Favourite Opeth moments?

Dec 27, 2006
Sorry if this has been done before, just wondering which parts of which songs make you jizz...

- The solo towards the end of A Fair Judgement
- The outro to Harlequin Forest and Deliverance
- The guitar part that starts at 3.10 in Godheads Lament (and the solo that precedes it and the vocal part that proceeds it)
- The way Prologue segues into April Ethereal, and that intro riff just sounds like an evil fucking thunderstorm!
- When the vocals of Hours of Wealth kick in, and it's just so chilled
- The end of Weakness ("I'm not afraid of what you have just done, of what you've just become") such a great way to end the album
- Pretty much all of TNATSW (but especially the acoustic section beginning 2.50- the dual guitar melodies during this are so beautiful)
- The intro riff to the Leper Affinity

Man, there are just too many to list, but yeah would be cool to see what everyone else thinks

Has been done before but whatever. Pretty good calls, some of mine:

- The Twilight Is My Robe acoustic part ("The birds of the sun...")
- When outro
- Moonlapse Vertigo intro/outro
- Bleak solo
- Wreath "Calling me back, closure to bleak matters..." part
- Weakness

ok heres some of mine:

-Whole acoustic intro and outro in Dirge For November(especially the outro is the saddest piece of music ever written,maybe in competition with the acoustic part in To Live Is To Die)
-Second riff in Blackwater Park when the second guitar kicks in
-The line "in a holocaust scene memory" in Beneath the mire when several backing voices raises
-the "devil cracked the earthly shell"-part in Ghost of Perdition and also the aaaa part starting 1:23 in the song,as well as the finishing heavy version of the same piece
-solo in hours of wealth
-whole mornigrise is an opeth moment :)
-"white face,haggard grin"-part in Serenity painted death,those vocals..sounds as mikael is turning himself inside out in a way
-"come with me far away to staaay"-part in Face of melinda
-the bonus songs for BWP still day beneath the sun and patterns in the ivy II
-all acoustic parts in the song Deliverance as well as the ending riff when the piano thing comes in..that´s hypnotic
-Hope Leaves
-the heavenly chorus in To rid the disease
-intro April Ethereal
-Demon of The Fall(of course!)
-Long acoustic part in Under the Weeping Moon as well as the sabbath-y ending riff

there,excerpts from every album,but still not enough hehe

"Each and everyone will die by my hand, choking in warm (something, can't get that part) of blood!" - Serenity Painted Death. Just sounds so freaking sad, you know?

All of Demon of The Fall, especially as I can finally play it (guitar).

"Your laughter weeps the truth" - Credence. One of the best lines ever, period.

'lost are days of spring' bit inthe leper affinity

Bending the shit out of the twelth fret when playing the opening lead to drapery (personal fav) and the double kick drum outro is orgasmic!

both solos in wreath

The hammer on interlude thingy in hope leaves

TNATSW

To bid you farewell vocals, always found them intensly sincere for some reason, something to do with girlfriends isnt it?

Epilouge- Totally best instrumental they have done period

to many to talk about but the covers the favs

Demon Of The Fall - guitar interlude at 2:15 that leads into "Demon, Demon of the Fall..."

Deliverance - from 5:40 thru the end

Windowpane - the instrumental part in the middle, around 3:48

The entire middle section of Reverie/HF 2:33 to 7:18

Serenity Painted Death - the part Desperation mentioned before, and from 7:00 thru the end (including the amazing outro)

A Fair Judgement - "Leave It Be, it was meant for me..." 4:32 to 5:44

The Drapery Falls - from 5:03 to 7:46

Intro to The Moor

The chorus to Credence

Hours of Wealth - from 1:47 to 2:23, when the keys come in (*sigh*, so beautiful)

ALL of Benighted

Hours Of Wealth - the whole singing part and the solo
Isolation Years - ALL
Black Rose Immortal - the mellow part when he goes: "sunbirds leave the dark recess..." till the orgasmic solo
To Bid You Farewell - lyrics
Demon Of The Fall - the ending, "just one second, and I was left with nothing..."
Epilogue - love the piano and guitar
Deliverance - the outro, of course
Bleak - "Tedious movements in your eyes..."
The Drapery Falls - "Spiralling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away", but the whole song is an Opeth moment.
Godhead's Lament - "Though I could not leave this place on this imminent day", and the part just before that
Blackwater Park - "The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park" ... I get chills down my spine everytime I hear that growl

EDIT: how could I forget A Fair Judgement's solo! One of the best soloes ever in my opinion.

Simply put, the riff about 7:40 into Blackwater Park is probably the most malevolant riff I have ever heard... Lose my mind every time...

Peace

I think I have underrated the song Blackwater Park... lately I can't get enough of that song.

Favorite Opeth moment has to be the guitar solo on A Fair Judgement. The first two minutes of Master's Apprentices is pretty damn good though...

There are way too many great moments on Morningrise to mention them all...

Forgot, when the second distorted riff comes and the silence that follows in The Moor. Just enough time to catch your breath before the layered roar and scream. It may be two seperate vocals, but DAMN it's badass.

When the vocals (not the growl) kick in during The Amen Corner's great too, I love that song. Working on it along with Advent, can't get the second verse riff down yet.

The first two minutes of Master's Apprentices is pretty damn good though...

I totally agree with you. Amazing part there...

3:44 to 6:40 of In Mist She Was Standing is quite good. You know, the first acoustic segment, and the explosive guitars after.

The middle section and the outro of Black Rose Immortal
The outro of TNATSW
The "souling in the midst of the moor!" part in Nectar
The middle solo of "The twilight is my robe"
The outro of April Ethereal
Demon of the fall
The intro of Godhead' s Lament
The outro of Moonlapse Vertigo
The intro of The Leper Affinity
The outro of The Funeral Portrait
The outro of Deliverance
Ghost of Perdition
Hours of Wealth

Simply put, everything.

But there are specially lots of moments on Still Life, Deliverance and Damnation (I'm currently hooked on the guitar of To Rid the Disease).

Some favourites:

"When can I take you from this place?
When is the word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?
When is the new beginning and the end of this sad madrigal?"
- When

"Come into this night
Here we'll be gone
So far away from our weak and crumbling lives."
- Benighted

"Speak to me now and the world will crumble
Open a door and the moon will fall
All of your life, all your memories
Go to your dreams, forget it all"
- Death Whispered a Lullaby

"In time the hissing of her sanity
Faded out her voice and soiled her name
And like marked pages in a diary
Everything seemed clean that is unstained
The incoherent talk of ordinary days
Why would we really need to live?
Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
What you should take and what to give"
- Ghost of Perdition

"Lost love of the heart
In a holocaust scene memory"
- Beneath the Mire

"They are the trees
Rotten pulp inside and never well
Roots sucking, thieving from my source
Tired boughs reaching for the light
It is all false pretension
Harlequin forest
Awaiting redemption for a lifetime
As they die alone
With no one by their side
Are they forgiven?"
- Reverie/Harlequin Forest

This is a great thread, especially because I experienced a "favorite" Opeth moment while driving the other morning. I was listening to "Rid the Disease" and when the 1st chorus came in, I experienced massive goose bumps and was flooded with a well of emotion. The contrast between the verse being so dark and melancholy, with the chorus being very beautiful and bright just really does it for me. It made me realize that Opeth is one of the very few bands that has the ability to give me goose bumps/chills, and to affect me on an emotional level. Actually, I think the only other music that does this to me is certain classical pieces, or music AND scene combos from specific movies.

There are so may great Opeth moments I could list out... It'd take me way too long. Most of you have already mentioned the majority that I appreciate.

I'd have to say my #1 favorite Opeth moment is the intro riff to "The Drapery Falls" which also just so happens to be my favorite metal song of all time. The combo between the rhythm chords, guitar harmony, bass line and the flowing drum beat = greatness.