YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Do you sell these?

:tickled: Ofcourse not. I just got them because Zorran used them and he got an amazing tone with the Mesa V31 cab: http://soundcloud.com/zorran/zorran-fate-or-life (you'd think my scandinavian accent was a giveaway that I'm not from the US :devil:)

Those are my favorite IR's for just about anything. I do own all the Redwirez cabs also and somehow I always choose OwnHammer in the end. They just end up sounding more like real cranked cabs to me.

Well yes you can match eq one mic placement to sound like another mic placement. :) Basically... you can record a session with one mic placement and then change the placement later on with match eq.

Then you'll just have to learn to live with the fact that there's something VERY digital in your signal chain. :D Not saying that it will sound digital... it won't but the knowledge that it's there might make some people feel uncomfortable.

It would indeed be very digital, but it would be up to the mixer. I just wanted to know if it's possible, as this proves match eq is really capable of almost anything, with only creativity in the way how you want to do it as a limiting factor.

Personally, I think replacing mic positions would be cool to test some situations ITB for a demo etc., and who would know it, besides the group and the mixer? I always found any digital solutions/hacks/whatever to be totally fine, as long as they don't make it sound digital, unless that's exactly the sound you want.

This is something cool honestly. Thanks man but i have a question... U said that u like to match eq on drums too but how exactly does that work? Do u apply that same eq to the drums?? Say ur mathing a snare do u run the ir(like voxengo) on the snare insert? Or just apply the eq?

I understand what you were saying when you start with say Lecto with stock settings, all the EQ at 12 o'clock .etc and then match EQ from there but if your doing it on a snare, how do you choose a sample? Do you just choose a sample you think would sound close to say the Paramore snare with the EQ and go from there? Seems like you would spend a LOT of time comparing samples but I guess that sounds like something you would do after reading all this, haha

This is something cool honestly. Thanks man but i have a question... U said that u like to match eq on drums too but how exactly does that work? Do u apply that same eq to the drums?? Say ur mathing a snare do u run the ir(like voxengo) on the snare insert? Or just apply the eq?

It depends... right now I have Ozone on in my session but it would be a lot better if I had an IR. You can use REVerence in Cubase to load IRs also.

I understand what you were saying when you start with say Lecto with stock settings, all the EQ at 12 o'clock .etc and then match EQ from there but if your doing it on a snare, how do you choose a sample? Do you just choose a sample you think would sound close to say the Paramore snare with the EQ and go from there? Seems like you would spend a LOT of time comparing samples but I guess that sounds like something you would do after reading all this, haha

It depends... I'd say match EQing drums is VERY advanced stuff and you rarely get any benefit of doing it. If your drum tracks don't have any ghost notes then TRIGGER them. I mean... there's so much that can go wrong in match EQing drums. I would only match EQ drums if I didn't have proper samples of the tone I was after. Like the Periphery snare f.ex. all I have is the intro to Zyglrox and the snare doesn't have enough tail so I can't make a sample out of it.

The problem is that drums have pitch too. So f.ex. if you are match EQing a snare to sound like Periphery snare they need to be in the same pitch. I'm using Superior Drummer 2s Avatar kit and Nir-Z snare and pitch shift it 3.00 so it's the same pitch and a similar snare. If you have live drums you can't change the pitch of a snare in the DAW because it will sound weird with the original snare pitch bleeding in from other mics.

So I would only match EQ drums if my drums were done with Superior Drummer because you can change the pitch easily. This way you are a bit ahead of triggering since you can have ghost notes and more natural dynamics etc. Still... just because I can get it working I don't suggest you to try it unless you REALLY WANT IT. :)

Where were the desire to get a good guitar tone by own means ? :p

Anyway, good job Clark ;) Pretty Interesting

Have you tried doing this using any free amp sims? If you could do this successfully with TSE X50, for example, you could make some great IRs that anyone could use.

After following the tutorial and making a few IRs, it doesn't seem to capture the room.

These IR's are only an EQ curve which is the most important part of guitar tones. Still it doesn't capture dynamics nor room, both of which are highly overrated by guitarists if you ask me.

Room is easy to recreate. IR based reverbs will do the trick. Dynamics... well to those who don't know, high gain guitars have just about ZERO dynamics. Even if they do have some dynamic range the guy mixing the record will surely compress it out. That's how it goes... just ask them.

been having fun with this over the last couple days after i figured out how to do it properly.

worst part is that it captures the tone already mastered, so if you want to use it in a mix with harmonic exciting in the mastering, which it already probably has, it'll sound like shit.

could be useful for axe fx owners however!

Well the key is not to use harmonic exciting. I mean the big guys don't... well they use Pultecs so I guess it's the same thing. :) Or use it and then compensate it with some EQ on the guitar track. Although you might rip off a tone from a professional release it doesn't automatically mean that it will fit every mix. F.ex. Petrucci's tones have NO LOW CUT. That's why we never hear Myung. :) Anyways... that's something you might want to change in your own mix. Like I said in the video... you can modify the tone to your liking and that's what makes this a handy tool.

Also if you want to use the your recording tones live this is the easiest way to get there.

I made a pretty decent sounding one from Winds of Plague's first cd, I think it's helpful in getting a good starting point for a tone and then tweaking it to fit. Thanks a bunch!

my only question, who the fuck is jon pechu-chu? :Spin:

pechuchu.jpg

:D You guys are far too kind. But hey... he had some trouble pronouncing it himself in one of his blooper reels too so somehow I'm not getting offended. :D