I was thinking of tracking this way, do u?

jman1986

Sep 24, 2009
since POD is pretty common here, i was thinking of just recording direct in with podfarm all the time (with gtr and bass) and then reamping after.

do u do this? would this even b a good idea, and would the di track that was recorded with pod sound different then if it was recorded right off of a real amp the first time?

if that last part makes any sense...haha

I do this. the editing is infinitely easier this way.

however, at least half the time we decide podfarm sounds so good that we just run with it.

I've tracked like this. If they've got time then this is my preferred method. Get a workable tone with free amp sims that they can play with and we monitor the Di's with that. Then re-amp later spending what time we need to on getting a nice tone. It's great for comfortable tracking and getting consistent sounds if it's been tracked over a period where other bands might be coming in on their off days.
If the band is short on time then I'll take Di's but take their amp tracks at the same time and only use the DI's if we're not happy with the tone.

Used to all the time until I got my profire 2626.. I don't really hear a difference in my DI's either.

the only thing that keeps me away from doing it is:
1.short time
2.I have the feeling amps react different while reamping compared to direct guitar plugged in. Dont know why...

Yeah I always do this just so we don't have to have the amp blaring in the other room the whole time we are tracking. If I was in a dedicated facility with better isolation and not in my basement studio in a house I share with a couple roommates, I would probably track through the amp though. Reamping is annoying.

@gab, that is what i am trying to say at the end of my post, it does seem different for me to when i do that.

@adam i have that same problem now, in my basement with not so good isolation, at least with using the ampsim i have more control over volume, and control over the gtr player that keeps playing or messes around while i am setting up the next part that needs to be tracked. i love the fact that i can just "turn them off" any time i want haha. but the reamping does seem kinda boring. but i do like that i wouldn't have the pressure of the band sitting around and waiting to get a tone. when i am by myself i like to really take a while getting it to sound good. and i feel more focused.

I always do this, the only difference is that I run back into a real amp via my interface.

My interface re-routes my DI signal back to the amp while I am playing live with zero latency.

Now i can go get everything else sounding great and tailor my guitar tone to the mix in front of me and not vice versa :)

@guitarguru ur interface has a reamp device already in it? how does that work? what interface do u have, i have a delta 1010 pci.

i did this for a long time... but i noticed that some guitarist feel less "optimized" when recording di esp. if they have never really recorded there music "in the studio".

the last thing i want is to be responsible for a musician to feel less confident while he/she is paying me to capture the moment.

for me: it's all about serving the goal of the music and (in my experience) music is best served with lifted egos. :)

however i will occasionally track with ampsims if we are recording friends who are comfortable with it.

@guitarguru ur interface has a reamp device already in it? how does that work? what interface do u have, i have a delta 1010 pci.

Its not a built in re-amp box per say, but I did a lot of testing with a Radial reamp box and running direct form the output of my Interface to the Amp. I personally like the sound of my interface directly to the amp vs the remap box first. The Radial just seemed to dull the sound a bit for me.

Its a Saffire Pro 40

if u go from ur interface out into the amp without an reamp box, don't u get hummz buzzes and bad signal noises?

No,

The main thing i concentrated on in my studio was grounding so i have HUM-x units all over the studio, adn had an electrician come in and make sure everything was grounded properly. As for your other question all the cables are unbalanced.

i always do this, but i find that the most important things about the tone i'm getting with the hands, kind'a dissappears when reamping with different settings :( so i try to stay close as i can to my "final" tone

I used to do this for similar reasons as mentioned above, but I've found (in my experiences at least) some guitarists "respond" differently when there's an organic tone coming from their fingers. They pick certain ways to get a certain sound and when you reamp with another tone/mic/cab/whatever, you sometimes lose that vibe, emphasis or feeling they're trying to create.

The guitar parts also feel better and guitarists sometimes play better and give it their best because they feel that it's THE FINAL TAKE and not a "they can edit it if I make a mistake" (more psychological than anything).

This also helps me dial in a tone before hand to improve my understanding of real time relationships of tone between instruments (this part could also just be in my head lol).
I do record the DI's though if I need to do any editing (which is always the case) but re amp with a similar if not the same tone.

Why not just record DIs while micing up the amps as well? Then you have your DI if needed and you'll be getting playing that aligns with the response of the amp. I've tried the DI into POD/vst guitars etc and hated it. Talk about feeling uninspired.

Why not just record DIs while micing up the amps as well? Then you have your DI if needed and you'll be getting playing that aligns with the response of the amp. I've tried the DI into POD/vst guitars etc and hated it. Talk about feeling uninspired.

This is exactly how I do it and exactly how I feel about tracking with a POD or other amp emulator.

I can't do it.