I had a freaky experience last night...

machine

Bare-faced cheek
Jul 4, 2003
NEW ZELAND
www.heroichomosex.com
It's not often things unsettle me to the point that I start to question how the universe works, but anyway, let me tell you about what happened last night...

Background: I work casual security work at the Institute of Technology, where I am also studying for a degree in Journalism. At the Insitute there is an ancient part of the complex which is about 80 years old and kinda spooky.

Anyways, I was walking around campus at about midnight last night. I was the only one in the place at that time. The next thing I heard a sound which could only be described as a young child playing with a puppy. There was yelps of laughter and puppy barking noises coming from a dark space in campus.

I headed towards the sound but there was no-one there. Funny, I thought, maybe someones playing silly buggers with me. Next thing I heard the same sound coming from another direction of campus. Right, I thought, I'll get you this time, no one makes a fool out of the machine.

I ran over to the spot and once again nothing... So I'm sitting there scratching my head and then it starts up again in another area. So once again I head over there and nothing again. This happens another half a dozen times with the same result.

But the one thing I did notice was that the sound was identical each time I heard it.... child laughing, dog barking, child laughing, dog barking.

When my reliever came on duty a 2am I explained this to him and he said that it happens to him every now and again as well. He did some research and apparently a young boy was murdered about 100 years ago on the same area of land before it was the Institute. As well as the young child, his puppy was slain as well with him side by side.

I'm working the same shift tonight so I'll keep an ear out and get back to you.

My offsider also said that he doesn't like going into a particular area of campus (one of the oldest buildings) at night because it gets unusually cold and doors slam shut for no reason sometimes.

I'm going there as well tonight to suss it out.

Any of you people had similar experiences? This is the first time it happened to me so I am really curious about it.

I chalk most such things to natural causes hoaxes, but I do believe in the concept of the soul (mind,body,will) and spirit (the personality, the individual, actual core of a person) as well as some aspects of metaphysics, so I believe some things are possible, but I am pretty much a total skeptic. I do however subscribe to young earth theory, creationism, and deluge theories.

well, i believe either you're inventing it, or someone's making a fool of you. i'll never believe something like that can exist or be proven, but everyone's free to believe in whatever they want.

on a side note, how come the ghost of a kid who's been murdered should spend the rest of time playing there? and more, why should ghosts slam doors? :confused:

mourningstar said:
well, i believe either you're inventing it, or someone's making a fool of you. i'll never believe something like that can exist or be proven, but everyone's free to believe in whatever they want.

on a side note, how come the ghost of a kid who's been murdered should spend the rest of time playing there? and more, why should ghosts slam doors? :confused:
My thoughts exactly..

I think there are things that the eye can not see or can be proven to exist. However, most so called paranormal phenomena must be just imagination or misunderstood, mis-seen things. Human mind is very complex too, we would sometimes like to see or hear things that aren't there.

I've always heard of things like these.. on TV, from friends, family etc.. but I have never had an experience with 'ghosts' or anything like that. For the most part I still don't know what to make of everything, but I definitely have heard and seen stories that don't let me simply have my often stubborn skeptical mind. While I know for a fact that many many of such phenomena are, like Lolita stated, imagination, misunderstandings and hoaxes; I wouldn't rule out the possibility that truly unknown and interesting things happen in some instances.

I, myself, have had a single very odd experience in my life. 2 years ago something happened and I have given it a lot of thought and I've gone over it in my head countless times trying find a rational way to explain it or find a reason for my mind to have been tricked.. I'm not a stupid or simple-minded person, but I'm pretty convinced that my perception was not altered and that nothing else could've happened to fool me. I can't explain what occurred without demonstrating, but this was a laws-of-physics-blatantly-defying event, and something that was downright impossible to do by myself or anyone, especially in the amount of time it took to happen, which was but an instant.

I believe you, machine. I believe that spiritual energy is everywhere and constantly alive, it never dies, it always cycles. I had an encounter with a spirit who called herself Beth. I made my own talking board (a.k.a. ouija board) and I had been communicating with her in the bathroom... dunno why I chose that spot... maybe she just liked it there. I stopped after a while, put everything away, and my parents came home. My dad goes into the bathroom and says "Someone left the water running, do we have a ghost in here or something?" and I just smiled and said nothing.

Hmm...well, see, there are alot of odd things about say, the human brain. So much of it is not used, and there are parts of it that are dormant that when stimulated create what appears to be supernatural phenomena to the testee...I dunno, there are theories about it. What is interesting to me are those theories that draw a correlation between how the earth and its position, its atmosphere and things affect brain function, and how we know that over time the earth has shifted and so much has happened to the environment through what some call ice 'ages' others epochs etc...to me I see it relating to the Biblical (as well as universal, culturally speaking) flood and cataclysm. Its interesting to me to consider how different things might have been in the antediluvian world, according not only to brief biblical passages, but to the greeks and sumerians and other ancient cultures, who all shared a common belief in a time before a flood that wiped all but a select few men, when godlike figures (biblically speaking, rebel angels) co-habited with men and when what we would call supernatural was commonplace - it could just be that (for good reason) the flood served its double purpose of removing the gift of perception from the human brain through its cause of global shift, volcanism, atmospheric changes and what not, but every so often it sparks up, or can possibly be revived...so to me there are possibilities - possibly it could just be a matter of the brain fooling itself, possibly it could be demonic/metaphysical phenomena, possibly a load of hooey. :D

I believe in spiritual energy, but not in the way most people would describe it, because I don't believe in heaven or hell, only that the (proven) energy that leaves the body shortly after death goes back into the universe as pure energy. Energy never dies or wanes, it's just transforms from manifestation to another.

Energy can be harnessed and transformed (photosynthisis), trapped magnetically (fusion reactions in magnetic fields), held captive (batteries, capacitors, ect...

I believe that some energies can be held going back into a source, much like you can hold a glass of water, but once that water is poured back into a lake, it is no different than the rest of the body, and indistiguishable...

Of course, my beliefs would take hours to put down on this page, and I've just boiled it down to the few things that are relavant to the discussion at hand.

Do I believe there is a possibility of all this, sure, but I am not a true believe, I am skeptical of everything, but scientifically, our thoughts are not flesh, but electrical impules, and the death of the physical body does not include the vanishing of our energies. Something happens, that much is for certain.

Wandrail said:
Hmm...well, see, there are alot of odd things about say, the human brain. So much of it is not used, and there are parts of it that are dormant that when stimulated create what appears to be supernatural phenomena to the testee...I dunno, there are theories about it. What is interesting to me are those theories that draw a correlation between how the earth and its position, its atmosphere and things affect brain function, and how we know that over time the earth has shifted and so much has happened to the environment through what some call ice 'ages' others epochs etc...to me I see it relating to the Biblical (as well as universal, culturally speaking) flood and cataclysm. Its interesting to me to consider how different things might have been in the antediluvian world, according not only to brief biblical passages, but to the greeks and sumerians and other ancient cultures, who all shared a common belief in a time before a flood that wiped all but a select few men, when godlike figures (biblically speaking, rebel angels) co-habited with men and when what we would call supernatural was commonplace - it could just be that (for good reason) the flood served its double purpose of removing the gift of perception from the human brain through its cause of global shift, volcanism, atmospheric changes and what not, but every so often it sparks up, or can possibly be revived...so to me there are possibilities - possibly it could just be a matter of the brain fooling itself, possibly it could be demonic/metaphysical phenomena, possibly a load of hooey. :D
after reading twice what you wrote - adding some punctuation :p - it isn't clear to me why you should consider the possibility of the existance of something not scientifically proven. i mean, the flood might have removed some blue men from our planet, but i'm not going to admit the possibility of their existance.
and i've heard about some pseudo scientific theories about how your position in relation with some imaginary lines drawn on the surface of the earth can influence your mind in a good or bad way, but all that has be proven wrong. and all the rest is not scientific enough.

in case i mis-interpreted your thought, or there is something i don't know (likely), i beg your pardon.

mourningstar said:

I'm not inventing it, but as to someone making a fool of me...well, I can't discount that, but the way it happened last night, it must have been either an incredibly elaborate hoax perpetrated by vocal genuises, or something a bit more spooky.

I don't know.

As for why ghosts slam doors, it's like asking me why I look at the toilet paper after wiping my arse, it's an unknown.

UPDATE: The boy and puppy didn't make another appearance, and it's raining at the moment so I don't know, do spirits like bad weather?
I'll tell you what though... walking down that old part of the building gives me the shits now. A lot of noises... creaks, groans etc. It's probably a mixture of old building noises and my mind I know, but sheesh, it's spooky.

MagSec4 said:
I, myself, have had a single very odd experience in my life. 2 years ago something happened and I have given it a lot of thought and I've gone over it in my head countless times trying find a rational way to explain it or find a reason for my mind to have been tricked.. I'm not a stupid or simple-minded person, but I'm pretty convinced that my perception was not altered and that nothing else could've happened to fool me. I can't explain what occurred without demonstrating, but this was a laws-of-physics-blatantly-defying event, and something that was downright impossible to do by myself or anyone, especially in the amount of time it took to happen, which was but an instant.

Well..... come on, spill it.

I heard the patter of little childrens feet running on the laminate floor around my bed at night, the problem is the bed is against the wall, basically I sh!t myself!!! I then found out that someone hanged themself in my hallway a few years earlier...I dont know whether the two could be connected though...

machine said:
As for why ghosts slam doors, it's like asking me why I look at the toilet paper after wiping my arse, it's an unknown.
no, it's not like that. ghosts slamming doors is just nonsense, it's like if you wiped your armpit with toilet paper after having used the toilet to take a two. :p