Who seriously can believe in bible?

cfh

Aug 11, 2005
Finland
I personally don't believe in god, or in satan. At this time when science has proven at least half of the bible wrong, I still keep wondering how someone could pray some fucking "god".. Well I don't judge anyone by their religion, they can believe what they want but I think it's total bullshit.

I think way too much thought is wasted on what happens after we die. We'll all find out very soon...

and how the handling of this topic, as demonstrated by the progenitor of this thread, does little justice for the atheist corner. But it does serve as a reminder of the whole rite of passage towards mindfulness.

maybe I'm being too generous

I was a christian from the time I was 10 until I was about 15, and then I realized how god didnt make me feel any different, and how the bible really didn't make any sense. I respect the religion to a degree and don't speak against others who are christians, but I think christianity's time is done. It was created to control people.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
It was created to control people.

In all fairness, this could be said of many religions; Christianity is no more perjurous than any other religion in this regard. It does not follow, however, that religion is a means for controlling people. Rather, it is a social event.

It is a weak argument to contend that Christianity was created to control people.

I agree with the *general* idea of the original post, but not its inflammatory phrasing. IMO this guy is either trolling or doesn't speak English very well. Or both.

I do think it is very hard to reconcile the story of creation as told in the Bible with that suggested by science. Where are the dinosaurs, for example?

Isn't there now an "intelligent design" theory being circulated by some scientists that attempts to reconcile science with the idea of an omnipotent, omniscient creator? Unless I'm mistaken, it's something along the lines of "life-forms are so complex and specialized, there's no way it could have happened by accident, so there must have been a higher power involved..." Anyway, I read an article on this in the newspaper not too long ago, and I guess there's considerable debate over whether it would be acceptable to teach this theory in schools alongside evolution. It would be a more palatable alternative for religious groups than hard science, but as scientists have pointed out, there's no way to test this theory empirically, so it has met with considerable opposition. (As well it should, IMO.)

Intelligent design isn't scientific, and thus cannot be called a "theory," since it does not make any predictions. Furthermore, it assumes its conclusion: "life-forms are so complex that there must be a creator." They assume the "must;" the argument can be reworded to mean "the world is an interesting place, therefore God exists." Intelligent design is nothing more than an "anti-theory" to evolution in the Christian right's attempt to force religion into the educational system.

Your raise a non-issue.

People believe in God, not the bible.

Most Christians don't bother reading too much of their holy text. Some go through their entire lives not reading it.

The_Isle said:
Your raise a non-issue.

People believe in God, not the bible.

Most Christians don't bother reading too much of their holy text. Some go through their entire lives not reading it.
Of course.

I think the bible is taken way to seriously by atheists, agnostics etc, alot of it I consider to be metaphor and analogies. To me it's no more non-fiction than "Thus Spake Zarathustra".

I personally believe in God. I know that the Bible is a book. Like many books, it has been rewritten many, many times. Every time it is rewritten, things will be altered and embellished. The original meaning of the collection of stories and letters contained in the Bible has most likely been skewed over the years, but the basic meaning is the same ... accept Christ in your heart and you will enter the kingdom of Heaven when you pass on. If you are an atheist, agnostic, satanist, etc., that is your life choice, and no one should judge you for it. No one knows for sure what happens when you die, because none of us has ever died. No one knows who's right and wrong about this, because you can't know. The term "faith" is hope that some of us have within us that this is all true, God, Heaven, the Bible, etc.. If that isn't your belief, then fine. That gives no one the right to ridicule the holy text of a believer. If you don't like the Bible, don't read it, don't refer to it, pretend it doesn't exist. What is there to gain from this thread other than an argument?

ZoMb!M@N said:
I personally believe in God. I know that the Bible is a book. Like many books, it has been rewritten many, many times. Every time it is rewritten, things will be altered and embellished. The original meaning of the collection of stories and letters contained in the Bible has most likely been skewed over the years, but the basic meaning is the same ... accept Christ in your heart and you will enter the kingdom of Heaven when you pass on. If you are an atheist, agnostic, satanist, etc., that is your life choice, and no one should judge you for it. No one knows for sure what happens when you die, because none of us has ever died. No one knows who's right and wrong about this, because you can't know. The term "faith" is hope that some of us have within us that this is all true, God, Heaven, the Bible, etc.. If that isn't your belief, then fine. That gives no one the right to ridicule the holy text of a believer. If you don't like the Bible, don't read it, don't refer to it, pretend it doesn't exist. What is there to gain from this thread other than an argument?
Well the problem really is that not every christian holds the same opinion on the religion as you do, and try to wipe out atheists, pagans, satanists, agnostics and anyone else not in their religion, either by conversion or concealing their existence to the public. If christianity was never forced on to other people then I wouldn't have such a big problem with it, however it is, both publically and subliminally.

This whole issue stems from Christians needing a ethical guide for their earthly existence. Jesus offerred his actions and parables that mostly related to the afterlife--earthly existence was of little importance to Jesus. Yet his actions and parables were not enough to guide 99% of men on how to live on earth. They needed real guidance on every earthly issue Jesus would probably have dismissed as unimportant. Thas where Paul stepped in. His letters form a ethical guidebook for christians on how to live their lives. It is obviously far from satisfactory. Mohammed dramatically improved upon the Christian bible, with a Koran that covered, and still covers most details of everyday life.

As for the Old Testament, I still see it and its tribal god as totally incompatable with the Christian message.

All proofs inevetably lead to propositions that have no proof!

All things are known because we want to believe in them!