God connection

People have wondered if DMT (a hallucinogen that is made in your brain which makes you dream) actually makes you see things you don't see before. Sort of like the Indian third eye thing. I think the part of the brain that makes it is right where they thought the third eye was.

Another challenge I have to christianity is if God showed his power to anyone who asked then why doesn't he do it now? In one story two people were testing to see whose God was real. They laid sacrificial bulls on altars and the first guys called their God to burn the bull but it didn't happen. The second guy called God and he burned it.

I used to wonder that if christianity, islam, and judaism are so good then why is it that God chose them and let it get out of hand?

I think the reason it happened in the middle east is because there is desert. When you are without food for a long time you start hallucinating. And people in the desert don't always have food and water for a long time. In fact Muhammad barely ate when he saw God. The Aztecs as well as native americans in the deserts have seen Gods and spirits and such.

i don't know about the middle east, but in the american hemisphere, halucinogenic desert plants are all over the fucking place in all of the desert areas

this "moses" person holding a conversation with a talking burning bush...sounds like a peyote trip to me

It's things like these that make me lean more towards Atheism at times. The christians say the bible is true and historical. In the bible God was showing his power to everyone. When people ask for God these days and get nothing the Christian response is "you have to believe." But in the bible nonbelievers tested God and got a response.

It's things like these that make me lean more towards Atheism at times. The christians say the bible is true and historical. In the bible God was showing his power to everyone. When people ask for God these days and get nothing the Christian response is "you have to believe." But in the bible nonbelievers tested God and got a response.

I'm with you on this.

I became an atheist when I was very young and naive and I was backed into a corner and I ended up watching this Evangelical preacher on TV one sunday, and he said you can ask God into your life and He will enter. So I got down on my knees, honestly asked God to come into my life... and he didn't... as far as I'm concerned, if there is a God, he wants nothing to do with me, heheh.

I tell people that I'm 100% willing to accept whatever Invisible Pink Unicorn religion they believe in, all they have to do is give me a good reason to. How is their bunch of fables more "truthful" than the countless other established religions out there? One guy actually tried to tell me that his indisputable proof for Christianity being the true religion was some argument that happened countless civilizations ago in the early days of Abrahamic faith, where two guys asked their respective gods to prove themselves by lighting something on fire or something, and supposedly the Abrahamic god won... I'm like, sheesh, how do you know any of that even happened? How can you have faith in stories from virtually pre-historic times that are so poorly documented and could more easily be fiction than fact?

I don't think I'm better or smarter than religous people. I just think religion makes sense to them and atheism makes sense to me. I can't tolerate anyone who thinks I should believe in their crud, though. I'm more than happy to discuss it with anyone but there's no way someone could convince me to have such random faith in things I view as no different than believing in Zeus or The Lord of the Rings as historical fact. I think that's something you kind of have to be drawn into.

I am spiritual, in the sense that I can have a profound impact on my life on levels I can't comprehend. But I am not religious.

I went to a Catholic school and they told me I wasn't a child of God because I was never baptised/christened. They said the same to my brother only it really messed him up for a few years because they mentioned that he wouldn't be allowed into heaven. We used to sit down together and talk about why we weren't going to heaven and if we were really bad people.

Now I'm older, I personally feel that forcing such beliefs on young children is pretty much the same as child abuse.

Having a splash of water on your face does not define whether you are a good person or not, neither does wasting a few hours of your life every week inside a cold stone building.
And thats just fucking evil.

In the early days of Abrahamic faith, where two guys asked their respective gods to prove themselves by lighting something on fire or something, and supposedly the Abrahamic god won... I'm like, sheesh, how do you know any of that even happened? How can you have faith in stories from virtually pre-historic times that are so poorly documented and could more easily be fiction than fact?

That's the one I was talking about. Yes there are historical facts in the bible but the actual holy bible wasn't really put together until after those events even happened iirc. I sort of debated with my dad about this and I said if there was no internet, and the world was very separated I could copy my history book and throw dragons and ogres in here and there and it would be accepted. And then in the future you would have people arguing over it.

I don't think I'm better or smarter than religous people. I just think religion makes sense to them and atheism makes sense to me. I can't tolerate anyone who thinks I should believe in their crud, though. I'm more than happy to discuss it with anyone but there's no way someone could convince me to have such random faith in things I view as no different than believing in Zeus or The Lord of the Rings as historical fact. I think that's something you kind of have to be drawn into.

I think God or not some people are better off believing in God. One thing that makes it hard for me to believe in God is that stories of the supernatural are as old as mankind. Of course science has not 100% ruled out the supernatural yet. But things like rain and volcanoes were explained in supernatural ways before we knew what they really were.

As the old business guy at my school said. "If you put a car in the middle of the amazon; and the people get in the car and turn on the radio they will think it's a device to talk to God. You have the seats and a radio which gives you messages and they don't know where the messages come from so they will think God is talking to them. And if you told them it was for transportation they would think you were nuts."

Some things that may be completely obvious in one light may appear way different when you don't know what they are. And that's the way it worked for any mythology and for creation. The Hawaiians thought Pele moved across the sea and stuck her staff in the earth several times to form the Hawaiian islands. To them not knowing about plate tectonics that sounds very logical.

God is hard to believe in for me because the peoples with the strongest religions were in deserts where many of the inhabitants end up hallucinating when they wander. Like the native americans in the west with their manhood visions.

However despite these things there is a possibility of a supernatural force that acts upon our natural world. However there are an infinite number of things it could be and an infinite number of ways they could work and God is just one in an infinite number of those things.

For all we know the universe could be commanded by a giant cheese-filled lobster.

this "moses" person holding a conversation with a talking burning bush...sounds like a peyote trip to me

More like DMT. Iirc DMT gets into your brain while you're conscious if you are deprived of sleep or food. In dreams I've had where things were on fire the objects stayed normal. The gradual degrading of the object just didn't happen. And they say the bush didn't degrade or anything when it was on fire.

The problem with these stories for me is they either sound made up or like some sort of hallucination.

Well I'm not that well known but I feel there is alot to be said for simply knowing things. Personally I suppose I could call myself "Religulous" because I don't really make much sense apparently to some people when I debate religion with people. But if I were to call myself anything I'd say Gnosticism is the closest thing to religious truths as people will get. The whole concept of Gnosis is wisdom, which in method is self taught by the principle of adaptation. I found when I just decided that Gnosis is my thing from now on, I began to undergo certain changes in my life. I noticed others had apparently gone the same way, if earlier or later than I did, and startlingly their awareness of spirituality like mine began to manifest.

As I learned more of the doctrine they teach I began to find myself in the seriously most fucked up mental situations I'd ever faced. I'd battled with depression before but it seems like as I advance past one mental obstacle another one pops into place. But truth be told, I can't say I regret a thing. It's brought me to focus on being a master over myself, and instilling good habits and principles to interact with the world with.

If I were to class Gnosis I'd class it best as a Psychological therapy, from my experience. There's just those little metaphors in there that, when you think about it, translate into something more real for you to harness. For example, "In your times of doubt and sadness, love yourself, and you are with God in your sacred heart" may not look like the meaning is obvious but it really is. When taken literally, just loving yourself for a moment can really clear the mind of any sadness, or anger. It takes discipline to master, some of which I haven't used fully in my experiences, but it works. I wouldn't know how to explain it other than to say it works the same way endorphins and/or adrenaline do on the nervous system, it excites a certain positivity within yourself.

If I may actually reference something else since I'm here, I'd like to say that Karma is a real bitch. I've noticed that when I haven't stopped to use that "love thyself" technique I begin to experience a gradually longer period of negativity manifesting itself in thoughts, emotions, and words coming from me and others towards me. Just something I thought I'd mention, it's a strong belief of mine that coincidence proves logic.

So on you not being God's children...You gotta earn it. You can take it from Iced Earth on this one:

Be led to the slaughter or lead the way

As far as I'm concerned that's all people should and (Possibly) will be focusing on. It doesn't even have to represent a real slaughter, it can literally be taken to mean the slaughter within yourself. But then again, if a certain truth about us were revealed suddenly, like that quote actually will matter to people someday, how much would it change for you?