Iam My Own God/God Walking Earth

Detric

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Stralia`!
I just wanna know the meaning of this shirt? Cause Iam planning to order it. I like it alot, but why does it say, Iam My Own God, and God Walking Earth on the back? Is Evergrey anti religious? I know many fans have asked that question 100 times now. But I have never found out...They dont believe in anything right? Anyways...Hope you guys will help me out. Thanks.

evg103c.jpg

evg103b.jpg

I think it has to do with The Inner Circle.
I think they aren't against religion, just that you believe in yourself, being you own God (I Am my own God)
(And that's very important to me)

It's Autotheism not Atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power (God), and Autotheism is the belief that you are your own God, which is also part of Satanism (Which is not actually worship of the devil).

I really like the meaning. It is so true, in my mind...

By the way, I once saw a shirt like that on E-bay (don't ask what I was doing there... :err: ) And it had the 'God walking earth' text on the center in the back. Would it be possible to get any of those? Since, err... I'd really want to this that shirt, but even if I order the smallest size M, I have to shorten and probably modify it a little bit, unless I want to go camping... ;)

The phrase actually originated from the album (That "God walking Earth (ambassador, track 02))

And Tom added in "I am my own god" in the little insert thing in the special ed. version that talked about the making of the album.

i bought that shirt in houston may 8th when they were on tour with Iced Earth. I wear that shirt freakin all the time. And yeah you will get some stares for the shirt. I still go to high school at the moment so the guys there give me shit. I hate having to explain like 20 times to strangers in one day. But i wont let those assholes stop me from wearing a kick ass shirt. I thought the same thing with my megadeth and lamb of god shirts. Basically, i just keep saying that they are saying that people shouldnt be brain washed by preachers speaking things that no one really knows the answer to. So you need to believe what is right and be your own god cause god cant tell you. Thats what i get out of it and the song.

Katalepsy said:
It's Autotheism not Atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power (God), and Autotheism is the belief that you are your own God, which is also part of Satanism (Which is not actually worship of the devil).

Satanists believe in Satan, which is a Christian belief, and in order for there to be Satan, there must be God. If they believed that they were their own gods, then why would they be called Satanists, since Satan is the opposing force to the christian God? If they were their own Gods, that would make him against them.

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something about Satanism just being a rebellion against Christianity. As you said, it's not worship of the devil, but I really don't think that Autotheism has anything to do with it (but I'm far from an expert on Satanism ;) )

Liquid Shadow said:
Satanists believe in Satan, which is a Christian belief, and in order for there to be Satan, there must be God. If they believed that they were their own gods, then why would they be called Satanists, since Satan is the opposing force to the christian God? If they were their own Gods, that would make him against them.

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something about Satanism just being a rebellion against Christianity. As you said, it's not worship of the devil, but I really don't think that Autotheism has anything to do with it (but I'm far from an expert on Satanism ;) )
Hmm, I red about it, and i think that you are confunsing satanics with satan worshippers. however i can't exactly point out the differences, so if someone cans then be my guest :)

Liquid Shadow said:
Satanists believe in Satan, which is a Christian belief, and in order for there to be Satan, there must be God. If they believed that they were their own gods, then why would they be called Satanists, since Satan is the opposing force to the christian God?
No they don't. Anton Lavey who created the church of satan wanted to cause some commotion hence the name. From what I've heard it has nothing to do with the christian Satan at all.

Strahd said:
No they don't. Anton Lavey who created the church of satan wanted to cause some commotion hence the name. From what I've heard it has nothing to do with the christian Satan at all.
Exactly.

LaVey's writings and theories are quite close to those of Frederich Neitzche, IMO, actually. There is nothing about rubbing goat's blood all over yourself or wearing corpsepaint! LOL!

There are tenets in the religion/philosophy that run purposefully (IMO)contraindicative to Christianity; like do not turn the other cheek, but fuck them back worse if they fuck you. (I think this is very much in keeping with the shock value properties, such as the name, as Strahd pointed out.)

However, the most important divergence from Christianity is that it does not advocate the worship of anyone other than oneself. Closer to the concept of being one's own God, I think, yet I would not call Evergrey Satanists or LaVey followers by any means. That concept is NOT exclusive to LaVey and he was certainly not the first one to state any version of that belief.

To me, the irony of LaVey's orgnization was always just that it *was* an orginization... It could subvert, parody, re-create and what have you, yet it is still a *church*. I respected him as a man of conviction and vision, but to me, being a joiner is a total contradiction to what he wrote.

Just my feelings on the matter, share them...or not, just have your own, that is the point. ;)

LoboUivante said:
Satanists may come in various forms. Christians view all other religions and non believers as Satanists, since that if they don't believe in their god, they must believe in Satan obligatorily.

As a Christian (Catholic to be specific) myself, I would like to tell you what a moron you are.

True Christian beliefs say that you can find God in many ways, including through other religions. I remember in confirmation classes, one of my teachers and her daughter, who was a student in the class, tried to tell me and a friend that the Catholic faith states that anyone who isn't Catholic goes to hell. I argued with them about it for the entire class, and apparently somebody told the administration of the church about it, because she was no longer the teacher the week after that, and the lady who organizes the program came in to talk to all the classes in a big meeting to adress that specific subject. Catholisism as well as other Christian religions believe that anybody who is trying to find God can do so, no matter what their specific customs of going about that may be. Christians believe that you can find God whether you are Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish, Buhdist, or whatever you may be.

Non believers are not considered Satanists either. As a matter of fact, there is a specific prayer that this lady told us about that is said at one specific mass every year where we pray for everybody who is searching for God in any way, as well as those who are atheist. They are no less human than the rest of us, and are no worse sinners than people who go to mass every Sunday. They do not worship Satan because they don't believe in God, because Satan is a Christian belief. God is good, Satan is evil. If you believe in one, that implies that you believe in the other. Atheists do not believe in a higher power of any sort. They do not believe in a God, and they do not believe in a Satan, so how would they worship the latter?

I'm not a real crazy into religion, but I was raised Catholic since day 1, so I know how things work with that, and you are most certainly talking out of your ass. Cut it out.

Liquid Shadow said:
As a Christian (Catholic to be specific) myself, I would like to tell you what a moron you are.

True Christian beliefs say that you can find God in many ways, including through other religions. I remember in confirmation classes, one of my teachers and her daughter, who was a student in the class, tried to tell me and a friend that the Catholic faith states that anyone who isn't Catholic goes to hell. I argued with them about it for the entire class, and apparently somebody told the administration of the church about it, because she was no longer the teacher the week after that, and the lady who organizes the program came in to talk to all the classes in a big meeting to adress that specific subject. Catholisism as well as other Christian religions believe that anybody who is trying to find God can do so, no matter what their specific customs of going about that may be. Christians believe that you can find God whether you are Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish, Buhdist, or whatever you may be.

Non believers are not considered Satanists either. As a matter of fact, there is a specific prayer that this lady told us about that is said at one specific mass every year where we pray for everybody who is searching for God in any way, as well as those who are atheist. They are no less human than the rest of us, and are no worse sinners than people who go to mass every Sunday. They do not worship Satan because they don't believe in God, because Satan is a Christian belief. God is good, Satan is evil. If you believe in one, that implies that you believe in the other. Atheists do not believe in a higher power of any sort. They do not believe in a God, and they do not believe in a Satan, so how would they worship the latter?

I'm not a real crazy into religion, but I was raised Catholic since day 1, so I know how things work with that, and you are most certainly talking out of your ass. Cut it out.
Yeah, tell that to the Inquisition:Smug: .

ps: raised catholic as well...