Who seriously can believe in bible?

cfh said:
I personally don't believe in god, or in satan. At this time when science has proven at least half of the bible wrong, I still keep wondering how someone could pray some fucking "god".. Well I don't judge anyone by their religion, they can believe what they want but I think it's total bullshit.

THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT 'FAITH'. Obviously since you don't believe in God nor Satan, than you wouldn't know how someone still prays to 'God'. This is such a generic question, I can't help but to come onto this thread and tell you this. Many people ask this, and yet nothing gets answered because most of whom usually don't believe in God and join in on the convo that's wasted much energy.

I don't believe in this 'God' either but the reason why people believe in the Bible is because of traditional beliefs that were handed down to them generation by generation. It's just like it's easier to learn a different language when you're younger. It's as simple as that. We're told what is cool and what is not, we're told what to believe and what not to believe - the media and the religion is why some SERIOUSLY believe in the bible.. but uhh.. well - I left all my opinion on the other thread of Why People Believe in God or whatever.

Anywho, I'm making muffins. Want one? :saint:

Go listen to Vehemence - Trinity Broadcasting.

Doll said:
I don't believe in this 'God' either but the reason why people believe in the Bible is because of traditional beliefs that were handed down to them generation by generation. It's just like it's easier to learn a different language when you're younger. It's as simple as that. We're told what is cool and what is not, we're told what to believe and what not to believe - the media and the religion is why some SERIOUSLY believe in the bible.. but uhh.. well - I left all my opinion on the other thread of Why People Believe in God or whatever.
so
i was right
Judeo-Christianity really is a cult
and
religion is the wheelchair for the crippled mind

Silver Incubus said:
Im thinking, should the new testament even be associated with the old because the old is just judism.
indeed, a point well–made. however, from a secular point of view, ‘christians’ had to argue with jews and reinterpret judaic passages to ‘prove’ jesus as the predicted messiah. this proved wholly difficult because the jewish prophecies looked forward to a time when a wholly political leader would oust the romans, etc. etc. moreover, they hadn’t expected this person to die. not simply die, but in such a horrendous way as crucifixion.

christians had to co–opt the entire jewish tanakh in order to establish jesus in context so that they could say to the jews: we believe you. and here you can see that your own bible came first, but now jesus has come and he has changed all previous laws. despite non–jewish gospels (such as luke) containing remarks from jesus that he had come not to change even a jot or tittle of the old laws — which to me (and numerous biblical scholars!) provides powerful evidence to that saying’s likely authenticity.

کوڈانشی said:
indeed, a point well–made. however, from a secular point of view, ‘christians’ had to argue with jews and reinterpret judaic passages to ‘prove’ jesus as the predicted messiah. this proved wholly difficult because the jewish prophecies looked forward to a time when a wholly political leader would oust the romans, etc. etc. moreover, they hadn’t expected this person to die. not simply die, but in such a horrendous way as crucifixion.

They were expecting a warrior or political leader, yes, not a servant. It shows that some of them were only familiar with the words and not the true meanings behind them. And there was no "re-interpretting" going on. There are so many prophecies and subtle predictions about Christ in the OT that connect it to the NT. To say both are unrelated is absolutely absurd and reeks of ignorance of the texts.

کوڈانشی said:
christians had to co–opt the entire jewish tanakh in order to establish jesus in context so that they could say to the jews: we believe you. and here you can see that your own bible came first, but now jesus has come and he has changed all previous laws. despite non–jewish gospels (such as luke) containing remarks from jesus that he had come not to change even a jot or tittle of the old laws — which to me (and numerous biblical scholars!) provides powerful evidence to that saying’s likely authenticity.

He said he didn't come to abolish the Law, but to FULFILL it. He came as an example of the Law, not to tell the Jews their beliefs were now null and void. Nothing was changed, the Jews just interpretted certain passages differently and some of them still continue to do so today.

I must say though, people are always insulting Christians and their faith, but when it comes to other religions, such as Islam, you suddenly must respect the religion and culture. I'm speaking more in a general way, but it seems over the years Christianity has become the target for this kind of "they believe in a god they must be retarded" drivel. Judging someone's faith is rather pointless. Do you think you are going to talk them out of it with your infinite knowledge and wisdom of the universe? Worry about your own spirituality or lack of it, not condemning those who have it.

It's because of what we deem appropriate nowadays. People always feel that it's okay to ridicule the majority, but when it comes to the minority, the minority can't be upset, or they'll complain and do something. For example, this is off topic, but Black people in America are always talking about blaming the white man for their poverty and misfortune, but when anyone ever talks about blaming the black man for all the crime and discord in Urban areas, there's waves and waves of backlash and reprocussion. It's the same with religions today. When people make cartoons of Jesus, everybody laughs at it, but when someone makes a cartoon about Muhammad, BOOM!! BOMBINGS, ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Ptah Khnemu said:
It's because of what we deem appropriate nowadays. People always feel that it's okay to ridicule the majority, but when it comes to the minority, the minority can't be upset, or they'll complain and do something. For example, this is off topic, but Black people in America are always talking about blaming the white man for their poverty and misfortune, but when anyone ever talks about blaming the black man for all the crime and discord in Urban areas, there's waves and waves of backlash and reprocussion. It's the same with religions today. When people make cartoons of Jesus, everybody laughs at it, but when someone makes a cartoon about Muhammad, BOOM!! BOMBINGS, ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Very true. Insulting Christians is sort of cause celeb with liberal "intellectuals". I'm not defending anything written or believed from the Biblical texts, my position is that Christians have as much right to believe what they believe as the Muslim family down the block. If you want to bash the "stupidity" of worshipping a higher power, then generalize across the board, not just on one particular religious group.

And why do they on;y bash one group? Because if the bash another, they know they're about to get a bomb shoved up their ass.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Black people in America are always talking about blaming the white man for their poverty and misfortune, but when anyone ever talks about blaming the black man for all the crime and discord in Urban areas, there's waves and waves of backlash and reprocussion. It's the same with religions today.

way off topic

but black people are always being on tv sitcoms where there's no white people or getting arested on Cops, on the news, Wesley Snipes and Denzell Washington in movies, Ice Cube's movies where there's no white people at all in the entire movie, etc etc
and random people off the street really just don't realize that the totall number of black people has been only 9% of the entire USA population since the end of the Civil War (more black people died in the Civil War than white people) why does everybody obssess over "black culture" when there really aren't that many of them?

maybe this should be it's own seperate thread

I'm not sure where you get that statistic that more black people died in the Civil War than whites. 300,000 dead on the Union side, with something like 180,000 dead on the Confederate side. I would be curious if you could provide some sort of evidence that more blacks lost their lives than whites in the Civil War, because I find that extremely hard to believe.

Keltoi said:
I'm not sure where you get that statistic that more black people died in the Civil War than whites. 300,000 dead on the Union side, with something like 180,000 dead on the Confederate side. I would be curious if you could provide some sort of evidence that more blacks lost their lives than whites in the Civil War, because I find that extremely hard to believe.
i think it was something like
more blacks died in the civil war than since
or
more blacks died in the civil war than the number that have been born since
or something like one of those
i know that the number of blacks that died in the civil war combined with existance of mullattos has prevented the # of "pure blacks" from ever becoming at any point in the forseeable future more than 9% of the total USA population

Well, not to argue or anything, but I've done quite a bit of research related to the Civil War and I haven't come across anything that would lead me to believe blacks died in any significant number as a result of the Civil War. Many blacks took up arms against the Union during Sherman and Grant's invasion of the South, and I'm sure many died, but not in such a significant number that would cause some permanent effect on their population growth. Contrary to some stories you might hear, there were no mass killings of blacks during the Civil War by the South. In fact, the Union was responsible for more black deaths in the Civil War than the South. The killings of blacks by Southern groups began during and after Reconstruction. Again, even that was not in such a great number as to reduce a birth rate.

Silver Incubus said:
Im thinking, should the new testament even be associated with the old because the old is just judism.

I think one of the reasons it still is: to show the progression.

Not that I'm "defending" either or both religions...

Keltoi said:
The killings of blacks by Southern groups began during and after Reconstruction.

And originally were in response to black and carpetbagger crime, and were not solely black killings -- a good many "white" carpetbaggers were killed for being criminals as well.

i slept through history class
but i know that right now the blacks don't make up any more than 9% of the population, the 14% number given by the national census a few years ago
includes mullatos that are labeled as "black" on their driver's liscenses and prison records, and the number of "fully black" people might be less than 8%now because the mullatos that look comepletely black so severely out number the mullattos that can pass for white