I need you opinions on these pod xt sounds!

wicked_s

Sep 19, 2004
I'm about to record the rhythm guitars for my bands promotion cd-single but I'm not sure about the sound. I've come up with some presets in my Pod xt Pro that I think could work, I've recorded the same section with different tones, please have a listen and tell me what you think. Wich one of these do you prefer?

31D
32A
32B
32C
32D

32B is ok. To be honest though, I don't really like how any of them sound. They are too tinny. There's no body to the tones at all. What model are you using on your POD?

There are different models in every mp3,

L-6 Chunk Chunk
Spinal Puppet
MS- Criminal
MS- Bomber Uber

Anyone with suggestions? I need to get some good rhythm sound on this.

I tried to tweak some more, and here are 2 more alternatives. I tried to get more "body" to it like you suggested Diabolic :hotjump:

17D
19D

31D is good.

I don't know how many guitars (layers of) you did record but remember to give the extra punch to record the far left and right tracks with a on axis mic (the 75) and the less far left and right tracks with an off axis mic (same 75).

Go for FOUR tracks, you play really tight and this is what it take to multilayering the rhythm tracks. :Smokedev:

wicked_s said:
I'm trying to learn, so please do explain if you want to. :Spin:

Reading my post back I realise I could have come across like a self proclaimed know-it-all. Truth is, I'm a home recorder and not a pro. Take that into consideration before listening to my opinion.
That said, I didn't go into a lengthy explanation because I figured it wouldn't make much sense probably. I just felt that, to my ears, 31D sounded 'clear'. With that I mean the notes are easy to distinguish and there is little 'scratchiness' to it. Besides, I thought it was the one that sounded the fullest and most natural.
As Moonlapse pointed out, there was also one that was really bad, in that it was hard to distinguish what is played.
I hope this helps

edit: The new ones do seem to have a bit more body, but wheter that's needed is hard to judge without the bass I think. Depends on how much space you leave the bass to make it sound full.

19D sounds pretty good and thick. How many guitar tracks did you make and did you eq them differently?

19D sounds nice under palm muting and chording but it seems to sound a little weak with single notes. I know pulling the gain back helps alot with clarity, but pulling it back too much just loses that thick distortion sound we all love.

Moonlapse said:
I know pulling the gain back helps alot with clarity, but pulling it back too much just loses that thick distortion sound we all love.

That's why I layer 4 tracks. When you hear any one of the tracks "solo", they are weak, but when you stack them... CRUNCH. You have to be able to play super tight to pull of 4 tracks and still have them come out clear. Especially if you'e doing a bunch of right hand mute work (or left if you're goofy).

Yeah I totally agree, which is why I found it curious that he seemed to only use two tracks for it. I think getting past that single note weakness problem with some layering will make 19d a usable sound.

All the previous recordings was only 2 guitars, (100% left and 100% right). I've done 3 new recordings with layering 4 guitars (100% left, 100% right & 55% left and 55% right). I also used on axis mic with the ones on 55% and off axis on the ones with 100% like Fabbio recomended. I didn't use any post eq or comp.

19Dx4
31Dx4
32Ax4

By the way, thanks for helping me out! :worship:

My choices are definately still the 19Dx4 and the 31Dx4. I think at that point it's up to you. 31D works more as a thrashy sort of tone, with a scoop quality that would probably make it alot easier to mix leads in afterwards. 19D has more midrange action happening and could quite possibly not be a good choice for the sort of music you want it for.

From the material you've shown us, I'd say 31Dx4 is the best fit.

Hmm, I tried adding some bass-guitar and added some post EQ to the guitars, trying to blend it in. I must have the guitars done before this weekend, it's 3 songs and I'm getting a bit freaked out by it. lol. :loco:

19Dx4EQ

Moonlapse said:
My choices are definately still the 19Dx4 and the 31Dx4. I think at that point it's up to you. 31D works more as a thrashy sort of tone, with a scoop quality that would probably make it alot easier to mix leads in afterwards. 19D has more midrange action happening and could quite possibly not be a good choice for the sort of music you want it for.

From the material you've shown us, I'd say 31Dx4 is the best fit.

What kind of style do you think the 19D would would be usefull for?