I need help with reading eq's

Apr 23, 2011
whats all this 8k and 7hz and this at that mean. maybe explain it to me some or link me to a article that explains it better? thanks a ton in advance.

They're frequencies. Human hearing goes from 20 Hertz (Low) to 20,000 Hertz (High)
Hertz is commonly expressed as Hz and thousands of hertz expressed as kilo-hertz or kHz. So your hearing goes from 20hz to 20kHz.

Open an eq plugin and look at the numbers displayed as you move an eq cut or boost from left to right, as you move it to the left (lower frequencies) the number goes down. As you move it to the right the number goes up (higher frequencies)

What a bunch of insecure pseudoelitist kids...

An award to Trevoire for actually understanding and then answering the question.

My suggestion would be to find some good parametric equalizer plugin (for example Electri-Q Posihfopit Edition) and an analyzer plugin (Voxengo Span), then tweak the equalizer and observe the analyzer while listening to how the sound changes.

ps. There is a skin for Electri-Q that shows instrument frequency ranges.

BlackManThongSlapped.gif

Just work with your EQ levels until you find a tone that sounds good to you. I wouldn't worry so much about the semantics/meanings. Be prepared to spend some time and frustration (as I think we can all relate to when tweaking our tones/EQs).

They're frequencies. Human hearing goes from 20 Hertz (Low) to 20,000 Hertz (High)
Hertz is commonly expressed as Hz and thousands of hertz expressed as kilo-hertz or kHz. So your hearing goes from 20hz to 20kHz.

Open an eq plugin and look at the numbers displayed as you move an eq cut or boost from left to right, as you move it to the left (lower frequencies) the number goes down. As you move it to the right the number goes up (higher frequencies)

thanks man i really appreciate that. that did help me.

as far as you other guys, I tried Google. nothing really answers my question or i would get something that wasn't even related to eq, so i though i could as this forum for help.... just cause im new at this. completely new at this so i really have no clue or understanding about 1/4 of the stuff that some of you guys in this forum do... so i figured id ask.

I've never heard anyone target 7hz as a problem area.

man i was just using 7Hz or hZ or what ever as an reference... i have no clue what 7hz even means. lol.

What a bunch of insecure pseudoelitist kids...

An award to Trevoire for actually understanding and then answering the question.

My suggestion would be to find some good parametric equalizer plugin (for example Electri-Q Posihfopit Edition) and an analyzer plugin (Voxengo Span), then tweak the equalizer and observe the analyzer while listening to how the sound changes.

ps. There is a skin for Electri-Q that shows instrument frequency ranges.

okay man this really helps as well. im going to go hop on this asap.

I just like to have a full understanding of what im doing, and why im doing something . so in this case i want to understand why im changing what on the eq.
I think of you have your mind around all the technical stuff, you can be more creative towards the actually music your recording.

And not have to worrie about how your actually going to portray the sound you want in your recording software.

so even though this eq stuff may seem amateur...

im amateur when it comes to recording.

Just work with your EQ levels until you find a tone that sounds good to you. I wouldn't worry so much about the semantics/meanings. Be prepared to spend some time and frustration (as I think we can all relate to when tweaking our tones/EQs).

yeah man im going to have to end up doing it like this haha :)

if there is one thing im good at recording, its turning nobs to see what the hell they do haha.

thanks man i really appreciate that. that did help me.

as far as you other guys, I tried Google. nothing really answers my question or i would get something that wasn't even related to eq, so i though i could as this forum for help.... just cause im new at this. completely new at this so i really have no clue or understanding about 1/4 of the stuff that some of you guys in this forum do... so i figured id ask.

Normally, when someone says do a search or use google, they mean use google to search this site. This site has been around for 10 years (or more) and there's tons of cool stuff that's already been discussed. I usually go to google and type in something like this....
"eq guitars mix site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/" (without the quotations though)
^ doing an exact phrase like that will search ONLY this website for whatever keywords or exact phrases you put in before the "site:" part. For example, that search would yield results for keywords like eq, guitars, and mix. Just a little tip if you didn't already know that.

People aren't being assholes when they say "do a search" and don't generally mean to go to another site or another forum. They just mean do a search of this site, as there's probably multiple (or even hundreds) of threads already created on said topic.

Good luck man!

Oh, and here's a cool pic I saved to my desktop a long time ago and glance at from time to time as a reminder of what "home" specific instruments have in a mix. Keep in mind though, it's all relative to your mix and these are just general starter guidelines. In context, one instrument may sound like complete shit, so obvious experimenting and tweaking the eq will be dependent on your ears and trusting yourself to know what sounds good for your own mix and music.

Interactive-Frequency-Chart.png

And here's another ...

frequency_chart_lg.gif