Need some tips for an album

@Siren: Still Life is my favorite Opeth album too. ;) (don't have My Arms Your Hearse :( )
by the way, Blackwater Park is not a concept album? i ever thought it was. :confused:

Miolo

I think I skip Stormwarrior, I'm not much into Helloween.
I've heard a couple of Opeth songs and "Moonlapse Vertigo" and "Benighted" are hell of a songs!!!! I will get my copy of BWP first and then make up my mind!

Originally posted by Miolo

by the way, Blackwater Park is not a concept album? i ever thought it was. :confused:

Miolo

Yes i heard it's not a concept album (i always thought it was),though the songs seem very "close" and related.
I thought it talk about some stories happened in that foggy and grim park in the drawing on the cd cover...my mind is a mess

Originally posted by Hiljainen
Yes i heard it's not a concept album (i always thought it was),though the songs seem very "close" and related.

yeah,indeed.....the songs are related considering the fact that there is more or less the same idea behind them,so i this sense the album can be characterised as "concept".
But speaking in terms of concept album as an album whose songs are linked to each other forming a story, BWP is definitely not a concept.....

confusing :p

Ok, so it's a themed album. :p
Someone taught me that with the story is a concept, without the story (like Iced Earth's "Horror Show") is a themed album. :rolleyes:

Miolo (trying to make things clearer)

Originally posted by seventi

4: The Kovenant - the cult album, don't recall the title, something with "light".

Come on, give me a helping hand here:D

"In Times Before The Light" is the title of that album and it is quite excellent, but I like all their albums tho. I actually think ITBtL is not the "cult" album tho, I think that title goes to Nexus Polaris.

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja
"In Times Before The Light" is the title of that album and it is quite excellent, but I like all their albums tho. I actually think ITBtL is not the "cult" album tho, I think that title goes to Nexus Polaris.

Nexus Polaris is great!!

Altough, my choice went to Opeth - Deliverance!

Originally posted by Siren
And what is the theme behind BWP? :rolleyes:

i had an interview where Mikael Å. where he was talking about it,but due to my alzheimer i don't recall everything......it was about death,life,people and relationships between them,how people suck etc....it sounds quite bitter......
anyway personally i had a lot of trouble interpreting the lyrics of this album...but i can feel the bitterness and the disappointment in them....

Damn... saw this too late and Salamy beat me to it. Yes, they just re-released In Times Before the Light, with everything remastered and keyboards redone (very, very nicely), and so I don't know if you could call it the 'cult' album anymore (tho if I recall correctly, they refer to it in just those terms in the insert). Nexus definitely rules the bunch though.... but I take it you already have that...

Anyway, good luck with Deliverance... got it a few days ago, and its been kinda hard for me to get into it... but thats a different story...

~Kovenant(edit: hehe... forgot the cd title was in my loc.)

Originally posted by Melancholia
but i can feel the bitterness and the disappointment in them....

I can't make it out between all the whining and overly long and pointless songs either :D
(You all know I had to do it :lol: )

Originally posted by Kovenant84
I don't know if you could call it the 'cult' album anymore (tho if I recall correctly, they refer to it in just those terms in the insert).

I wouldn't call it a 'cult' album, I think what the band is refering as a cult album is a bit different from what I think is a cult album, if you ask people what band made these albums and then you name 'Nexus Polaris' and 'In Times Before The Light' I think most will go, yeah, NP was by K/Covenant, but I have never heard of the other one :)
But of course NP was one of the first black metal albums I heard, so that might also affect it's 'cult' status in my eyes :)

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja
...if you ask people what band made these albums and then you name 'Nexus Polaris' and 'In Times Before The Light' I think most will go, yeah, NP was by K/Covenant, but I have never heard of the other one :)
But of course NP was one of the first black metal albums I heard, so that might also affect it's 'cult' status in my eyes :)

Hehe, yeah, I know what you mean. Actually, while in hindsight it's not black metal in any way, Animatronic was my gateway into K/Covenant and black metal in general, and while I still think that NP is one of the greatest albums ever created, I had no idea that ITBtL existed until I saw the re-release in Tower Records a month ago, which made me think it somewhat cult-ish. Long sentence...sorry.

~Kovenant