Best Opeth Solo

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So, what's your favourite?

As an album I'd have to say Orchid holds my favourite Opeth solos... they just have this kind of prog sound, it's awesome...

As a song though, I'd have to say the 2 solos in Black Rose Immortal really do it best for me... sweet and short.

There´s some really good ones on Orchid, yes. The one in Godhead´s Lament is almost perfect. It creates a very beatiful harmony...not only a solo, I think, but an integral part of the song.
Moonlapse´s solo is fucking cool. Maybe my favorite. Only two chords at time under the solo. No other band could do a solo like that under two chords...Then Funeral Portrait. All Solos from it.In mist she was standing...Aaaah, I think there not even a single bad solo by Opeth. Aposle in the triumph is also worth mentioning...

The Orchid solos still enthrall me like no other. Twilight and Apostle especially - they exist in this perfect moment when you're ready but still a little tense in expectation. Eeach solo has its climax, some kind of big bend or singular effect that punctuates and emphasizes. Given the somewhat storied nature of the songs on Orchid, I'd like to think that the solos have some kind of meaning, and that the elements that make them up were carefully conceived to convey some kind of deeper meaning...

BUT having read about how the Orchid lyrics aren't really about "much of anything", maybe they're just bitchin' solos.

The Amen corner has that twin solo thing.. the first one is relatively simple, and the second one shreds. I like that idea - expanding on a prior idea.

And of course, Moonlapse Vertigo. And White Cluster (that bouncy trade-off is SWEET) and Blackwater Park (it sounds like disease..)

I cannot fathom how people (my gf) can't like guitar solos.. When done properly, they aren't pretentious or 80s (though many are) - when played with purpose in mind, not formula, then it's a genuine musical move and deserves as much respect (not always more..) than any other part of the song.

..But I long for that wail.....

I think Mike and Peter are HIGLY underrated lead players...Seeing them live, they fucking wail, the both of them..my fave solos...

White Cluster
When
Forest of October
Epilogue
Blackwater Park
The Funeral Portrait

No one has mentioned Serenity Painted Death.

It's such a warm sounding solo in a song like that.

I think Mike and Peter are HIGLY underrated lead players...Seeing them live, they fucking wail, the both of them..my fave solos...

Yeah, but Mike gets off a bit too much on the music at times and can screw up a note on the simplest song part (Drapery Falls) coz he's gettin so off on playin it... don't blame him though, it's the same here :). But respect to the man for singing, growling and playin guitar at the same time...

And Peter... he's just cool... I'm not really sure but I've never heard any evident screw ups from him on guitar... and he shakes more people's hands at the end of a show than Mikael :)

Ive heard even the best screw up, ive seen Opeth live, and Mike plays those solos with conviction and dint fuck up, I know what ur talking about though...on one of the videos hes messes up, his voice also cracks on another o wellz, like i said Ive heard the best screw up...And i kinda like screw ups live. O yeh and watchin peter solo, was a pleasant suprise, also, the way the nailed the dual lead at the end was White Cluster was amazing.

o yeh and Id take Mike and Peters solos over some shredder ANYDAY, they are all just PERFECT in their execution within the song, and this is comming from a former shred junkie (me) heheh

hahahah :lol: thanks, it weird cuz I dont shred much anymore, and I saw my friends band play on friday, and theya re like a pop band, that has a crazy shredder playing guitar (my friend) and I was like damn, I should start practicing again, me and him used to do this dual shred instrumental stuff together...so like the aspt few days, Ive regained my abilities, and on rehersal this wednesday, my band is gonna be exposed to severe wanking hahaha, lol I wank anyways in my band..tastefully though hehe

Ive only been playing like 3 1/2 yrs btw, and im only like 18 yrs old, so hopefully ill continue to get better, I just practice a WHOLE lot, too much at times hehe

Yeah figured that much... I've only been playing for one year and I'm 15.. I'm just starting to get into the whole soloing thing now though... btw, nice sounding guitar you have man, what is it?

For me, my favorite solo is probably from Serenity Painted Death. That rhythm riff is crazy and changes keys about 3 times and so it was really fun for me to figure that one out.

Also, I like the solos in the Amen Corner. I think they are the best from MAYH.

And I guess the first solo in Forest of October comes in third place :)