I Need some New albums

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Hiya.

I havnt bought a cd for quite some time now (last one was Pain of Salvation live a few months back, and before that it would have been Train of Thought in November :OMG: )

I'm getting pretty sick of my collection. Need some new music to listen to.

I am going to buy a few YES albums cause I love the Best of CD that I have. I'm thinking Fragile, Close to the Edge and The Yes Album.

So reccomend me some music. Dont want any Power Metal. Will accept Heavy Metal, Prog, Rock, RUSH suggestions (Dont have ANY rush albums)

Inspire me motherfuckers o_O

Very good picks with the three Yes albums, they all rock.

Get some Rush! 2112 and Moving Pictures are a good place to start, and their live albums are all tops too (especially Different Stages - get that one, has a good selection of music from all eras).

Go on.

I'd rather get the studio versions before diving into the live stuff. I find I can listen to the studio version, fall in love, and then hear the live version and be blown away again. I dont think it has ever worked the other way where I have heard the Live version first and then heard the original, and liked it as much

Also on my list are:

YES - Fragile
YES - Close to the Edge
YES - Yes Album
Symphony X - The ODYSSY
Iced Earth - TGB
Opeth - Still Life

Would like to check out some Porcupine Tree and Spocks Beard as well as I have never heard either of them

I'm gonna suggest the Dokken live and acoustic album, One Live Night. :)

Spruce Goose said:
I'd rather get the studio versions before diving into the live stuff. I find I can listen to the studio version, fall in love, and then hear the live version and be blown away again. I dont think it has ever worked the other way where I have heard the Live version first and then heard the original, and liked it as much

Ok, then try Dysfunctional. It's not 'classic' Dokken, as it's more serious and epic than the classics. It also contains some of the best supporting vocal harmony you'll ever hear.
I recommended One Live Night purely because it seems to goes really well with the Pain Of Salvation live album.. I often find myself listening to those back to back.

Dokken are a melodic hard rock band from the '80s with probably the best guitarist from the '80s flashy metal guitar era George Lynch. Their classic stuff is basically ultra-melodic '80s hard rock with big harmonies and killer guitar work and a real "nice" love song kinda sound as opposed to a sleazy/party/attitude sound. They are a great band. I don't have Dysfunctional though I only have their classic stuff.

Sometimes Dokken get mistakenly labeled as glam, simply because of what they looked like during the 80's. I think that's selling them way short..

George Lynch was easily one of the best and most influential guitarist of the early 80's - Lord Tim even named a song after him. With Jeff Pilson and Mick Brown backing up the vocals of Don Dokken, you’ll always get a killer harmony reminiscent of Queen and The Beatles.

Albums like Tooth and Nail, and Under Lock And Key may be considered the 'essential Dokken' albums, but I'll stand by my recommendation of Dysfunctional. If you'd rather just hear what made Dokken popular, then buy the Best Of.

* Or just listen to what Trixxi has to say.

Ooh, Spock's Beard. Definitely get V, awesome album. :headbang: Remasters of their earlier albums are out now, bought Beware of Darkness yesterday but haven't listened to it yet.

Don't worry they are nothing like glam at all. Melodic hard rock is the only way to describe them really.

Every song of theirs from the classic era has nice vocal harmonies and a melodic but flashy guitar solo! Haha! Some of my favourites:
- Dream Warriors
- Heaven Sent
- It's Not Love
- The Hunter
- Will The Sun Rise?
- Prisoner
- So Many Tears
- Stop Fighting Love
- Don't Lie To Me

Yep, Under Lock & Key and Back For The Attack are my 2 favourite albums by them obviously haha!

Spruce - here's some suggestions from me :)

Zoltabrane - I think this self-titled EP is still available on amazon, though their website has vanished. Indie instrumental progrock group from the US, really stylish retro stuff.

Steve Unruh - www.steveunruh.com. This guy is one of the most innovative songwriters I've heard, and all his work is also independent. If you've ever heard Neal Morse or NDV's solo albums, he's a lot like them - very very clever lyrics and music. Generally pretty soft progrock. I recommend Beginning of a New Day, and Out of the Ashes.

(and if you haven't heard any Morse or NDV, I'll suggest them too. I have Neal Morse's self-titled solo album and NDV - Karma).

Arabesque - The Union. Dutch progmetal with dual female vocalists. Very impressive.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. I'm not familiar with much PT, but seeing as you're looking for them, I do have IA and it's great - really psyche in parts, definitely cool. And Steven Wilson has a sexy voice. :D

Spock's Beard - get either V or Snow. Snow is one of those albums where you never stop finding new things in it with subsequent listens.

Time Requiem - this is an insanely wanky keyboard progmetal project from Richard Andersson :D Extremely nifty and worth a look.

Stramonio - this group has two albums, I can't remember what the first one is called, but the second one is Mother Invention. They're really different; the first one (which I've heard but don't own) is pretty good progrock, but Mother Invention is really oddball - lots of jazz thrown into the mix, and it's got some of the strangest lyrics ever. I really got into it.

In Extremo - German heavy metal with bagpipes in. Nuff said. :D

Paul Nelson - www.paulnelson.com. His instrumental guitar solo album LOOK is very cool.

Rush - I agree with the 2112 vote - this has to be a definite :) This was my first Rush album and well worth it.

Vanden Plas - you may already have their stuff, they're pretty well known, but I've never heard you mention it so I'll put in a word for them anyway. Awesome progmetal. Get Colour Temple or Beyond Daylight.

Karmakanic - Entering the Spectra. This is a pretty off-the-wall side project, a concept album, which features some of the Flower Kings.

Threshold - awesome Pommy progmetal - go the recent stuff for preference, Critical Mass or Hypothetical.

Devin Townsend - I just picked up Accelerated Evolution the other day and it's really grabbed me. There's something about his work which I really love, I can't totally put a finger on it yet, but this is a great album. Totally nothing like SYL though, of course.

It's a long list, take from it what you will :)

Spruce Goose said:
I like the sound of Dokken from your description Sydo... Hit me with a cool song with nice vocal harmonies and a melodic guitar solo
All those Trixxi mention are great and classic Dokken. :headbang:
Try Hole In My Head or The Maze from Dysfunctional for something a little different.