"I Worship Chaos" Discussion Thread

Children Of Bodom's "I Worship Chaos" - Alexi Laiho's Five Favorite Licks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNIEaDwCoA

Lick 1: I Worship Chaos intro.
Lick 2: Morrigan intro.
Lick 3: Morrigan pre-chorus.
Lick 4: Horns c-section. "Old-school death metal riff".
Lick 5: All for nothing chorus.

Pretty awful sounding, as we are used to with guitar world and Alexi's sloppy playing in these things.

I mean his sloppy playing is excusable with his many many injuries. But what makes me really sad is the songwriting.
That has nothing to do with his injuries.

I also don't get his point with his attention seeking problem in the US Metal. I mean, serious, the US Metal is nowadays
the most boring and lacking of creativity extreme music on planet earth.

Good video. You learn to appreciate the stuff even more when you get to see him play like this. I wish he'd played the chorus for Morrigan, that's the great part, not so much the pre-chorus.

Wasn't so sloppy, he seemed a little nervous and not very used to the material thats all. But the sound is awefull. Too distorted and too sharp, mostly from the shitty pickup..... This are all riffs...no melodic parts at all really.... Hate this era of Bodom...

That's the thing. This isn't all riffs like Slayer's Repentless. People think of melody as high pitched stuff. He's doing riffs and throwing in melodies but it's all lower pitched.

Love this sound, the problem is more the lower tuning which makes it a bit muddled.

Only one of those riffs is good, to being with. There are better ones such as the I Hurt verse, and maybe some melodies more interesting, but man, the Horns thing and All for Nothing, drivel.

Both Horns and All For Nothing look like a fucking nightmare, and to be honest, compared to his old Guitar World videos, that's even tight.

Looking at it got me thinking about the time he did the cover with Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde, when he had his arm broken. It kinda seems he's never gotten fully back to his previous level after the injury. He still kills it in the studio, but the sharpness on videos he exhibited before is sort of gone.

Both Horns and All For Nothing look like a fucking nightmare, and to be honest, compared to his old Guitar World videos, that's even tight.

Looking at it got me thinking about the time he did the cover with Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde, when he had his arm broken. It kinda seems he's never gotten fully back to his previous level after the injury. He still kills it in the studio, but the sharpness on videos he exhibited before is sort of gone.

Which arm did he break?

I figured it would be the left arm. His right arm plays well, looks 100%. But these songs aren't easy to play on top of that while singing.

I'm pretty damn sure that this is his RIGHT ARM!

tvsizp4o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The image could be mirrored though.

Uhm...no. Just take a look at his tattoos ;)

Just watched that video again. I think his playing isn't sloppy at all in that one (his playing in the last YG Magazine Video was way worse) and the tone is ok (aso much better than the tone in that "how to play different HOB song parts" video).
His song writing is so different compared to the older times.. Of course, most of you would say his writing is worse than 10 years ago.. I would agree with it, speaking of leads and melodies, but I definitely like his weird riffing stuff more (except IWC of course which sucks). The horns thing, all for nothing riff and even the riffs in Morrigan are awesome. Especially all for nothing. I'm a big fan of that string skipping stuff and I like his rythm changes during one riff

I wasn't arguing that he broke his other arm. I didn't know actually which one it was. If the accidents had anything to do with sloppiness I would have guessed it was the left one based on the video where his right arm movements are on target.

I see some resemblance in the structure of these songs with HOB songs for instance and some earlier ones as well. He does this often where repeats a pattern but changes one or two subtle notes are adds some more, which I find exacerbating when I try to play his stuff.

Those riffs are pretty cool IMO, Morrigan and All for Nothing were my favorite in terms of how cool they looked to play. Anyone else feel like those triplets he was talking about in Horns kinda fuck everything up?