I want to introduce you to my new favorite bass player...!

HippieOfDoom

The 13th Monkey
Feb 12, 2002
Golden State
www.stevedigiorgio.com
Holy crap...go to:
www.jeroenthesseling.com
Click on 'audio' and listen to either the world music style flamenco group "Ensemble Salazhar" with beautiful bass melodies...
Or listen to the death metal band "Obscura" where there is fretless mastery going on in a brutal context. Really great stuff. I know everyone here will add him to the ranks of the best of the best.

Nothing inspires me more than; in reverse order...good music, good musicianship, good bass playing.

Very refreshing, indeed.

And to those who knew of him already, or suggested him in one of our many lists...my bad!
SDG

And to those who knew of him already, or suggested him in one of our many lists...my bad!

Nothing wrong with listing a new discovery - I'm sure not everyone here has heard of him. I had, from his Pestilence days on, and yes, he's one hell of a player. All things considered, though, Doug Keyser still tops my list, not in the last place because of his writing/arranging skills (exactly the three characteristics you listed, really, even if he hasn't done enough with his enormous talent) - and only just before Your Steveness, of course :worship:

WOW!

It's my new favourite bass player too now. His Warwicks have a fantastic tone (or maybe it's all EQed).

He plays with such a great taste. He really knows where to show off a little and when not to.

Oh man, I have got to get that album!

He's been one of my favorites at least for a couple of months now. I don't think it wouldn't be a stretch to call him the most under-appreciated bassist in metal right now.

I don't think it wouldn't be a stretch to call him the most under-appreciated bassist in metal right now.

BE you're right. As far as i know Jeroen hasn't been active in metal since Pestilence broke up in 1994. Personally i think his fretless bass playing in Obscura is very unique and does make more sense than his contribution on Spheres.

Btw, did you visit his MySpace page? Nice instruments.. www.myspace.com/jeroenthesseling.

yea..i didnt like spheres too much but im really looking forward to hearing this.id really like to hear the introduction of his microtonal basslines in DM.