I was thinking of making a cover of Inearthed...

Stoggaf

Nobody
Apr 30, 2011
Finland
Yeah, so I was thinking of making cover of Talking of the trees (not only a video of me playing guitar, but a whole song with 2 guitars, vocals and other stuff), and I was thinking of would it be legal? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the band, or at least Laiho and Raatikainen, owns all the copyrights for Inearthed stuff (unlike the Bodom stuff). Am I right? I also did read from somewhere in this forum, that Laiho said in some interview (some kind of source could be nice), that it's ok to share Inearthed demos on the internet, so I'm just wondering, that would it be ok to make a cover of the song?

I also found out that there's Janne Warman account on the forum... is he the real Janne? If he is, I could ask from him :D

But yeah, some comments please. Do Laiho and Raatikainen own the Inearthed songs (as far as I know, they published them by themselves), and does anyone have the actual interview where Laiho said it's ok, and is Janne real :D

And forgive me if my english sucks.. not my main language.

Man, to be honest: This is probably the dumbest question I've heard for a long time. You can answer yourself when you take a look at Youtube.
Yes, it's the real Janne.

Uhm, well thanks for answer.

But, I think I didn't type the question well enough :D I mean it's NOT legal to make cover of Children of Bodom song. Expect if Spinefarm records gives you permission to do that. Now I don't want to break the law, so I was thinking of that Inearthed songs belond to boys themselves, and if they think it's ok.. then it's legal.

But what you mean by looking at Youtube? Interview? Yeah.. fuck me, never tried :D

I think it's legal when you type the artist name and "cover" on the title. Why should demos be any less legal to cover than albums distributed by a label.

I think it's legal when you type the artist name and "cover" on the title. Why should demos be any less legal to cover than albums distributed by a label.

Nope, that does NOT make it legal, at least here in Finland :p Because not only the music is copyrighted, but also lyrics and the... notes.. you know, sävellys :D So it really is not legal. And demos are not less legal but unlike the albums, Alexi Laiho and Raatikainen do own all copyright for demos, so if they say it's ok then it's legal. They can't give you permission to do covers of Bodom stuff.

You can cover whatever you want without asking anybody! I have like 40 covers on my channel and I haven't even wrote the word "cover" behind any song. If you want to make a cover, just fucking do it ffs!

Yeah I know.. I know.. No one really gives a shit, but that doesn't make it legal anyways.. I might just do that and yeah.. but I'd like to not break the law as I'm going to put my own songs also and don't want any harm and yeah :D

And yeah.. couldn't get the real word... but I mean the song is also copyrighted, melodies, riffs and shit.

Yeah you can make a cover of whatever the fuck you want. If you start to sell your cover then that's a different story.

Hm, could it be so? I've always though it's like you can play live any cover you want, but to record and publish one, you need the permission.

Yeah I guess it's all legal as long as you don't record and publish material that's clearly stolen.. like that German rap guy.. Even famous bands steal riffs from here and there but when it's a little different it's not illegal.. Or maybe nobody gives a fuck when COB turn someone else's riff into something much better, but I bet if some wannabe COB band stole their melodies they'd be anal-impaled pretty soon.

Yeah.. you know Iron Maiden's 2 Minutes to Midnight is totally stolen form some neverheard band :D

But yeah, I wasn't planning to steal anything, just make a cover. And just because many people put covers without permission, it doesn't mean that it's legal. But... maybe I should spam Janne's inbox and ask himself :D

It isn't up to Janne to tell you if you have the right or not. A lawyer would tell you that but Janne...? I don't think he knows that much the finish law as far as the artists' work is concerned. I mean, you need to have a solid answer and I doubt Janne can quote articles and case laws for example.

You think too much, if you want to do a cover, do it ;)
Plus, YouTube is lacking some good Inearthed covers.

Yeah, Janne may not know the law too well, but if the song owners, wich is boys in Bodom, say it's ok, then it's ok, and Janne belongs to bodom. Though I'm not 100% sure can he say anything because he wasn't in the band back then..

Yeah, maybe I think too much... But I'd like to avoid breaking the law :D Well, in Youtube the worst that can happen is song getting removed, but anyways. Maybe I should just do it :)

God damnit... "yeah yeah yeah yeah" :D

I wish I could give forehead snaps through my monitor... Dude, have you ever thought about that your local cover bands in your beer tents or wherever they play have like 50 new and older chart songs in their repertoir? Do you really think they ask ANY of the artists if they can play their songs?!? Stop being so naive ,take off your pampers and plz start thinking before you post another stupid comment!

Yeah you can make a cover of whatever the fuck you want. If you start to sell your cover then that's a different story.

This.

That's what I learnt from me prof in University.

Enpä olekaan.

And to you guys who said that it's legal... well, here in Finland it's not legal... MAYBE. I think I just do a little research, and then spam Janne's mailbox :D

I can imagine that Alexi, who is a computer nerd actually, looks at YouTube for an Inearthed cover and beats the shit out of you...Or nothing will happen.

What's not legal? You can make cover of whatever the fuck you like man. You think you're gonna get your ass sued, because you covered some songs? Use your brain. There are shitloads of covers on youtube, even of some bands that are no longer existing.