I made a new guitar EQ video

Pretty much my workflow for eqing guitars as well. Nice short video that gets the point across.

Just so you know that eq has an undo button (the back arrow) in case you make a wrong move and screw everything up, just hit undo!

Do it that way too, that's a pretty standard way to do it but it's really efficient as y decompose the whole eqing in problem zones which you treat one at a time.

get rid of it? Things like that annoy me so much
Why? It doesn't sound to me like there's an annoying bump in there. The small bump is a good 6 dB lower than the peaks of the rest of the upper mids. Are you hearing a problem there or just arbitrarily looking for things in the spectrum analyzer? Why does it annoy you so much?

it´s a youtube video, and it still fizzes quite a bit up there. The peak is higher than those treble peaks on my speakers, and I still have to reduce them specifically, in addition to the high-cut.
The analyzer is super helpful to find the exact frequencies quickly, but it´s clearly audible.

(yes, I do like bright guitar tones with lots of clean content in the "top end", especially on the clean channel. That´s why I´m running Eminence Red Fang. But it mustn´t sound like crickets in the background)

http://i68.tinypic.com/2empu10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice video. I find it extremely useful for noobs like me. However, this works as long as your recorded guitars sound good from the beginning. I am well aware this was not the point of your video. I'm just pointing the obvious I guess! XD

It's just that I realized recently that I can't dial an amp! XD Positionning an SM57, on the edge of the dust cap, 1 inch from the grill, always gives me tones that are way too dark for mixing. But when sitting in the room I find my tone to be already quite bright. I think it is actually my ears still not used to "What is a good tone usable for recordings". I guess you guys went through that phase as well right? I hope I'm not alone in my situation! haha

You'd see my EQ curves versus the ones in your video... it is not that nice and clean looking!!!

Nice video. I find it extremely useful for noobs like me. However, this works as long as your recorded guitars sound good from the beginning. I am well aware this was not the point of your video. I'm just pointing the obvious I guess! XD

It's just that I realized recently that I can't dial an amp! XD Positionning an SM57, on the edge of the dust cap, 1 inch from the grill, always gives me tones that are way too dark for mixing. But when sitting in the room I find my tone to be already quite bright. I think it is actually my ears still not used to "What is a good tone usable for recordings". I guess you guys went through that phase as well right? I hope I'm not alone in my situation! haha

You'd see my EQ curves versus the ones in your video... it is not that nice and clean looking!!!
I know that feeling. I think I have a great tone in the room, then mic it up and usually always missing high-end above say 7-8k or so.

I know that feeling. I think I have a great tone in the room, then mic it up and usually always missing high-end above say 7-8k or so.
If your missing content above 7-8kHz, you've got a serious problem and I don't think it's your micing technique. If you're slapping a SM57 at the dust cap edge right against the grille of a V30, you're gonna get content above 7-8kHz. I'd check for problems elsewhere in your recording chain.

If your missing content above 7-8kHz, you've got a serious problem and I don't think it's your micing technique. If you're slapping a SM57 at the dust cap edge right against the grille of a V30, you're gonna get content above 7-8kHz. I'd check for problems elsewhere in your recording chain.

Speaking for myself, I think to not put enough presence on my amps for recording, which is, I guess, why I lack content in that range (3 to 7 kHz). As I said, standing straight in front of V30s with high presence is feeling very bright for my taste, however when mic'ed we can hear the lack of presence. And also, looking at videos of people recording the same amp as mine, they always have much more presence than I do, and it sounds very well.

So it's really just me getting used to what is a good tone for recording. Not a serious problem ;)

I think to not put enough presence on my amps for recording, which is, I guess, why I lack content in that range (3 to 7 kHz).
You must have the presence and treble knobs set really low, then. How are you're strings? Are you recording with a fresh set? Old string = lack of presence and treble.

You must have the presence and treble knobs set really low, then. How are you're strings? Are you recording with a fresh set? Old string = lack of presence and treble.

Yes... that is another issue :( To be completely honest, the clarity problem is more on my "bandmate" side of things. He changes his strings probably twice a year, and he likes a lot of bottom in his sound.

To his defense, I admit, as I said, that I am not used either to that much treble and presence. We don't have a very good room when it comes to reverbaration and a lot of presence gets really annoying.

But, on the other hand, yup, all that you said is prefectly in line with what we probably do wrong!

(we also use a loadbox on his amp, to be able to crank the tubes. I suspect that it sucks some highs)

Yes... that is another issue :( To be completely honest, the clarity problem is more on my "bandmate" side of things. He changes his strings probably twice a year, and he likes a lot of bottom in his sound.

To his defense, I admit, as I said, that I am not used either to that much treble and presence. We don't have a very good room when it comes to reverbaration and a lot of presence gets really annoying.

But, on the other hand, yup, all that you said is prefectly in line with what we probably do wrong!

I'm curious... In your video are you using 4 tracks or 2 tracks?