Let's post raw guitar sounds for EQ matching.

all kidding aside ... how is this ever gonna help you learn how to CREATE a good guitar sound?

If you have crappy gear and want to get better sounds .... get better gear. I mean seriously, don't tell me you can't afford it. No one is saying to buy $20,000 worth of shit but if you're serious about recording and making your guitar sound good, you need to invest, simple as that.

The results you get after will far exceed what you're trying to achieve now

all kidding aside ... how is this ever gonna help you learn how to CREATE a good guitar sound?

If you have crappy gear and want to get better sounds .... get better gear. I mean seriously, don't tell me you can't afford it. No one is saying to buy $20,000 worth of shit but if you're serious about recording and making your guitar sound good, you need to invest, simple as that.

+1.

Does it really matter if it helps people create better tones? It's simply a cool technique for people the get just about the exact tone they hear on a record. It doesn't have to go further than that but it sure can...

I happen to think it does help people create better guitar tones. I'm sure people are surprised at how most guitar tracks aren't really "that" distorted and also their ears get used to tones that are balanced the right way.

I'd say most issues I hear in guitar tracks that I get to work with is they have 1) too much low end 2) mids are too scooped. So I'd say those tones are not balanced in a way most professional guitar tones are.

Also you have a good reference guitar tone when you're making guitar tones. Like you're in the studio and you just mic'ed your amp and your ears might be a bit fatigued. Now just reference your tone to a "professional" tone. It will give you a realistic view of your tone.

BUT I def. agree with you. Most issues I get is that guitarists have guitars that don't really stay in tune. Cheapo Ibanezzes, ESPs and all of that junk. If you really want good tone, get better gear. F.ex. I don't even play bass but I own a 1500€ bass. Just because people come in with bad basses. :D

Remember that match EQ is just EQ. Pickups have different dynamics so I don't think you can completely rip off different guitars/tone woods etc. But sure you'll get a different color for your guitar.

Clean match EQ doesn't really work that well IMO because clean playing has a lot more dynamics. Basically it's almost impossible to play the same thing twice. Distorted guitar doesn't really have dynamics. (sorry tube guys but it's true)

the main problem with that argument, which you should agree with if you're 1/2 as experienced as you make it sound, is that even if it helps someone with sub-par gear achieve a sound thats better than what they were getting on their own the fact is that it still may not work in their mix. So what happens when they something similar to Petrucci's guitar tone ... ok great, they never actually learned how to create that sound ... only to mimic. Now what happens when a band comes in wanting Grave's guitar tone? Just mimic from one of their cds? How does this ever help the person in question to learn the basics of whats needed and how to apply them to achieve great results? Even more important if its someone with aspirations of being a professional engineer and having teenagers trying to mimic THEIR guitar sounds, how will they ever develop their own "signature" sound and style like many of the ones we are inspired by have done?

Here's a quick list:

Sneap
Murphy
Madsen
Bogren
Wallace
Richardson
Date

Which of the above got to where they are and their proficiency level by finding the easiest way to copy someone else's guitar tone (sorta) with the crappiest gear they have access to?

None ... and yet these are the same guys we don't actually want to copy, we just want to be as good as

Your need to try and insult me tells me what? You don't have arguements to support what you are saying? Let's not take this conversation to a bad place. I have nothing to prove here. Not to you, not to anyone. You have no idea what kind of experience I have neither will I ever care what kind of experience you have.

I'm well aware that not every guitar tone on every album will fit every mix in the world. Does it matter? No.

And because you threw in the "experience card": Have you ever heard of using reference songs in mixing? You might want to look into that. Most professional engineers use the technique.

Why not use it with guitars too? Maybe with the help of match EQ'd guitar tones? Why so narrow minded?

And who said anything about crappy gear. What we are using is modelers which are nowadays very high quality gear. The next piece of gear is iZotope Ozone which is a versatile high quality plugin.

Once again I suggest you try match EQ and then you might have enough "experience" to say if it works or not.

Your need to try and insult me tells me what? You don't have arguements to support what you are saying? Let's not take this conversation to a bad place. I have nothing to prove here. Not to you, not to anyone. You have no idea what kind of experience I have neither will I ever care what kind of experience you have.

How did he try and insult you? Viking raised some valid points. As did I earlier. I don't see why you are taking this personally. It's not like you invented this method. You can advocate it all you want, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't help anyone in the long run achieve a professional level of AE, producer, etc. if they are attaining for that goal.

And for someone who claims to have as much experience as you have, you conduct yourself in a very unprofessional manner. I guess that's why you don't have a studio page, list references, show us some samples of your awesomesauce? Just sayin.

And who said anything about crappy gear. What we are using is modelers which are nowadays very high quality gear. The next piece of gear is iZotope Ozone which is a versatile high quality plugin.

Once again I suggest you try match EQ and then you might have enough "experience" to say if it works or not.

Since when are modelers considered "very high quality gear"? If that's the case, then I'm going to start offering POD Farm and Lepou re-amping services at a nominal fee. :lol:
(Sorry, Lepou, not dissing you or your sims)

And Ozone is a decent plug and all for what it is, but it's nowhere near what I would consider high quality. Just because a plugin costs $200, doesn't make it "high quality".

You make me giggle. :)

At no point was I trying to insult you. When I said "if you're 1/2 as experienced as you make it sound" that was not meant in any shitty way .. I was only referring to how you mentioned previously such things as:

A) "I'd say most issues I hear in guitar tracks that I get to work with ..."

B) "I don't even play bass but I own a 1500€ bass. Just because people come in with bad basses"

both of which suggest that you're working on other band's projects in at least a semi-professional way and not just dicking around with your music as a hobby

Now I actually do not feel a need to defend myself but since you OBVIOUSLY mistook what I was saying and looked at it as a personal attack I figured the least I could do would be to try and clarify what I was saying. Maybe you'll see that YOU took it the wrong way and completely over-reacted

If that works for you, cool, lets forget the last couple posts happened and as you say, not let this go to "a bad place"

If it doesn't work for you ... suck a dick

How did he try and insult you? Viking raised some valid points. As did I earlier. I don't see why you are taking this personally. It's not like you invented this method. You can advocate it all you want, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't help anyone in the long run achieve a professional level of AE, producer, etc. if they are attaining for that goal.

And for someone who claims to have as much experience as you have, you conduct yourself in a very unprofessional manner. I guess that's why you don't have a studio page, list references, show us some samples of your awesomesauce? Just sayin.

Since when are modelers considered "very high quality gear"? If that's the case, then I'm going to start offering POD Farm and Lepou re-amping services at a nominal fee. :lol:
(Sorry, Lepou, not dissing you or your sims)

And Ozone is a decent plug and all for what it is, but it's nowhere near what I would consider high quality. Just because a plugin costs $200, doesn't make it "high quality".

You make me giggle. :)

With high quality modelers I mean Axe-Fx. And like I said before, I don't have the need to prove my experience or skills. I can be honest. I'm not making millions with my engineering. I think Ozone is high quality. Not because someone else who I think is pro said it. Only because I get amazing results using it. Yes, I use my ears.

Hey fuckface

At no point was I trying to insult you. When I said "if you're 1/2 as experienced as you make it sound" that was not meant in any shitty way .. I was only referring to how you mentioned previously such things as:

A) "I'd say most issues I hear in guitar tracks that I get to work with ..."

B) "I don't even play bass but I own a 1500€ bass. Just because people come in with bad basses"

both of which suggest that you're working on other band's projects in at least a semi-professional way and not just dicking around with your music as a hobby

Now I actually do not feel a need to defend myself but since you OBVIOUSLY mistook what I was saying and looked at it as a personal attack I figured the least I could do would be to try and clarify what I was saying. Maybe you'll see that YOU took it the wrong way and completely over-reacted

If that works for you, cool, lets forget the last couple posts happened and as you say, not let this go to "a bad place"

If it doesn't work for you ... suck a dick

Both of the things I said above are true. I would say I'm something inbetween a professional/hobby engineer. It's not what pays the bills but I hope someday it will. I study IT in a university... STILL I DO WORK WITH PEOPLE IN RECORDINGS AND I DO OWN AN EXPENSIVE BASS THAT I FIND IS ESSENTIAL FOR THE OVERALL MIX TONE I GET.

Still none of this has anything to do with match EQing. But if you guys want to discuss my personal life I can start a blog. I guess I'm that interesting. :)

And sorry if I got angry here. :)

It's just lame to hear people bash match EQ. Especially when I know they never even tried it. But I'm sure drum samples got bashed the first time they were introduced.

Both of the things I said above are true. I would say I'm something inbetween a professional/hobby engineer. It's not what pays the bills but I hope someday it will. I study IT in a university... STILL I DO WORK WITH PEOPLE IN RECORDINGS AND I DO OWN AN EXPENSIVE BASS THAT I FIND IS ESSENTIAL FOR THE OVERALL MIX TONE I GET.

Still none of this has anything to do with match EQing. But if you guys want to discuss my personal life I can start a blog. I guess I'm that interesting. :)

dude I can't figure you out here

I'm obviously not being clear enough ... I'm not asking for credentials. I never once suggested that the above statements were false. I'm sure you do work with people/bands and I'm sure you do own that bass

It was because of those statements from you that I assumed you were working in some semi-professional capacity. I don't care if it does or doesn't pay the bills, the whole point was that I was actually giving you credit for the fact that you must have a clue as to what you're doing

I don't see how that got by you TWICE but so be it.