Howcome so many people still believe in God?

Nemesis_lxix said:
And once more, hell is not a pit of fire with little demons pitching you with forks ! it is more of a state of mind that indicates the life you have lived.

True, but it ends the day you die.

Nemesis_lxix said:
Fear is no longer a motivation to believe in a religion and when we mention “god” we don’t necessarily mean the Christian god.

Reading the last few posts, that is exactly what I wanted to add. In 2006 what do people fear so much to accept as true things that makes no sens written in very old books?

Doll said:
This is such a common question; I think this is how it went.. people believe because they're scared that if they don't, they'll go to hell. But in reality, they're not sure which is a sin too. Nobody is really sure but everybody 'believes' because of the term, 'better to be safe than sorry.' Even then, if there really is a God, he would obviously know our faith on the whole question, 'Is he real?'

Some people say they believe because - well if you don't, then you're an outcast in some old fashioned towns. I know, in one town.. you cannot get away with saying God Isn't Real. It could easily bring your social status down by not going to Church, etc. Obviously religion is one of the biggest things in the world. I think the question shouldn't be.. How come so many people still believe in God? But - Do people really believe in God or are they scared shitless of admitting that they're unsure?

So, some people may not believe but say so because of their family, social status, whether or not he is real or not.. um. And some might whole heartedly believe because of an experience and a 'white light', my whole opinion on it is really.. I believe that it was just a way to gain power. Oh, not to mention people were scared into believing it because of the ages of when people would get set on fire because they didn't believe, 'witches', so those people went in with the whole 'faith', and sent it down to their grandchild out of fright for their lives.

So really, the question is, 'Do people really believe' rather than 'Why do they believe?'

-Doll
i think that you prolly just described most of the "Christians" in existance today

Discovery said:
True, but it ends the day you die.
I believe (and not know for sure coz I have never been there yet) that the “hell” and “heaven” of the afterlife is an ideal world that is based in that very state of mind you have followed in life.
What I mean is that if you live a life of sin you will spend eternity in a place where you are free to sin and live a life of carnal pleasure and self satisfaction.You will have no god over your head to tell you what is right or wrong and you wont care about loving and helping others but yourself.
Heaven would probably the completely opposite where you fell no need to oversatisfy your mortal existence and care more about loving and sharing.
This is just an assumption,nobody knows what is going to happen after the life has ended but more or less we have all thought of an sequel.