I wish I had been my teacher

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Tonight in class I gave my students a copy each of the lyrics to Wasted Years, with one word in each line blanked out. They had to listen to the song to fill in the blanks. Maiden in class......I'd been wanting to do that for ages! :)

I was in an English class once where someone asked who wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I said Steve Harris, but no-one believed me. Peasants!

Also, when I did Japanese in Yrs 8-11, we used to have these listening comprehension exercises on audiotape. Guess who switched the tape for Powerslave while the teacher was out of the room? ;)

W

That's VERY cool Winmar.

When i was in year 10 at high school, i remember being in English class, and we all had to read the lyrics of a song we liked as a poem...or something like that. One of the tough dudes, read The Number Of The Beast....and most people were like WHAT THE??? But the English teacher was this hippy-like rocker with long scraggly hair and mo, and always used to say "yeah man..." and he knew all the words to TNOTB and started talking to this student about Maiden and classic rocks bands and the like.....if only the principal knew what was going on! :lol:

I played Dark Tranquility- Punish My Heaven for an English assignment on Poetic Lyrics.

That fucked the class around big time, they were trying to read along to a dude a growling, it was fun to watch.

Haha yeah next time it'll be Alexander the Great, or a spot of death metal. If I give them the lyrics to Misfortune by Abramelin they'll be absolutely disgusted!

Sounds like you had a cool teacher there, Steel!

I once wrote a short story based on Hallowed Be thy Name (included the lyrics too (with credit to Steve;)) and got a B :)

Oh, also did a pop song study once, comparing the different ways that Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne approached nuclear war (in "2 Minutes To Midnight" and "Killer Of Giants" (I think), which involved playing both songs from a tape in front of the class, with all of them reading along to the lyrics :headbang:

We had a thing in 7th grade where someone would bring in a song everyday to school and it would get played, I played a Belinda Carlisle song from the album Runaway Horses.

Im so damn metal.