MP3 Players

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
OK so never in my life have I ever wanted or needed one of these things. It's not that I think they're lame or anything, I've just never had a practical use for them. On the very, very rare occasions that I actually do listen to music on the go (when I'm not driving), my discman, a couple cds, and big stereo headphones have been just fine.

However, on some recent hiking and camping trips I have come to really appreciate the little setup one of my friends has. He's got some mp3 player and a small little speaker case with two lil speakers in it. The mp3 player docks right into the speakers and it has a small clip on it that's perfect for attaching it to backpacks or hanging it from a nearby tree. This makes hiking and chillin' around the campsite infinitely more awesome (I've only recently come around to enjoying music while in the woods). This concoction alone has sold me on getting one.

So, my question really is the typical "what's the best mp3 player value out there, and what do you recommend?" I've never done any research into this subject so I don't even know where to begin. Obviously I want something that's compatible with a small speaker setup like I described, however I don't think it'll be a problem finding that.

What do you say?!

Conform and just get an Ipod, they can hold so much shit and are pretty cheap now. I have an Iphone so I don't have use for an Ipod really but back in the day when I had an Ipod it was awesome and held most all of my music. Stylin, pretty reliable and durable unless you throw it or drop it onto concrete and and pretty plain and simple to use with no bells and whistles.

I've heard horror stories of iPods not working properly with Windows. Also is it true they only sync up with iTunes? I FUCKING LOATHE iTunes and it IS a deal breaker if iPods don't work with any other software.

haha yeah it only works with Itunes I think and that can be bothersome if you hate Itunes and never use it (I only use it to fill up my ipod). Guess it's not for you then

I know nothing about any lil speakers, but I really like my Sony thingamajig. Small, simple, and sounds good hooked up to my big ol' stereo, too. Just shove it directly into a USB port to charge it.

And as far as putting music on it, you don't need any special software or iTunes or any of that crap.
sony-1.jpg

I know nothing about any lil speakers, but I really like my Sony thingamajig. Small, simple, and sounds good hooked up to my big ol' stereo, too. Just shove it directly into a USB port to charge it.

And as far as putting music on it, you don't need any special software or iTunes or any of that crap.
sony-1.jpg
This is what I'm talkin about! I see no reason why you couldn't plug in a little speaker kit into it in place of your headphones.

Plus, I've always really liked Sony products. They've always lasted forever functioned nicely. Do you know what model you have?

i have an Ipod Nano, it's reliable, i listen to it a number of hours everyday, and i only recharge once a week. and it's very light and comfortable to walk around.

and most importantly, the interface, i have about 1000 songs on it, and it's a life safer to browse using the scroll thing and folders.
If you have 1000 musics using one of those:
sony-1.jpg

good luck searching a song using only "next/previous"

I have horror stories with my old 80 gig ipod and windows, shit was a nightmare.

But I recently got the 8gig ipod touch, which is just like the iphone but with no phone, and it's fantastic, no problems at all.

If you don't care about all the apps, wifi and nice presentation though, and you just want something small and reliable, this is the best one I've ever owned.

sandisk-sansa-clip-8gb-version.jpg

the Sansa clip 8gb as well. works like a USB, very simple, very easy, excellent sound, never fucks up, and it probably goes for a bout 60 bucks.

If you have a lot of music, I say go for the IPod classic - I don't think that there are other players out there with that much size for that good a price. I've got the 160 gb, and have had just about no problems. I have heard though that the battery stops recharging after a year, and then you have to return the player to the company to get it fixed, for about 50 dollars, I think. But I've had mine for almost 2 years, and have had zero problems with battery life, which is quite long (10-12 hours of playing straight).

I've heard horror stories of iPods not working properly with Windows. Also is it true they only sync up with iTunes? I FUCKING LOATHE iTunes and it IS a deal breaker if iPods don't work with any other software.

There are some patchs/programs that let you synch up to the IPOD, but I prefer Itunes - though just to sync up. I just drag the songs and am done with it.

So, while I hate Itunes, and a lot of the add-on crap that Apple offers for the IPod is usually expensive (though I have no use for any of them, except for a hard case the player), I recommend the IPod, mainly for the storage space and the reasonable price.

Before the IPpod, I had an IRiver 30 gb, and that got messed up pretty quickly (through no fault of my own), but they may have gotten better since then. As a player, it was pretty good, even if it was delicate.