I Transpire

Sorry if there's already been a thread on this.... I am yet to locate the search function.

I've heard people talk about LFDGD, with songs such as Teargas and Sweet Nurse being mentioned as highlights. Yet no one seems to mention "I Transpire."

To me, this is THE standout track on the album! I go and get the CD from my car just to listen to this song!

The verses are fantastic in terms of building tension, and the effect on Jonas' vocals is very interesting.

The bridge that follows is just perfect. When Jonas sings "I'm awake, I'm right in the circle now", I can't help but stop and listen and be moved by both his vocal line and the guitar melodies beneath it. And the vocal harmony on "I am with them" which follows is incredible.

The chorus, with its minimalist approach on the drums and continuing mournful atmsophere, is brilliant. There is such a sense of resignation in the lyrics here. He is accepting his fate because he knows that "Their hearts, they are similar to mine." He knows that if their roles were reversed, he would not be acting any differently.

Such a good song.

"I Transpire" is my favourite song. This is also the song which made me Katatonia fan. LFDGD nwas the first Katatonia album I heard and this track was the first that really impressed me, though the rest grew on me later and I love the whole album now.

Yeah I think it's a great song but I think Future Of Speech and Tonights music are the best songs on the album and Disposessession and Sweet Nurse are also excellent songs.
The whole album is great of course but those songs stick out the most to me.

I Transpire and Tonight's Music are the best, I think. I also REALLY like Chrome, Future of Speech, and Dispossession. I really don't get all the Sweet Nurse worship around here, and teargas has one of the dumbest chorus lyrics ever "teargas in my eye?!" WTF! That's my favorite album of theirs thus far, though (Viva Emptiness was REALLY close, if the new one refines that style a bit more it might become my new favorite).

wankerness said:
teargas has one of the dumbest chorus lyrics ever "teargas in my eye?!" WTF!
out of curiousity, could you explain please how that is considered stupid by yourself? :)

thanks

Verwuestung said:
out of curiousity, could you explain please how that is considered stupid by yourself? :)

thanks

Well, if you're going to write a song about something that makes you cry, generally you opt for a deeper metaphor than this thing being "teargas," much less saying "TEARGAS IN MY EYE," thus hammering the already overly simplistic metaphor into something even more blunt and obvious. Also "TEARGAS" is just not a particularly good term to use in a depressed song, seeing as how it's something used by the cops to smoke out bad guys and thus isn't even remotely poetic sounding. It's just dumb and there are few metaphors for things that cause tears that are lamer than that.

This problem is amplified by the fact that some of the other lyrics are actually really good, especially "Tonight's Music." :p

Hell yeah...good song, but not the standout piece at all for me. That'd go to tracks such as Teargas, Sweet Nurse, Disposition, Future of Speech or Passing Bird. Tonight's Music is somewhere around the middle for me, I'll never understand why it is so liked by many. It's probably my 6th fave off the album. Chrome is great as well.

i don't really like this song. it's one of the weaker tracks on LFDGD like Passing Bird, Don't Tell A Soul, Chrome or Clean Today which makes LFDGD the weakest Kata album for me (and it's still good, just the least good...)

wankerness said:
Well, if you're going to write a song about something that makes you cry, generally you opt for a deeper metaphor than this thing being "teargas," much less saying "TEARGAS IN MY EYE," thus hammering the already overly simplistic metaphor into something even more blunt and obvious. Also "TEARGAS" is just not a particularly good term to use in a depressed song, seeing as how it's something used by the cops to smoke out bad guys and thus isn't even remotely poetic sounding. It's just dumb and there are few metaphors for things that cause tears that are lamer than that.

This problem is amplified by the fact that some of the other lyrics are actually really good, especially "Tonight's Music." :p

IMO, Teargas is a mellow song with morbid lyrics - sometimes I even find this combination humorous - but not sad. For all I know, "teargas in my eye" could mean he goes blind or its painful to watch. Or maybe even an eye is to him as a lemon is to Robert Plant?? :D I like the idea the lyrics could be abstract and how you interpret them.

.....I just read the lyrics, IMO, it looks like Teargas is about a guy being ditched by his girlfriend. The words say more about nastiness than sadness...

"Who paid you for telling me what Im worth?" might suggest she is as ruthless as an assasin the way she talks to him. "Is this the time I should be on my knees for you? Is this your way of telling another has been found?" This seems to be the moment it dawns on him why shes being such a b####!

But sadness? If you can empathise with him .....I suppose sadness in this song is in the eye of the beholder.

Theyre simple lyrics but they require that you read between the lines which is quite is quite clever and helps the music itself to stand out.

Anyone want to comment?

I transpire - The intro riff sends me on a high - the whole song is like a journey - an incredible song. The best in LFDGD? On my first listen, it was We Must Bury You. But since then, it has been probably I Transpire and Tonights Music. Sweet Nurse and Sulfur are great too but the amazing thing about this album is nearly all the tracks are stand out, even the bonus tracks are bloody good.