dream
She, laughing and weeping at once
'Take me away'"

That whole bit is soooo good, I love the music driving behind the vox. Excellent stuff.