I need some advice...

derek

Grey Eminence
Sep 30, 2005
Edinburgh, U.K.
Some of you probably know I'm moving to Russia next month to teach Ancient History (and English on the side, for ze rubles).

I've been offered excellent positions in two places: Tyumen, which is 2000KM or so east of Moscow and a pretty modern city with a great standard of living.

The second (Yuzhno Sakhalinsk) is about 20KM North of Japan, by sea. The city has a Russian and a Japanese name and seems to be a pretty heavy mix of the two.

Now, I'm not sure I want to get too Eastern on my first year living in Russia, but it sounds damn interesting.

Thoughts?

Yep. The payscale is slightly higher there too, PLUS, apparently, and I can't really verify this, I've been told that Tyumen is home to the business side of Russia's Gas and Oil industry, which means rich people willing to pay beautiful English speakers insane amounts of money to teach their children.

The wiki makes mention though of the large Korean population, and makes no mention of the Japanese. Maybe it's a given.

I need to read the Wiki. I was in North Korea last year, and well...yeah, not so much. Plenty of time for the Southerners though.

Looking at photos, and doing some reading about it, it looks to be very small town compared to the impressiveness of Choice A.

Things are not looking up for Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk!

What I would do is go where the food is going to be better, a mix of traditional russian and asian sounds very interesting, but immersing yourself in just the russian aspects could be wonderful too

I read the wikipedias on both and the first choice looks indubitably better.

What he said.
But hey, heading to Yuzhno Sakhalinsk could be awesome cause then you could travel to Japan, Korea, China...etc etc etc.
However you'd probably make more money in Tyumen. Well, only you can decide.

Yeah, I've been to Vladi and complete blur of European Russia and Asia is something to behold. I tend to eat pretty frugally, so I'm more about culture, architecture and fine looking ass.

My guess is that Yuzhno Sakhalinsk probably has cheaper whores.

That's not a factor really, but a truism none the less. (or guessism, at least).

Me personally, I'd probably choose Yuzhno Sakhalinsk. I really like the old Japanese cultures and food. I'd Travel to Japan as much as possible.

I've been to Japan a few times already, and I'm already going for 9 days next month. It's a FUN place to be, but I don't know if I could live there. I'll maybe look into it in a few years.

I'd dig Yuzhno Sakhalinsk but like everyone has mentioned, it's all about researching the two before you go. I don't know where in Japan you have been but it's my understanding that northern Japan near Russia in comparison with a place like Kyoto would be a significant difference.

If you have the option to, I'd see about making a couple trips to both towns/cities so you can get a feel for them. You can only learn so much about a place from pictures; it's best to breathe the air. I'd pay attention to other things as well, including crime rates and cost of living.