Awesome moments on MAYH

Only Human said:
I don't really like Still Life's production...seems a bit murky to me, and the acoustic sound is terrible.

MAYH is a masterpiece in every way.

wrong. i love both albums, but you have it backwards. production on MAYH is muddy and its acoustics don't sound as clear as SL's. SL's production had some problems, but MAYH is definetly "muddier" or more murky.

arpconana said:
did anybody else notice in april ethereal, the line, "I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure." Mikael mispronounces "scythe" with a hard "C" sound? i just noticed that the other day and though it was pretty funny.

it can be said either way.

I can't pick, I just can't. Perfect album.
But I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and listened to Credence>Karma. Love it.

I too have to go for the acoustic start of the "chorus" in Demon of the Fall, it sounded awesome the first time, and it still does. It's a little thing, but I think the idea of using an acoustic guitar on a heavy riff like that is just genious. And the chorus that follows is pure \,,/.

best moments on MAYH? ok, lets go:

- the absolute most brilliant part of the album is imo the moment Amen Corner starts after Madrigal, such a pwning Riff! breathtaking.

- the second solo in the amen corner

- "eerie circles above the waters....YEAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!''

- "this day wept on my shoulder"

- ''Tha rain was wavin' goodbye/and when the night came the forest folded it's branchens around me....''

- whisper: ''so there i was'' ...growl: ''SO THERE I WAS...''

When - "I heard whispers in the parlour..."
The Amen Corner - from 3:15 to the end. Especially when he says "...florid MEADOOOOWWW."
Demon of the Fall - the "Run away, run away" part.
Credence - "Recognize my loneliness." And the outro is amazing.
Karma - probably my favorite song on the album. I love when he sings "the bed is cold and empty." But the acoustic/clean section at about 3:40 is my favorite section on the album.
Epilogue - perfect ending to a near perfect album.

My favorite moments are:
April ethereal: Clean singing part and ''The rain was waving goodbye..."
When: "the gate was closed that day..." and clean vocals in the end.
Credence: Whole song.

That guitar part ofApril Ethereal. You know which one.
When. The intro and the last 4 minutes of it(I think).
The heavy part of DotF.
The whole Credence track, and also Prologue.

MAYH is not bad.

Epilogue into April Ethereal .. perfection.
"The rain was waving goodbye" and the outro.

"I heard whispers through the parlour" and "And i cried" parts in When.

"The final spark that blew life into me, the Demon of the fall" .. that line.. sends shivers down my spine.

"Just one second, and then i was left with nothing" .. the riff that starts just before that to end the of the song for Demon Of The Fall.

Credence in whole.. that song is their best fully acoustic song no doubt.

The 2nd riff in Karma .. that is one of my favourite Opeth riffs ever .. awesome stuff.

:headbang: I think it is safe to say that this album has TOO many fine moments to name.

Aye, I'll just name what I think is the best moment for me on the entire disc - in The Amen Corner - beginning at that "goosebump-inducing" acoustic part right until near the end before the "...and so I rose from my sleep" part. This seriously kills almost anything they've ever done. Even the solo during this part is insanely good as it flows so well with the rest of the section. The clean vocals? SUPERB!

Ah, such a wondrous moment for a song that's NOT even my #1 off the album. That title goes to April Ethereal - because from beginning to end, it is all TOO marvelous. YES, "the rain is waving goodbye" is an incredible part for sure.

MAYH is just brilliant. Absolute perfection from beginning to end.

My favorite part is the second half of When, starting with the acoustic parts...very eerie. I still remember the first time I heard that. I especially love the last few clean singing lines over the heavy instrumentals...

"When can I take you from this place?
When is the word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When can we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?
When is the new beginning, and the end of this sad Madrigal?"

Well most of my faves have been mentioned so I won't rehash. But, two of my fave opeth moments ever are when the heavy part of When just crashes in during the beginning and he screams 'Red sun rising'.

The other is the beginning of Demon of the Fall. When Mike comes in with 'Silent dance with death' it is so incredibly oppressive and encompassing, eclipsing the guitars, bass, drums, everything. The way he says that line and 'The blink of an eye" are just incredibly powerful. DotF is actually my favorite use of death vocals of any song ever.

Mmmm, I'm going to have to listen to Demon of the Fall now. Oh, and the way he sings "her fragrance still pulsing through damp air" with the chord changes is wonderful.

"And i cry", best part of any opeth song imo, i am SO glad i got to hear that live

In demon of the fall after the first acoustic part the RARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH, Awsome.

the whole fucking KARMA, but esp.:

- 0:57 - 1:15 the clean 'aaahhh' part + the diabolic growl afterwards
- 1:30 - 2:40 definitely my favourite Opeth part of all times (along with ending of
When), Mike's vox ('I have gooone awaaayyyyiiiiihh...') kill everything
- 3:52 - 4:41 one of my favouite acoustic parts
- 4:42 - 5:25 this part is simply amazig, the interchang between acoustic and
heavy guitars...breathtaking, + the line 'the cold season...', pure
winter.

Amen Corner:

- 3:14 - 3:58 amazing acoustic part
- 3:59 - 5:05 this is easily the most evil-sounding part of an Opeth song!
- 5:34 - 6:35 'the celestial touch...', Mike's best clean vocal performance of all
time, imo (maybe not technically, but for sure emotionally)
- 6:55 - 6:59 'eerie Circles...', this part is creepy as hell...
- 7:08 - 7:21 & 7:29 - 7:43 this amazig riff could well fit on Orchid of Morningrise

When:

- 1:26 - 2:43 'This Day wept...', this pat is perfect for headbanging...
- 2:58 - 3:29 what a soothing acoustic part...
- 7:44 - 9:16 the best ending of an Opeth song EVER. brilliant and breathtaking...

April Ethereal:

- 0:00 - 0:50 & 1:23 - 1:49 what a kickass killer riff! back in the times when i
bought MAYH i wasn't even remotely prepared for
this after Orchid and Morningrise, so after the piano
of Prologue comes AE and you can imagine how my
jaw dropped down. killer
- 4:24 - 5:31 a fantastic solo + perfect introduction to the acoustic part
afterwards
- 7:31 - 8:44 'i don't know how...' a great way to end this fantastic song

+ the whole Epilogue (best instrumental song) & Credence (best acoustic song)

all i want to say MAYH is a nearly perfect album, for sure Opeth's best and Karma is by far the most underrated Opeth song, and easily my favourite one.

Good thread.....

I will always remember MAYH for actually making me jump out of my skin. I had just bought the album and was doing something mundane in my room while listening to the album. The acoustic into to When came on and i wasn't paying much attention..then: -

RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Scared the living bejesus out of me.

^ Oh yeah ! :D That's the best kick off to a song I've ever heard :D I remember playing it to some fags who said Opeth can't play anything heavy... I remember the frightened stare on their faces :lol

a favourite part of mine is after about a minute in Karma, with the crescending "Aaaaahhh" and the following section. anyone knows what i mean?

[edit] oops, just saw the post above. Well it's a great part anyway...

The cathy riff on Epilogue.
When Mikael goes, "haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" in Karma (58 sec).
The acoustic part in The Amen Corner, and ""Eerie circles upon the waters.....RAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (6 min 54 sec).

I love the whole album, its just fucking amazing.