Favourite Opeth Moments

Im suprised no one has said it yet but the ending to In The Mist She Was Standing is incredible. The last 2-3 min just put me in a trance. I love it.

The ending to Karma is amazing also. Its so heavy and gets me pissed off every time I hear it.

Some others that have been mentioned already are the "what would they care..."part of Godhead's Lament and the "bring me through...guide me inside your warped labyrinth.."part of Nectar. They get the emotions running.

I think if people keep posting long enough, then eventually, every second of every record will be covered. It's kinda like that infinate number of monkeys on an infinate number of typewriters thing... well, not really.

Anyways, now that I've given everyone else a chance to post, here's a few more...

The last verse of Under the Weeping Moon

around the 7:30-8:30 mark of Apostle in Triumph... there's no other Opeth moment that sounds even remotely like it. And, the end of the song "As the rain keeps falling..."

The Night and The Silent Water - "Am I like them, those who mourn and turn away..." and the bit that follows

Nectar - from 6:20 to 8:10 or so... incl. the "Invisible eyes, red reflections" part

the middle of To Bid You Farewell, with the Pink Floyd-y trippy guitar overlays

the transition from April Ethereal to When

Credence. Period.

the 2:50 mark of Epilogue, when both guitars (I think... maybe the Hammond in there as well?) break into the final resounding melody of the record

The heavy riff during the first verse of SPD, then Mike grunts (I think) "Pale!" before the first "White faced, haggard grin, this Serenity Painted Death...". It reminds me of Dan Swano's "Hail! Hail the king" from Crimson.

The chorus of Harvest (I love it very much...)

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn

The Night and The Silent Water - "Am I like them, those who mourn and turn away..." and the bit that follows

yea man! That is so horribly cool. The thing that gets me is the inflection in his voice when he sings this part, it's so sad and dispairing and almost weeping. I absolutely love the way he pronounces ".... mourn...", like he is sobbing, how the hell does he do that? The man has a gift.

For the few of you that maybe don't know this, this song is about the death of his grandfather. I read an interview and he talked about how he and his family were in the hospital basically watching him die. Very sad stuff, what a guy to write a tune about it, it shows the depth of his honesty and openess. Great lyrics. He talked about how that's one of the reasons why morningrise is so painful, around that time his gf cheated on him too and he said something about how she had died in his eyes. It's amazing that the lyrics are as painful as the music. If anyone has ever had a gf cheat on him then they understand the emotions of nectar, the hate/anger/pain/pleasure sensations that I never thought would ever be successfully transcribed into music.

Opeth is the purest form of high art. It has no boundaries or pretense or direction. It flows out in all directions at once with multitudes of emotions mixed together. No other group can make me sad and pissed at the same time, or happy and sad, or happy and pissed, etc, it's just whacky. It enables me to experience mixes and flavours of emotions which I never knew existed and I'm sure many of the people who frequent this board would agree. Opeth have substantially raised the bar on standards for progressive music and I think they will be one of those "classic" bands (like yes or floyd or zepplin something) which will be enjoyed and awed for many many years to come. The music is timeless.

Satori

Oooohh... SOOOOO many to choose from!!!!

The one that pops into mind first is the beginning of Serenity Painted Death. The sorta galloping intro. Reminds me of some knight from the olden days riding on a white horse through the woods in the rain on a foggy day in November.

Was that description pretentious enough for you? At any rate, it's a GREAT song!

Jeez...what to pick. Well, my very favorite would have to be Mikael's "Run away...." vocals during Demon of the Fall. Hearing that live drove me to the brink of tears, while screaming for all I was worth. :)

Also, when he whispers, "Black Rose Immortal" around the 15 minute mark, there's the acoustic part for about 2 minutes, and then the totally ripping solo.

Of course, there's the vocals at the very beginning of April Ethereal that slowly get louder before the music comes in and starts pummeling you. Ahhhh...., the fond memory of my first hearing of Opeth.

I have to mention the choruses of Harvest and The Drapery Falls as well.

Simply too many amazing parts. Then again, which parts aren't amazing?

Apostle in triumph is killer,also Face of Melinda and Birge for November.Actually my favorite moment was meeting the band after the show in Syracuse.If anybody else here saw that showI'd like to know what you thought of it.
Zarsel7

way to many to choose from but the few that stick out in my head right now, the last riff in credence, that fades out, the solo in white cluster, and the acoustic riff in the night and the silent water after "if only for another second," those parts are absolutely mindblowing.

Two of my favourite Opeth pieces

The end of "When", when the lyrics goes:

When can I take you from this place?
When is the word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?
When is the new beginning, the end of this sad Madrigal.
-

"To bid you farewell" from the guitarr play thst starts at 7:07 and going through the lyrics:

Devotion eludes
And in sadness I lumber
In my own ashes I am standing without a soul
She wept and whispered: "I know..."
-

That makes me shiver every time...

yes, yes......before you know it your at the end of an album and a rude awakening back into reality. I want to wrap myself in an Opeth cloak of their music and stay forever.

My favourite part right now is about 5:30 into the song Bleak. First there's this very beautiful prog sounding part and the lyrics goes something like this (can't remember exactly right now):
"help me cure you,
atone for all you've done,
help me clean you,
cause all the days are gone"

and then this damn heavy riff fades in and you just wanna bang your fucking head!!
Bleak is my favourite song off BWP right now.

Opeth's greatest moment is definitely the twin guitar harmony at the end of Epilogue......So beautiful and haunting, it is going to be the song played at my funeral, I guarantee!

Ok, I'm fishing this thread out of the "archives" and rescussitating it for my pleasure:)

My favorite moments, besides PRECISELY everything that everyone else has mentioned, is in The Night and the Silent Water - my favorite song, btw. The part with the twin guitars soaring, immediately following the lyrics "All your words are misgiven" That segment makes my day every time- i can listen to that part ad infinaetum, and never tire of it.

Have many.. But the most fave is that of April Ethereal's.. When he begins : ' the Rain was waving goodbyeeeeeee.. .' and till the last verse : ' take me awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.. '

Although I don't have a favorite, one of the best in my opinion is in "Under the Weeping Moon" starting at...

"With eyes of fire
Once unlit but now alive
This energy, sparkling
Like a morning star

The morning star!
...then through the fast part, it's insane!
Oh YEAH! also the very begining of "Forest Of October" then when the double-bass on the drums kicks in and it sounds like a new begining of the song and Mikael lets out a growl and a screem. I LOVE THAT! I was so excited when they played that at the concert!

Also on 'When' on the "Graven face! she said my naaaaaaaame" part !

and one 'Advent' :

"How i drape my face in my bare hands, the same that, brough me, here !"

and then there is this kick ass riff !

Another bit, probably one of my favourite parts that Mikael sings ever:

In In the Mist She Was Standing:

Arrival
I saw her shadow in the darkness
Awaiting me like the night awaits the day
Standing silent, smiling at my presence
A black candle holds the only light

The way he sings `Arrival' `presence' and `light' are just *incredible* :D

Cool thread.

ADVENT ADVENT ADVENT in its entirety. I cannot stress enough how great this song is.

In "Black Rose Immortal" when he starts with "Sunbirds leave their dark recesses" and all the way through to "...still so precious"

The first two verses of "To Bid You Farewell". Mikael's voice sounds so... human. The lyrics are beautiful as all hell. I get goosebumps.

"The Moor", when the guitars get huge and he starts with "The sigh of summer upon my return" in the best death vocals I've ever heard. And then towards the end after the light passage and he starts with "she is waterdrops over the pyre...". Incredible.

The riff in Bleak at about 6:30 or so... when the rythmn section comes in huge... wow, the tone is incredible.

The solo in The Funeral Portait.

Ah screw it, I could go on for days. Every moment is great.