YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
Hey guys! Thought you might be interested in this video. I've been getting so many questions about match EQ that I thought I'd make this video so you can see EXACTLY how it's done.

Basically... you can get any dirty guitar tone you want (and can find on a separated track) with this technique that I show in the video. Check it out!

Subscribe and spread the word all you want!

Last edited by a moderator:
EPIC.

Thanks a lot!!:worship:
Do we really need to "play the part"? i mean wouldn't it work just copying the tone eq and applying it to the sine wave?

Also...
Is there a possibility that you share you already "copied" impulses?

Thanks mate. I've been meaning to try this. Can you tell us more about the patch without the cab modeling (3:25) do you start with something close to what you want it to sound like in the end or something more generic?

Nice info.

Nice tutorial!! Have you tried Voxengo CurveEq or TC Assimilator...??What match Eq have you tried and felt they´re just suck??
I think CurveEQ fails because of lower resolution - only 60 matching points, resolution must be greater to proper capture tone.

cool, i was doing the eq matching like you all the time, but didnt know how to create an IR out of this. Its really a pity that you dont belong to the axe-fx community anymore, you always gave us pretty good input there ;).

Hey thanks guys!

EPIC.

Do we really need to "play the part"? i mean wouldn't it work just copying the tone eq and applying it to the sine wave?

Also...

They won't work 100% correctly unless you have Overloud TH2 with the same amp settings that I have. :) But sure I can give a few IR's and I guess they should work after some tweaking. Anyways I suggest you learn this method since it's useful in mixing. I've already match EQ'd Chris Lord-Alge's mix snares and kicks and with Ozone's smoothing you don't have to use samples for drums. Just the match EQ and a transient designer and your mix will easily sound like a professional mix. :)

Here you have three (3) tastes: http://www.mediafire.com/?cwqjpyecepbjc4f (Petrucci Constant Motion, Paramore and Avenged Sevenfold) Check 'em out!

EPIC.

Also...

Here comes a geeky math explanation. What we're doing here is:

(AMP1+CAB+MIC) is the perfect tone Petrucci has

(AMP2) is the crappy tone I have so I need a good cab/mic IR

(AMP1+CAB+MIC) - (AMP2) = (CAB+MIC) and this will be the IR

But you can't calculate this way unless AMP1 = AMP2 so you have to play the riff just like the original.:guh:

Does this make any sense to you?:lol:

Thanks mate. I've been meaning to try this. Can you tell us more about the patch without the cab modeling (3:25) do you start with something close to what you want it to sound like in the end or something more generic?

The patch doesn't have anything else but an AMP block which is just the same Recto with the same settings that most of my match EQ'd tones have. A Recto with everything close to 12 o'clock should do the trick but the settings can be whatever. I just feel safer when my settings are flat. :)

Pay attention that I've already match EQ'd a Recto to sound like a Mark IV, Bogner, Orange, Diezel... the list goes on and on. :)

+1, especially the Petrucci IR - that sounded killer.

there's a guy over on GuitarAmpModeling that's doing something similar: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8461

The Petrucci Constant Motion IR is above but like I said it won't work unless you have a TH2 with my settings. You can see them in my video though. Also those IR's only work with 48khz and 32bit which is how I run things.

I know VampIR's or whatever... and I've tried those but... I think he didn't do a good job on those... I mean they probably work well for him but he didn't tell what amp modeler/settings he used with the IR's so they won't work on other modelers. Anyways he is the guy to thank... his IR's got me into match EQing two years ago. :)

Nice tutorial!! Have you tried Voxengo CurveEq or TC Assimilator...??What match Eq have you tried and felt they´re just suck??

I haven't tried the Assimilator but all the other match EQ plugins I've tried aren't nearly as accurate nor efficient as the Ozone. I mean... Ozone is as accurate as it can get. It's perfect. The plugin itself takes some time to learn but I've had my learning curve already so I'm okay. :)

BTW CurveEQ is one of the sucky ones. :(

cool, i was doing the eq matching like you all the time, but didnt know how to create an IR out of this. Its really a pity that you dont belong to the axe-fx community anymore, you always gave us pretty good input there ;).

OFF-TOPIC ALERT:
Haha... there are a few reasons why I'm not active there anymore. One reason is that I don't own an Axe-Fx. Another reason is that Cliff (the founder of Fractal Audio and creator of Axe-Fx) is not a nice guy. I like the Axe-Fx and I like the Axe-II too but I won't pay anything to that man. His business is based hype and what happened was that I was talking about other modelers too much and comparing them to his product and it made the Axe-Fx look bad on the interwebz. Then he literally told me: "I'm getting tired of your sh*t you little pr*ck" and threatening to ban me although I wasn't breaking any forum rules. I don't like drama so I choose not to have anything to do with him. I like the guys on the forum though. It's a good community.

lol wat? :lol: post a demo

:loco: Haha... I made a quick clip and took it to extremes. Okay... EVERYTHING IS MATCH EQ'd in this clip. :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kj1b81e564h6gk2

Guitar tracks are from Lamb of God
Kick is from Paramore
Snare is from Periphery's self titled album
Bass is also from Paramore

Drums are SD2 though... overheads are not match EQ'd.

But seriously you have unlimited options here. I can make a record with all exact tones from Paramore if I want to. I have the guitar tone, bass tone, kick and snare. Now I just need Haley. :headbang:

Here comes a geeky math explanation. What we're doing here is:

(AMP1+CAB+MIC) is the perfect tone Petrucci has

(AMP2) is the crappy tone I have so I need a good cab/mic IR

(AMP1+CAB+MIC) - (AMP2) = (CAB+MIC) and this will be the IR

But you can't calculate this way unless AMP1 = AMP2 so you have to play the riff just like the original.:guh:

Does this make any sense to you?:lol:

And what if i record an "all possible sounds" DI to do it?
like 2 measures each of chugga chugga, fast picking, open chords,...etc to have a wide variety of sounds?

yes, im lazy XD but having to change tunings and learn riffs of every song with a sound i want to copy is a lot of work (especially if i have to change strings because of the tuning).

now...imagine that i want to use this with a band that im recording...
im not gonna tell them "hey...record this paramore,kse,petrucci,metallica...riff so i can make an IR later XDDDDD"

I cant do this experiment because my guitar is in the rehearsal room and i really need to buy new strings before recording anything...

So if anyone is willing to do it
i would be really grateful :3

Cheers,
Mark

:loco: Haha... I made a quick clip and took it to extremes. Okay... EVERYTHING IS MATCH EQ'd in this clip. :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kj1b81e564h6gk2

Guitar tracks are from Lamb of God
Kick is from Paramore
Snare is from Periphery's self titled album
Bass is also from Paramore

Drums are SD2 though... overheads are not match EQ'd.

But seriously you have unlimited options here. I can make a record with all exact tones from Paramore if I want to. I have the guitar tone, bass tone, kick and snare. Now I just need Haley. :headbang:

That really does sound good. Damn...it's more trouble...but I just might have to ditch Curve EQ for this method. Thanks for the idea. :kickass:

And what if i record an "all possible sounds" DI to do it?
like 2 measures each of chugga chugga, fast picking, open chords,...etc to have a wide variety of sounds?

yes, im lazy XD but having to change tunings and learn riffs of every song with a sound i want to copy is a lot of work (especially if i have to change strings because of the tuning).

now...imagine that i want to use this with a band that im recording...
im not gonna tell them "hey...record this paramore,kse,petrucci,metallica...riff so i can make an IR later XDDDDD"

I cant do this experiment because my guitar is in the rehearsal room and i really need to buy new strings before recording anything...

So if anyone is willing to do it
i would be really grateful :3

Cheers,
Mark

Well I have a good idea. This should work also. First match EQ the guitar tone that you are using on your record. Then when you have the tone from your record match EQ'd you can easily match EQ it to sound like some other record.:guh:

So... Use whatever software amp modeler you want. LePou is good enough and free. F.ex. use LePou Lecto and LeCab for this. First play one of the riffs from your session and match EQ it so that you have that tone in your DAW. Now match EQ your LePou Lecto (that already has the LeCab with your session tone) to sound like another tone. Then just add the IR that comes out of this into the session you are recording.

Dunno if you can understand what I'm trying to say here but... Still... it can be done.