I wonder what the latest news is?

fonzbear2000

Jan 10, 2008
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
I haven't seen anything new for quite some time now. I wonder what the latest on Jesper is. Surely by now, if he hasn't had anything to drink, he must be over his alcoholism. It sure would be nice to get an update.

I haven't seen anything new for quite some time now. I wonder what the latest on Jesper is. Surely by now, if he hasn't had anything to drink, he must be over his alcoholism. It sure would be nice to get an update.

Alcoholism isn't ever from your system, its an urge you have to fight the rest of your life. Temptation is a bitch, especially with substance.

Not to mention, from what I understand, there were other issues than JUST this, of why Jesper stepped away.

That's very true. It would still be nice to get an update of what is currently going on though.
Well yeah I was thinking about this lately as well. I know in September 2009 while on a break from IF then, he announced that he and Roland Johansson (ex-Sonic Syndicate singer) had a project and would record their album EARLY 2010. That means it definitely should already have been out by now. There has been no news whatsoever about this album, but it has undoubtedly been delayed/cancelled. Jespers last statement was from Feb 12th 2010 when he quit In Flames:
"I'm far from done with music, metal, or whatever my direction is taking me, so be sure to hear from me in the future." So I have no idea..
In Flames related news that should come pretty soon is what the permanent replacement of Jesper will be, if there will be one. I read on IF's twitter today, and someone had asked them who'd be the replacement, they replied ''When we will announce it, you will know''. So it seems they at least have one? I can't imagine it being anyone else than Niklas Engelin though..

Well yeah I was thinking about this lately as well. I know in September 2009 while on a break from IF then, he announced that he and Roland Johansson (ex-Sonic Syndicate singer) had a project and would record their album EARLY 2010. That means it definitely should already have been out by now. There has been no news whatsoever about this album, but it has undoubtedly been delayed/cancelled. Jespers last statement was from Feb 12th 2010 when he quit In Flames:
"I'm far from done with music, metal, or whatever my direction is taking me, so be sure to hear from me in the future." So I have no idea..
In Flames related news that should come pretty soon is what the permanent replacement of Jesper will be, if there will be one. I read on IF's twitter today, and someone had asked them who'd be the replacement, they replied ''When we will announce it, you will know''. So it seems they at least have one? I can't imagine it being anyone else than Niklas Engelin though..

When I was chatting to Mikael back when, he said it'd be a surprise if Niclas stayed as a permanent, just because of how dedicated he is to Engel.

When I was chatting to Mikael back when, he said it'd be a surprise if Niclas stayed as a permanent, just because of how dedicated he is to Engel.
That's interesting then. But he toured with IF for one year though. I don't think he can manage to tour/write albums with Engel while being in IF aswell =/ But it makes it all more interesting if they got another guitar player in mind, or if Jesper will return? Don't think he will right now..but after all he has been working on his alcohol problems since Feb 2009. What if he's secretly have been writing stuff for IF in his time off? Nah..to much speculating :p

Love this guys' covers, though some random French (?) dude seems completely out of the question.

That's interesting then. But he toured with IF for one year though. I don't think he can manage to tour/write albums with Engel while being in IF aswell =/ But it makes it all more interesting if they got another guitar player in mind, or if Jesper will return? Don't think he will right now..but after all he has been working on his alcohol problems since Feb 2009. What if he's secretly have been writing stuff for IF in his time off? Nah..to much speculating :p

I think our problem is, who the hell else could they possibly get that isn't in another band already? It would almost have to be someone completely random...

Love this guys' covers, though some random French (?) dude seems completely out of the question.

I think our problem is, who the hell else could they possibly get that isn't in another band already? It would almost have to be someone completely random...
The Schehf guy is German :p And I as well don't think IF would take in someone random after this many years. It must be someone they know well. Either Niklas, an unexpected return of Jesper, or they remain as a four-piece band and have a live session player.

I think what interests me most, is if they do get someone, how it will effect the writing process. If it does end up being Engelin, I wonder if it will have more of that Groove feeling that hes known for?

I think what interests me most, is if they do get someone, how it will effect the writing process. If it does end up being Engelin, I wonder if it will have more of that Groove feeling that hes known for?
Well, of my experience, when bands get new guitar players, the style don't change that much, they often adapt to the bands sound. But there is also guitarists that brings their own style :p

Well, it will for sure sound like IF. And if you like IF's music, you should like the forthcoming album :)

I don't want them to "go back" so to speak, I just want more complexity in the songs. Their albums I love first spin, then they lose steam on me onward. Albums like Dark Tranquillity or Borknagar and such, take me a few spins to get into and they continue to grow from there.