I have a question about the TriAxis

I guess should clarify in the fact that I don't want "similar" settings....I want the same settings...knowing that different mics/mixers/preamps/daw/whatever will affect the sound in the end, but wanting the same raw form in front.

Executioner213 said:
I guess should clarify in the fact that I don't want "similar" settings....I want the same settings...knowing that different mics/mixers/preamps/daw/whatever will affect the sound in the end, but wanting the same raw form in front.

If you have the recto-mod you should be in the right ballpark. But it will never sound exactly like a rectifier. The triaxis recto-sound is alot tighter than the rectifier. Proves to be more fitting for tremolo style deathmetal.

Andy posted the settings for DHIADW some year ago I think. I have it on my computer somewhere...

Goddamn Guitar said:
If you have the recto-mod you should be in the right ballpark. But it will never sound exactly like a rectifier. The triaxis recto-sound is alot tighter than the rectifier. Proves to be more fitting for tremolo style deathmetal.

I like tighter sound anyways. Recto-mod? Is that a setting or an actual mod?

The recto-mod, is version 2.0 software. At one point I owned a TriAxis and 2:90 as well as a Triple Rec. They never could sound identical. I couldn't quite find what I wanted out of either so I got rid of both and got a Road King.

I guess I have that then, my TriAxis is only 2 years old.

Here's another question....I've been getting a lot of noise out of my setup....I have:

Mesa TriAxis->TC Electronic G-Major->Mesa SimulClass 2:90->Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab (2)

I was actually paying attention to the manual for once when I saw that it says it needs shielded cables between the preamp and the power amp. First off, do I need em for the preamp/effect/power setup, and second off...why shielded? Is it really powered signal coming out of my preamp?

Executioner213 said:
I guess I have that then, my TriAxis is only 2 years old.

Here's another question....I've been getting a lot of noise out of my setup....I have:

Mesa TriAxis->TC Electronic G-Major->Mesa SimulClass 2:90->Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab (2)

I was actually paying attention to the manual for once when I saw that it says it needs shielded cables between the preamp and the power amp. First off, do I need em for the preamp/effect/power setup, and second off...why shielded? Is it really powered signal coming out of my preamp?

If your triaxis is 2 years old, it has the Phat Mod, not rectomod.

Are you playing in a Nevermore cover band or something? Why not just find your own sound - the Triaxis is a great unit.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nevermore and I've spent time A/B'ing my tone with that record before for reference, but ultimately you're not going to get EXACTLY the same tone unless you use the same amp, cab, mic setup, and preamp that Andy used on that record. Even then, it's probably not going to sound exactly the same, even with the same settings. Such is the nature of tube amps and miked cabs.

Kazrog said:
Are you playing in a Nevermore cover band or something?

No, but what does that matter?

Kazrog said:
Why not just find your own sound - the Triaxis is a great unit.

It is a great unit, but when you actually come up with your "own" sound that you aren't afraid post on here that people would like to attain the same tonal qualities of....lemme know. The point being that I'm sure your guitar tone sounds like someones, and just because you don't know it or don't admit it, doesn't mean it's true. Just because I know what flavor I want doesn't mean I need to be in a cover band.

Kazrog said:
Don't get me wrong, I love Nevermore and I've spent time A/B'ing my tone with that record before for reference

Been there, done that.

Kazrog said:
ultimately you're not going to get EXACTLY the same tone unless you use the same amp, cab, mic setup, and preamp that Andy used on that record.

No, but I can come close. Tell me something new.

Kazrog said:
Even then, it's probably not going to sound exactly the same, even with the same settings.

I'm not 12, I realize that. Such things only need to be said so many times, and you probably for once found someone who doesn't care. I want to know if I can attain the same or similar tonal qualities as some of these bands...Nevermore being towards the top of the list. I know it won't sound "the same". Thats not the point. The point is to sound close. Thats what I want, and if people don't like it, too bad.

Kazrog said:
Such is the nature of tube amps and miked cabs.

And any amp/mic/room setting you can dream up. It will never be the same, and usually isn't even if the same setup is brought back to the same place.

I'm sure people are only trying to help.

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that you probably know the answer to your own question better than any of us. I don't want to sound like a smartass or anything, but you are the one with the triaxis rig. I think you could tell us if it's possible to get a sound like the nevermore sound with your gear. Perhaps even throw in a little sample. That way people could come up with improvements like "add a little presence, cut the lows" and you should be able to get that killer sound.

I like your taste of guitar tone btw :headbang: and I hope you find the tone you're looking for.

Executioner213 said:
No, but I can come close. Tell me something new.

Are you by any chance related to jp22?

Come in here and post a general question (that you apparently know the answer to) and you're going to get a general answer. I don't know what you're acting so pissed off about, since you apparently agree with all my points.

being a big petrucci fan, and having played the triaxis/2:90 rig a lot I don't think it will get you that close. To my way of thinking I think of the triaxis and jmp-1 type setups as more compressed, user friendly (for live app) and tighter.

a triple recto is very organic and big sounding (and definately on the loose side of things) the triaxis is very tight on some of the presets and not really that similar.

Having said that I'd rather own your rig than a dual or triple recto, but I'm into mesh and old school thrash tones, and not looking to cop a nevermore tone.

emg 707's, mesa recto, 57, quad tracked. It's not like we don't know all the exact settings used on that album (thanks andy :wave: )

I'm not into the nevermore tone as much as other prjects by andy but with his info I think I got into the 'dhiadw' ballpark quite easily-

http://media2.audiostreet.net/7D3A6...3587/Download/triple_recto_nevermore_test.mp3

peace