I hate mp3 players

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
I want to get an mp3 player that holds at least 100GB or so, but it seems like all the ones that come with that much space require some proprietary software bullshit. I want one that just looks like an external hard drive to my computer. I used to have an Archos Jukebox that was like this, but I got it back in '99 and it's 6GB and skips :( Does something like this exist?

Just pick up an iPod and use Winamp to put songs on it. There are two major benefits at hand ever since Winamp started writing in iPod functionality:

1) No iTunes required
2) You can pull songs off of it onto your hard drive

I'll never reach the 80GB capacity on my iPod, but if for some reason I ever do, I know I won't be listening to all 80GB in one sitting. I can pull Charles Mingus off and put Wu Tang on.

Not that I'd ever pull Mingus off of the iPod.

Or Wu Tang.

I've currently got a 4Gb Sandisk player with a 2Gb MicroSD card. I don't really miss carrying 40Gb of music at all. All that storage is just more stuff I don't listen too most of the time.

Having said that, I really miss my old Rio Karma player. Only 20Gb, no pictures, videos or anything like that. Monochrome display, proprietary storage database. But it had the best user interface I've ever used on any player and the most intuitive playlisting features. Damn thing fell apart on me though. By the end it had no scrollwheel and the on-off button was one of these:

30-2289.jpg

Hrm... I didn't hear about the changes on the iPod. I had my heart set on a 160gb ipod, and then someone told me that you couldn't put the files on it back onto your computer (I wanted to have a backup because my WD hard drive failed with all my music on it last year and I'm afraid that's going to happen again) but I guess that will work now. That and I didn't want to use iTunes since I like winamp, so... guess I'll go buy an ipod now. Thanks for the info!

ipod + winamp + ml_ipod = joy :kickass:

Seriously, ml_ipod (plugin for winamp) has allowed me to avoid iTunes all together with the exception of firmware updates. You can put and pull any songs from it - and even connect to ipods at once and do direct transfers from ipod to another.

It's also go some basic tools like probing for lost songs, which will some how recover things if the database file gets corrupt. All and all - and stellar plugin.

Hmmm, as much as I love iTunes, are there any comparable programs for OSX that will allow you to manage the library like Winamp? I have an iPod that has never been connected to my G5 and I want to put everything on the iPod on my G5. I've tried those programs that rip the songs off of the iPod, but they fuck up a bunch of the files (PC and Mac) so it's almost like a waste of time having to go through all of them and see which ones are fucked.

~006

I've taken to using foobar2k lately, ASIO support for FLAC is the main reason. Can still look after my library and customise - I was on iTunes previously and don't miss many of its features now I've got my foobar configured correctly. Highly customisable, I expect that it has an iPod plugin available.

Never used iTunes with my iPod. I just got XPlay, just install it and you can treat your iPod just like a regular pendrive.