Awesome moments on MAYH

Mistress Bleak

Darkness by her side...
Dec 30, 2004
Voorhees, NJ
Since this somehow came up on the thread about "By The Pain I See In Others," I figured it deserved a thread, since MAYH does indeed have many a fine moment.

A few that immediately come to mind are the clean vocal part on "April Ethereal" and the guitar part/guitar solo that follows it. Also, that part with "The rain was waving goodbyeeeee..." That part fucking rules, as well as the outro. The clean vocal part in "When" also stands out, for sure, and that acoustic part in "The Amen Corner." Hell, the whole album rules, but certain moments definitely do stand out. What do you think are some of them?

The best part of that entire disc is during "When"... there is a clean acoustic part not too far into it, with this simple melody over top... then the song picks up, and the simple melody is continued. Wonderful stuff.

"And i cried", the rest of the song after this part and the preceding minute or so of When. By far the beest as far as im concerned, but there are numerous others i can think of.

Karma - "You have nothing left to find" etc

DOTF - Clearly, its the "Demon, Demon of the Fall" and "Run Away"

All of Credence and Epilogue

Man, what an album.

bonzer said:
"And i cried", the rest of the song after this part and the preceding minute or so of When. By far the beest as far as im concerned, but there are numerous others i can think of.

Karma - "You have nothing left to find" etc

DOTF - Clearly, its the "Demon, Demon of the Fall" and "Run Away"

All of Credence and Epilogue

Man, what an album.

i agree with this man. Also add "I don't know how or why, and i'll... never.... know WHEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNN" from April Ethereal. Fuck, that's like the most epic moment in all of Opeth. Plus how about the first clean section in The Amen corner? fucking amazing, especially right when the heavy part kicks in... "IT WAS THE ONLY TASK I WOULD UNDERTAKE"...

really, the whole CD is near flawless, and has their most intense and emotional moments all wrapped up into one. Plus the album actually FLOWS as a whole. Hence why it is my favorite :)

did anybody else notice in april ethereal, the line, "I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure." Mikael mispronounces "scythe" with a hard "C" sound? i just noticed that the other day and though it was pretty funny.

Still life is better. The story is more thought out, you can relate to it more (Trying to get a lost love). Also, the music is technically superior. Production is up a notch. Besides it has moonlapse vertigo that song has the best Opeth intro ever IMO.

shark22 said:
Funny how the trnds change. Before it was a fuss over SL, now a fuss over MAYH.

It's not a change in trends. It's OPETH being fussed over, and that'll never end.

shark22 said:
Still life is better. The story is more thought out, you can relate to it more (Trying to get a lost love). Also, the music is technically superior. Production is up a notch. Besides it has moonlapse vertigo that song has the best Opeth intro ever IMO.

but we are not talking about SL, we're talking about MAYH :Smug:

I've never fussed over SL. I always fuss over MAYH. Or possibly Morningrise. Always been between those two. Personally i never got why everyone holds SL so high. That album seems like the point where they dropped nearly ALL of the bleak and emotional mood and went for a more "rocky" album. One more in your face and headbang-ish. From that point on they never got it back. Still a good album, but in a completely different way... a less personal and introspective way.

I've got my MAYH moment.

I'd never heard of Opeth before and a friend of mine had MAYH and it was just playing in the background, I sorta noticed the prologue and that caught my ear but the thing that made me go "what the f*** is that" was during Demon of the fall, the acoutstic guitar midsong, the intense scream and then the chanting of "Demon, demon of the fall". what a fucking wake-up call, I was SO blown away.

That I'd then have to wait for the Delieverance tour before they set foot in Denmark that's another story...

When 4:32

"The gate was closed that day, but I was bound to carry on" followed by "Double bass kicks + cool guitar".......that`s the best part on the album.
:worship:

Yeah the ening of Karma is a total massacer (in a good way of course ;) ) but for me, the best moment of MAYH is the acoustic part of When where Mike sings 'Once inside I heard whispers in the parlour, the guilded face's grin, a word of my final demise'... Goddamn I love that one! Heck, I love the whole album!!! :D