YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

I made another tutorial on some of the questions that I've been getting:

pattonfreak1: Umm... it depends. I wasn't successful with a song that ended in a long chord and match EQing the end. I guess it's always better that there are more than one notes being played. Usually one chord should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanna say thanks for these tut's, Clark. I deal mostly with an online collaboration project and with 3 guitarists writing songs in 3 different locations, there's finally a way that we can have our guitar tones sounding consistent from song to song/album to album.
Thanks again sir.

Hey! It's good to see people getting some succesful results with this technique! :) Sounds like you nailed it. I didn't read you post before I listened to the track (just as an experiment) and I didn't notice the guitar sound changing so I'd say you did a really good job! Keep up the good work. Protest the Hero ftw!

Hey! It's good to see people getting some succesful results with this technique! :) Sounds like you nailed it. I didn't read you post before I listened to the track (just as an experiment) and I didn't notice the guitar sound changing so I'd say you did a really good job! Keep up the good work. Protest the Hero ftw!

Cheers man, on the actual recording some notes slightly bleed into one another and a theirs a bit of room reverb. Other than that I'm amazed how close you can get to someones tone. I've got a lot of guitar master tracks I can try this on so I'll do some more recordings tonight.

Since I'm using Logic Express I don't have Space Designer to make impulses but I was able to run Voxengo in WINE to make
the impulse but when I load the impulse it doesn't make any difference to the sound. It must be bypassing the EQ curve because I end up with an empty file.

Just wondering if I can do this with a tape machine, tube saturantion, etc
(simple, i'll send a sine to the tape machine, them make the eq match from the pure sine track, than make the IR. If so, we can do this with OUTBOARD GEAR Settings - similar to waves Q-clone)

Someone make me an IR from this

and I will suck their fuckin dick. I fucking love this tone and would love to get something even remotely similar. Do it. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the vids Clark really useful!!

I have been trying to match eq ,my latest reamping with my 5150 (so i can have that sound on my axefx haha) and i have a few questions i was wondering if you could help me with..

First i read in an old thread of yours that you cut the exact same length of the target and source tracks. I can imagine this is so that the eq analyses both tracks playing the same thing. So if one is longer that would mean that one of them is playing a new part perhaps which might lead to a change in eq curve.
-Is that the right reason to why you want them to be the exact same length?
-Can one be a bit longer if it is repeating the same riff?
-Also i usually loop them if they are a bit too short so that the eq has time to "stabilize" is that wrong?

a problem i have on the other hand is i duplicated the track where i have the ozone, turned it off on the duplicated track and instead loaded the resulting IR with lecab2. When i played both together they sounded weird. On their own they appear to sound similar though the track with the IR loaded is much lower in volume. But together they seem wrong. Tried switching the phase one one but it didnt work
-Any ideas? I seem to have done everything the same as in the vid (right sample rate, sinewave exported exactly at the beggining + a few ms longer etc)

-Finally i the IR made by the deconvolver has the wave format. how do i convert that to syx? i know there was an app for that but i guess it was removed from the fractalpage..

hmm... sorry for all the questions :s

Thanks again..!

Doesn't sound great on its own, but I didn't want to copy their tone exactly, just wanted that top end bite, so blending it slightly into the impulses i was already using worked a charm. Perfect.

Now, someone do the End of Heartache tone, NOAW! :lol: Not for me per se, but it's just such a popular tone I'd like to see how close someone can get!

Just wondering if I can do this with a tape machine, tube saturantion, etc
(simple, i'll send a sine to the tape machine, them make the eq match from the pure sine track, than make the IR. If so, we can do this with OUTBOARD GEAR Settings - similar to waves Q-clone)

Well there are other things happing on a tape machine than just EQ. Match EQ will be able to get the color of a tape machine but not the creamy dynamic side... Hell... I dunno. You should try it! :)

-Is that the right reason to why you want them to be the exact same length?
-Can one be a bit longer if it is repeating the same riff?
-Also i usually loop them if they are a bit too short so that the eq has time to "stabilize" is that wrong?

a problem i have on the other hand is i duplicated the track where i have the ozone, turned it off on the duplicated track and instead loaded the resulting IR with lecab2. When i played both together they sounded weird. On their own they appear to sound similar though the track with the IR loaded is much lower in volume. But together they seem wrong. Tried switching the phase one one but it didnt work
-Any ideas? I seem to have done everything the same as in the vid (right sample rate, sinewave exported exactly at the beggining + a few ms longer etc)

-Finally i the IR made by the deconvolver has the wave format. how do i convert that to syx? i know there was an app for that but i guess it was removed from the fractalpage..

hmm... sorry for all the questions :s

Thanks again..!

Yes that is the reason I have the same length in the files. Looping them doesn't really matter that much since it's just playing the same clip. I'd say playing both clips once is a safer way to do this.

Ozone adds delay and other weird stuff too. That's why I make IR's out of the match EQ's.

Many questions... did I answer them all?

haha thanks Clark you did answer them theyre actually not that many but i just tend to say the same thing in 10 different ways :)

The only question i have left for anyone who might know is if you have any idea how to convert the wav IR from the voxengo to a sysex for axefx? this is a bit OT sorry about that..
EDIT: found the converter

d00dz!
It's a great tutorial! From our nordic neighbour..
I decided to take this further, using one of mah own secraht ressapeehs..
Unfortunetly I fucked up along the way (errors I'll explain later), but I you should get the gist of it, even if it's clipping and shit:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383166/Matching 3.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2383166/Matching 4.mp3

Which one sounds best? Match 3 or Match 4? Is one better than other? same shit? How big can a potatoe really get?

EDIT:
First riffage in both clips are the source, what follows is mine, you should hear the transition.. :D