I got FIRED!

everyone's getting fired, this sucks!! You'd reckon you'll get something given tat you were still on probation!

ceydn said:
I just need a job until I get into uni next year.
I just need a job until I get out of uni next year.

I applied for Christmas work through Coles Myer, and aced the ridiculously easy apptitude test (again, I have done it before when I applied with them and didn't get a job a couple of years ago), so it would work out rather well if I was to pick up some work there through the holiday period. After that I will try to get a real job.

I'm pretty sick of my car wash job on weekends anyway. I will be glad to see the arse of it. Just a shame if I am strapped for cash for a while because of it.

If you guys can type well then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get a temp job doing data entry work. Easiest work in the world.

That's what I'm applying for Spiff... that's basically all I'm applying for. I'm at 90wpm with very good accuracy, and most only ask for 60.

But a lot of them want EXPERIENCE. How the fuck am I meant to get experience if you all want experience and won't hire me? GRRR.

I never had data entry experience when I started. Make sure you go through temp companies and not out of the paper. The pay is better than doing the same job full time. Sure, you have next to no rights, they can tell you at the drop of a proverbial hat that they want you to leave, but it's better pay and more flexible.

I might be interested in something like that next year if I can't find anything else. I am considering doing a post grad program with a big company (Telstra and Coles Myer look to have the best programs as far as I can tell) but applications have all closed for next year, so I might poke around for a year then get serious. I am not sure.

ceydn said:
But a lot of them want EXPERIENCE. How the fuck am I meant to get experience if you all want experience and won't hire me? GRRR.

Just go for them anyway - you're bound to find someone who is willing to give you a go. That's what happened to me recently - 6 months out of year 12 and never worked a day in my life.

And they also gave me an interesting gamble - at the second interview the state manager gave me two options, I could wait a week, the position would be re-advertised and if no one was a better candidate I would get the position straight off and have no 3 month trial period. The second option was to agree to a 3 month trial on award wage only (although they're paying me above award :err: ) and he offered me the job that day. Anyone else encountered situations like this?

Fulltime data entry is a mug's game. Even if you do do data entry for 12 months of the year like I do, at least there's a good chance that you'll be at different companies and therefore inputting different data. Like, since I've started temping I've input animal cruelty reports, correspondence for a renewable energy company, loan applications, medical surveys and applications for people who want to work with kids. So even though it might get a bit boring, it's varied work if you're lucky.

I was under the impression that I was a maintenance worker for a business that operates three seperate car washes, and I travel between them and just basically keep them in shape, mostly cleaning and monitoring chemical levels and equipment, etc, and also being around to offer help to anyone who may need it. I am now told my role should consist more of customer service and PR work, getting in the customers faces and offering to do everything for them, etc, and I am not good at that. In reality, it isn't so much that I am not good at it, it is that I don't want to do it. People don't want to go to a self service car wash, and have someone in their face, majority of the customers are young to middle aged men that want to wash their car on their own terms, and that is fair enough. My boss doesn't get that, and thinks the world is full of people like his wife, who want a nice person to offer a hand (it was apparently her that convinced him this would be a good move). So, he is changing the hours of the job to have someone there all the time, every day (I currently do split shifts), and the focus of the job will be shifted from maintenance to customer service (even though it is a self serve site). As well as this, he is always on my case about things that need to be done (or more likely, could be done), which will get less attention while I would be off annoying customers.

Anyway, I think he is a dick without much of a clue, so it is easy to rant about. A job has come up at head office at Bendigo Bank which I am interested in that I shall apply for, hopefully I get something out of that in coming months and can stick this job before he is ready for me to leave. Fuckwit.

That sounds like a real shit. What a knob. What a pair of knobs. Just think though, if a pair like that can run a business, so can you. I dunno if you'd ever want to run your own though....? Good luck with the Bendigo Bank job.

Well, I had a job interview today. With a pretty major company.

Mclarens Young ( http://www.mclarensyoung.com/ )

Basically an audio typist (using a dictaphone with a cool pedal... it's pretty major. Right pedal plays and left pedal rewinds.) with a few secretary duties. They were much more interested in my typing though, seeing 90wpm on my resume. Gave me a typing test, were very happy, and I'm going in for a trial on Friday and then probably Monday and see what happens from there.

It's looking up (Y)