I tried recording today, ITS HARD :O!

amd123

Aug 18, 2009
Im a newbie guitarist, been playing for about a year and a half now.
I know theory like the back of my hand but my technical skills are weak and I like metal :p

I'm finally recording and its a PITA, trying to get all the things to sync up correctly, hell today I recorded a 5 second riff and it had 40 takes >__<.

I write music that's too hard/fast for me to play so I have to cut the tempo in half and play and double the tempo...is that cheating? :lol:

Any tips on recording? That a newbie could benefit from?

Yea about that, I tried learning songs by guitar pro, but alot of bands I listen to are not tabbed out so i had to learn to play by ear (I got frustrated and gave up) so here I am now.

Do you guys play by ear? Or do you guys just play tabs?

I think people here learn songs with a combination of both.

I would recommend trying to write your own material that is comfortable to play and then record it.

I think people here learn songs with a combination of both.

I would recommend trying to write your own material that is comfortable to play and then record it.

So if you don't mind me asking, how many songs do you know how to play?

If you include my own songs, probably like 250 or something. I don't really count things like that.

What band's songs are you trying to learn?

If you include my own songs, probably like 250 or something. I don't really count things like that.

What band's songs are you trying to learn?

Conducting From The Grave, Winds of Plague, In Flames, Arsis, Between The Buried and Me, The Faceless, Cryptopsy, Born of Osiris, Decapitated, In Mourning, Insomnium, Be'lakor, Opeth, etc I'm trying to write music in this style.

Alot of the songs are way past my technical ability.

Also one thing, I've been reading the GP tabs for alot of the BTBAM songs and they're are various riffs, but the "filler" riffs...do these guys come up with them by writing random notes or do they actually sit down and come up with those by playing?

I mean when I play it doesn't sound so random/out of the box/unfamiliar/wierd...Like it seems unnatural for me to play stuff like that.

For example, I'll pickup a guitar and create some kind of pedal tone riff in like 10 seconds, but ask to me to play some of the filler riffs that BTBAM uses and I won't have a clue.

BTBAM is an interesting band. I'm sure there is some rhyme and reason to a band writing a riff the way they do.

You're not going to be able to play fast alternate picking/on and off palm muting the first year or so of your playing unless you really practice an incredible amount or are a virtuoso.

Opeth songs aren't THAT hard. Try learning Demon of the Fall. If you can't do it, keep trying 'till you do. That's what dedication is about.

yeah its all practice. after you play guitar for so long you know the guitar fretboard like your abc's. when it comes to riffs like that or fills you just learn how to play something in the same key so it all fits. i personally learned a few scales like diminished and the more common ones for metal/deathcore/melodic death metal w.e but learned what notes fit and which dont by memory of just playing up the fretboard figuring out which ones are in key and which arent that way when your just playing random shit you know exactly what to play to stay in the same key. i also started out learning by tabs but then started learning alot by ear. which helps alot because like now i can think of a riff in my idea and practically play it right away. but yeah dood its all practice. look at jeff loomis for example he sat in his room for hours just playing guitar and at age 16 he was a god.

It's kind of hard to offer any kind of actual recording advice when the entire subject matter of your post was basically just a disclosure that you're trying to perform/record material that's far beyond your skill level.... What's the point of doing that?

a833bmia1.gif

Conducting From The Grave, Winds of Plague, In Flames, Arsis, Between The Buried and Me, The Faceless, Cryptopsy, Born of Osiris, Decapitated, In Mourning, Insomnium, Be'lakor, Opeth, etc I'm trying to write music in this style.

Alot of the songs are way past my technical ability.

Also one thing, I've been reading the GP tabs for alot of the BTBAM songs and they're are various riffs, but the "filler" riffs...do these guys come up with them by writing random notes or do they actually sit down and come up with those by playing?

I mean when I play it doesn't sound so random/out of the box/unfamiliar/wierd...Like it seems unnatural for me to play stuff like that.

For example, I'll pickup a guitar and create some kind of pedal tone riff in like 10 seconds, but ask to me to play some of the filler riffs that BTBAM uses and I won't have a clue.

Those are some pretty technical bands! I've only been playing for about 2 years now and I still can't play shit :D Editing could help you, or recording your songs riff by riff, note by note if you have to. Do you have any recordings you could post? This could help give more advice :)

Those are some pretty technical bands! I've only been playing for about 2 years now and I still can't play shit :D

Make that 5 years, and I still can't play shit. But for real, don't run until you can walk. Start with easy music and master that. Like Sepultura or Korn. When you can play that shit near flawlessly, move on to something still relatively easy but just a tad harder. Like Metallica, Deep Purple or AC/DC. And when you can play that shit near flawlessly, then something a bit harder like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. After that it doesn't get much harder playing wise from the bands you described, it just gets faster. Then try something like Slayer, Killswitch Engage or In Flames. Reserve atleast 2-3 years.

I still train everyday even these really easy picking exercises on the lowest string just to warm up, to develop stamina and rhythm, and to keep the picking hand slowly developing

I would really start learning stuff that is not so technically challenging.

Good places to start are

Slayer
Megadeth
old Metallica
Anthrax

Those guys were the king of downpicking and rhythmical complexity back in the day. From there move onto things like Fear Factory and Meshuggah to really push your right hand. From there move into the stuff you were talking about earlier.

You need to learn to walk before you run. A shit ton of the students I teach come in with all this technically challenging music and they barely have the right hand to pull of an Iron Maiden tune ..lol

In addition get a metronome and play with it furiously sub-dividing the beat in every way possible. 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, then all the dotted versions of them. Learn to count and learn Time Signatures.

All the theory in the world doesn't do anything if you lack the technique to play what you hear in your head. Technique takes TONS of practice. Its a cunt to stay disciplined enough to do it, but in the end its worth it.

Start with easy music and master that. Like Sepultura or Korn. When you can play that shit near flawlessly, move on to something still relatively easy but just a tad harder. Like Metallica, Deep Purple or AC/DC. And when you can play that shit near flawlessly, then something a bit harder like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. After that it doesn't get much harder playing wise from the bands you described, it just gets faster. Then try something like Slayer, Killswitch Engage or In Flames. Reserve atleast 2-3 years.

:lol: You're fuckin killing me here!