I find it hard to get into black metal...

Pyrus said:
Superficial in terms of being the first thing you notice, perhaps, but let's face it–if you demand actual singing, you're not going to like extreme metal. It's a major thing to those who like melody.

...Says the man who likes Dark Angel. ;)

Oh, by the way, the Lunar Poetry version of Perun's Celestial Silver obliterates the NeChrist version.

o_0...

I just recently got into black metal. I started out trying to appreciate Darkthrone, Emperor and Burzum. I got into the later part of Emperor that most people in this board would disagree to how it's black metal, but really I don't care because I like it.
I couldn't stand Darkthrone and that kinda put me off black metal for awhile. All this changed when I tried out Deathspell Omega's Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice. That album got me hooked to black metal and now it's one of my favourite sub genres of metal. As most people have mentioned, black metal takes a very patient ear for music as it requires you to be engulfed in the atmosphere and let your mind wander.

I wouldn't tell you to stray away from black metal if you find it hard to get into for a while. It took me awhile to get used to it and eventually I found that behind the raw almost disgusting production with tortured sounding vocals is really good songwriting and the production really adds to it. Now these are my recommendations:

Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Enslaved - Eld, Monumention
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora, Forgotten Legends
Graveland - Thousand Swords

I know most of these are the more obscure bands, but really there is no easy way to get into black metal. Enjoy.

I strongly suggest checking out Ulver's first three albums and the Burzum song Det Som En Gang Var. I had problems getting into Emperor too, but those are the things that got me interested in black metal. Taake's Nattestid might be good for this too.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
o_0...

I just recently got into black metal. I started out trying to appreciate Darkthrone, Emperor and Burzum. I got into the later part of Emperor that most people in this board would disagree to how it's black metal, but really I don't care because I like it.

Exactly. Doesn't matter how you get into good music, so long as you get into it eventually :)

I have been getting more into Emperor. I bought Anthems about a week ago. The first half of the album is great. I wanted to get Prometheus, even though people bash it here. My favorite song off of the whole compilation I had was the Tongue of Fire. I also bought Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness. It gets kind of redundant though. I like Emperor better.

Emperor, if it is Black Metal at all, is rather at the outer fringe of the genre...
If you do not get into it that does not mean, that you do not get into (other) Black Metal..
Anyway, getting into BM is hard for most people, including myself (in the past), because many BM seems primitive, perhaps even idiotic at first listen, while in fact it is really deep art...

An album that i really loved at first listen was
Begrtatt by Ulver - it is what i consisder real BM, but with folk-influence... raw, atmospheric, beautifull...

If you like it, try also Gorgoroth's Antichrist. It is more or less similiar to Bergtatt (Imo), just less natural and more "evil"

You should definitely try out Burzum, but you should be prepared to be bored by it at first listen, at least i was...
Listening to it the first time is STILL somehow fascinating, so you will come back to it sooner or later...

Guardian of Darkness said:
Summoning was a good suggestion.

Personally, I don't rate Emperor very highly.

Agreed, but considering the fact they're new to black metal it's okay to like emperor a lot. In time and age if he enjoys black metal he'll realize Emperor aren't the cream of the crop.

For just starting out check out stuff like Naglfar, Marduk, Carpathian Forest, and eve Darkthrone if you want earliar stuff. Mayhem isn't a bad start either as well as Old Man's Child. None of these with the exception of Darkthrone are by any means great, but a good start if you want to check out more Black Metal :)

Oh and as for it "clicking" it clicked to me on a first listen and captured me ever since

this is the way I see black metal the "big" bands (if there is such a thing) are good C.o.F, dimmu borger, venom etc. but there are very few underground bands that are worth a shit (in my opinian) thats why not many people know about em, because its to damn weird. half the time its not really even metal its some goth goin crazy on an oragan but one real solid black metal band I found is called RAVENCULT you all should check em out its no oragans, no female vocals, no bullshit they remind me of diesection :headbang: