YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

This is a really cool way to ensure that your track still sounds super analog.

There are endless ways of using match EQ. I'll say it again and again although I'm starting to sound like a match eq geek. :D

FYI, I tried Match EQ-ing my acoustic DI signal to the acoustic in "Ministry of lost souls" and "Misunderstood" and the results were shockingly great. I ran a compressor after Ozone and it was really good, definitely usable. I am gonna try Ozone after an acoustic amp sim or something and see what the difference is.

Let's say we find a part in a song where there is only guitar and we try to match eq it. Isn't it useless since for sure there is automation goin on, meaning that the guitar alone is not the same as when it is with the other instruments?

If it's only automating volume then ofcourse it doesn't matter. If it's got a lowcut or effects you'll probably hear it in the first place and be wise enough not to match EQ that part. :) Simply match EQ the raw tones that you like.

But sure... match EQing stuff like the Paramore tone sucks a bit since there's some extreme post EQ on that tone. But then again that's why the tone sounds the way it does so I dunno if it's for the worse.

At the moment I'm loving the raw metal tones I ripped from this forum. I'm sharing them here and you can also take a listen to them: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...046-poll-raw-guitar-tone-comparison-vote.html

today i tried to match eq drums....complete FAIL!
did i do wrong or does it not work with percussive material!?

i think it wouod be great if we could match metal foundry
to sound anyewhere close to slate etc.

Soultrash said:
today i tried to match eq drums....complete FAIL!
did i do wrong or does it not work with percussive material!?

i think it wouod be great if we could match metal foundry
to sound anyewhere close to slate etc.

I've tried that too, didn't work for me either, a lot of the highs were cut and they sounded a bit softer. The only possible way I think this could work would be if each drum/cymbal was tuned to the original track.

The Paramore Ignorance patch has the "Rock 900" with Gain: 9, Bass: 5, Middle: 5, Treble: 5, Presence: 3, Volume: 8.

I'm not sure if I posted the older Paramore patch but it had the same settings but Gain on full.

Match EQing drums is VERY COMPLICATED. Match EQing kicks works pretty. But snare is almost impossible to match EQ since you can't EQ more snare top into it (it just doesn't sound the same) and also snare has a clear pitch so if you match EQ two snares they should be in the same pitch. This ofcourse means that both of these snares should be tuned in a similar way etc. It's not easy by any means.

When match EQing drums you really have to use the smoothing of the match EQ to get a usable tone instead of that phasy weird sound. Ozone5 might be better for drum match EQ.

Should I make a tutorial about this?

I've tried that too, didn't work for me either, a lot of the highs were cut and they sounded a bit softer. The only possible way I think this could work would be if each drum/cymbal was tuned to the original track.

yeah i got the same results. not sure how to adapt the drum tuning,
maybe kent's tutorial will help! :)

not sure how to adapt the drum tuning,
maybe kent's tutorial will help! :)

If you can't manually tune the drums to matching pitch then you can pitch shift them afterwards. Superior Drummer 2 has a good pitch shifter built in so that's probably the easiest way to do this.

Clark, I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a problem:
1) I made the eq match with ozone, everything ok. Then I bypass the ampsim and add the sinewave.
2) When I export the sine wave (same sample rate, 15s, tried let 1, 2 ,3 ,4 and 5 seconds empty on the end), and add to deconvolver, deconvolve, it gives me an 1kb wav. When I load as an impulse it just do nothing. What I am doing wrong?

Here is the match eq wav file (not deconvolved) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2248618/natas.wav

Cheers!

No problem. If I can't help at times I'm sure other members of the forum can help. Umm... 1kB is not right. So the problem is most likely with the Deconvolver. Are you loading the right sine sweep in the "Test tone file:" That should be the RAW sweep file that you inserted in your DAW and below that is the "file folder" where you should load the sweep that went through Ozone.

No problem. If I can't help at times I'm sure other members of the forum can help. Umm... 1kB is not right. So the problem is most likely with the Deconvolver. Are you loading the right sine sweep in the "Test tone file:" That should be the RAW sweep file that you inserted in your DAW and below that is the "file folder" where you should load the sweep that went through Ozone.

Yep. For some reason I reinstalled Deconvolver and it worked as a charm!
Cheers for helping!!! :kickass: