Need Some Recomendations

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
Im going to go on a cd binge and search for some new music. I want a cd by Death, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Symphony X, and any other goodbands I dont really know about. Any suggestions?

Porcupine Tree - definitely NOT Fear of a Blank Planet, it's the only one of their later discography which I don't spin. Get one of these: Stupid Dream - Lightbulb Sun - In Absentia - Deadwing.
Death: get Individual Through Patterns.
Katatonia: yeah, Brave Murder Day owns. Mikeal did the growls on that album. Their last one, while not properly doom metal, also kicks ass. It's called "The Great Cold Distance".
Can't help with Symphony X, sorry. If you like them, you might check out Ayreon, more proggy adn "synthetized", I like them (be warned, they are quite a lot cheesy).

Porcupine Tree-Fear of a Blank Planet or In Absentia or Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun
Katatonia-Last Fair Deal Gone Down or Viva Emptiness
Pain of Salvation-Be, Remedy Lane or The Perfect Element

Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Porcupine Tree - FoaBP or Deadwing
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down or The Great Cold Distance.

I've been listening to quite a bit of Death lately, I recommend everything from Human (my favourite) onwards. As for Porcupine Tree, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia are the stand-out albums for me. Katatonia, Brave Murder Day is undoubtedly their peak though Last Fair Deal Gone Down ain't too shabby either. Other recommendations I can give: Solefald is band I've gotten heavily into recently, it's basically Avant-Garde Black Metal, they have some very catchy songs. I can very highly recommend 'In Harmonia Universali'.

I've been listening to quite a bit of Death lately, I recommend everything from Human (my favourite) onwards. As for Porcupine Tree, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia are the stand-out albums for me. Katatonia, Brave Murder Day is undoubtedly their peak though Last Fair Deal Gone Down ain't too shabby either. Other recommendations I can give: Solefald is band I've gotten heavily into recently, it's basically Avant-Garde Black Metal, they have some very catchy songs. I can very highly recommend 'In Harmonia Universali'.

LFDGD is undoubtedly their benchmark album.

LFDGD is undoubtedly their benchmark album.

Well, I suppose in that case, Brave Murder Day is undoubtedly their best, in my opinion. Oh, and another band recommendation; The Morningside. If you like Brave Murder Day Katatonia and/or Agalloch I highly recommend them, the download link is in my sig.

Death - Spiritual Healing
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Black Planet
Symphony X - The Odyssey

All the Death's albums are great. Spiritual Healing is their best plain death metal effort, after that Chuck tried to go more progressive. I think that Spiritual Healing is a good choice to start: Chucks solos are awsome, and non other than James Murphy plays guitar in this cd too. So, don't forget to get SH. Also Leprosy is very good ("Open Casket", "Leprosy", "Left to Die", "Pull the Plug"). Scream Bloody Gore is a great album, but is very raw. Buy this one at the end.

Porcupine Tree, definitely go for In Absentia. As for Katatonia, I'd go for The Great Cold Distance. Different from their earlier work but an awesome album and easy to get into. It got me into them actually.

Death does not have one bad album. You can't go wrong with anyone you go with. With that said I would recommend Symbolic or Human which are my personal favorites. But like i said, they are all great.

Porcupine Tree i would defiantly go with Fear of a Blank Planet

Yeah easily. That song slayed live:kickass:

they played Anesthetize live? that must've taken some guts.

and for pt definitely do NOT start with Fear of a Blank Planet. It's a good album, but the best album to start with them would be In Absentia, Stupid Dream or Deadwing.