I need some ideas...

Incendiare

hejdundrande skitsnack
Apr 23, 2003
Ok, so I just recently installed a whole bunch of programs and would like to make my own website. Problem is, I don't know exactly what it should be about. All I know is it should be underground metal related, but the key is to make a unique site. So, my elite DT forum members, are there any kind of metal sites that you would like to see yet aren't actually in existance? For example, a metal encyclopedia helping people discover more bands that are similar to ones they already like, or a rare picture site. The internet needs another metal site, but about what, I don't know. So please help! Thanks.

Hmmm...you could do what most non-professional metal websites don't, which is actually give a coherent and well-designed site.
Maybe if you searched around, you could find out the gear used by various bands, which is something that I'm always interested in as a guitar player. Just a thought :)

@Thanatos: I'd sure need alot of time on my hands to write my own reviews though. Unless I can just cut and paste every single review I find on the net and claim them to be my own. :D

@D_J: Actually, I never thought about the whole band gear site. That way I could keep it updated for fans like you whenever bands obtain new gear. :)

Thanks, that would be great!

It's just so incredibly confusing not knowing what to do. But I think I might seriously go for the band gear idea taking I haven't seen such a site yet.

"Dani Filth accompanies with screwing machines aka. machines that screw."

"Finally, no more plumpy Goth girls,just fat heavymetal boys being toyed by Satan loving seniors."

Sounds intresting?

@incendiare: personally, i would love a site with an as-complete-as-possible list of forthcoming and new releases. i've seen most databases around, and they're often very wide but a tad difficult to browse if you're looking for what's coming soon, and some are not often updated.

i also offer my contribution - not that i have much free time, but still - if you need any piece of writing done. :)

rahvin.

Sounds great, rahvin! I went from havign almost no ideas to having tons, so I'm basically still in the same situation because I don't know what to do.

How does this sound: A database with upcoming releases, information on the band's latest gear, and a collection of rare photos of the band?

i was thinking huge collection of pictures of a band, ie everything that can be found online or so..

Talking lawyer speak for a second, I would verify ALL sources where you get the pics if you do get them. Make sure you get written permission for each set of photos, and make sure you save and backup this permissive evidence so that if there is a misunderstanding it can be quickly remedied. Also ensure you give all credit where credit is due for any information used from any source; its much harder to scream copyright theft or plagiarism when you name your sources and thank them for the contribution. :)

Yeah, that was the one thing that was holding me back from making some sort of ultimate picture site. But otherwise, thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Maybe a database of metal info, band lineups, discography, artwork, album info/tracklisting, bios, and reviews? it covers everything. it can be misc. metal stuff :)

Steve420 said:
Maybe a database of metal info, band lineups, discography, artwork, album info/tracklisting, bios, and reviews? it covers everything. it can be misc. metal stuff :)

librarius metallicus (www.librariusmetallicus.com) already does that, except maybe for the reviews. but if you go there and just want to check what's coming you'll have a hard time, as most info are added some time after the release date. of course this is their choice, and there's plenty of stuff that site does very well, but in order to differentiate i think incendiare could focus on the new releases and gear subjects. :)

rahvin.

Yeah, I think that'd be a great idea, Incendiare...

And if you need someone to do reviews for you, I'm always up for it. I wrote a bunch of Therion reviews for another site, but as they're mine, I can send them to you :)

~Kovenant
~Nothing is trivial

rahvin said:
librarius metallicus (www.librariusmetallicus.com) already does that, except maybe for the reviews. but if you go there and just want to check what's coming you'll have a hard time, as most info are added some time after the release date. of course this is their choice, and there's plenty of stuff that site does very well, but in order to differentiate i think incendiare could focus on the new releases and gear subjects. :)

rahvin.

And Encyclopedia Metallum (www.metal-archives.com) does all that including the reviews.
My advice would be to go for something a bit more narrow, like the band gear idea. A complete database over all known metal bands with discographies and what the members eat for breakfast would be too time consuming and seeing as there are a couple of those sites around already you'd have trouble reaching out to an audience.
As for the upcoming releases thing, that's what I'd like to see the most, if it's kept constantly updated. Sure, there's www.metalupdate.com but what about doing it like a calendar sort of thing? A search engine would also be nice, both to see when certain albums were/are to be released and what was released on a certain date.

NP: Agent Steel - Order of the Illuminati

band gear
upcoming tours & metalfests
upcoming releases

I was thinking the reviews would be time consuming. But thanks to everyone who wants to make contributions.

if i want to know something about bands, i usually visit http://www.allmusic.com/ . I found almost everything there except for a few, uhm, exceptions.
If you plan a website, make sure you add new content regularly or noone will bother to come back. You could keep a list of metal concerts in your region, because global stuff can easily be found elsewhere. You need info, pics and stuff that is hard to get. Either concentrate on a few bands and dig out every tiny bit of info you can get or build a regional news page, that would be my advice.