God connection

I agree much the thread starter than I disagree.

I too don't believe in any religion that man has established thus far. While I do believe in something else, a greater entity of some sort, it is not any currently constructed religion.
I find religion to be very man-made, man-preserved, and man-oriented.
I do not think that the neither "real answers," (if such things exist as real answers to these questions), nor the greater entities that hold them can be so close to the human race in physicallity, thought, or emotion.
But I do beleive in something else, I won't try to speculate specifics- I do no feel it's something I am going to figure out.
I am not an athiest, they (to my knowledge please correct on this if im wrong), do not believe in anything. I acknolwedge something. The whole meaning of life and all its secrets do not lie here, nor do they lie in the minds of any humans that would think they can so firmly grasp the knowledge.
My biggest disbelief of all religions that have been introduced to man stems from the explanations and stories of them are all things mankind can understand, grasp, and relate to.
That is not something I think could be done in respect to both the universe or life's secrets.

I would agree with most on the sentiment that "religion" as in the man-made institutions,doctrines, and dogmas are for the most part bullshit and nothing more than excellent sources of power and money for those who choose to manipulate the system.
the older I got the more flaws I found with all of christianity in general, the same flaws in any religion.
Bottom line though is that out of all of the religions that claim the Bible as the word of God, none of them take the whole thing. They pull the shit out that they like and make a big deal out of it and write book after book about why their followers can ignore the shit they don't like.
If you like beating your head against a wall, find a "devout" [christian] and show him something from the Bible that disagrees with his church's doctrine. Best example, Pretribulation rapture is 100% bullshit, and the Left Behind series is so fucked up I don't know where to begin with it, but it gets taken like a authoritative commentary by the same brainwashed group that thought Scott Stapp was a great role model.

+1

I agree much the thread starter than I disagree.

I too don't believe in any religion that man has established thus far. While I do believe in something else, a greater entity of some sort, it is not any currently constructed religion.
I find religion to be very man-made, man-preserved, and man-oriented.
I do not think that the neither "real answers," (if such things exist as real answers to these questions), nor the greater entities that hold them can be so close to the human race in physicallity, thought, or emotion.
But I do beleive in something else, I won't try to speculate specifics- I do no feel it's something I am going to figure out.
I am not an athiest, they (to my knowledge please correct on this if im wrong), do not believe in anything. I acknolwedge something. The whole meaning of life and all its secrets do not lie here, nor do they lie in the minds of any humans that would think they can so firmly grasp the knowledge.
My biggest disbelief of all religions that have been introduced to man stems from the explanations and stories of them are all things mankind can understand, grasp, and relate to.
That is not something I think could be done in respect to both the universe or life's secrets.
i completely agree with this

I'm agnostic, and I don't find believing in God or rejecting God to be bad. I just think saying you're sure of the existence or nonexistence of a God is ridiculous.

I think Gods have been made up to explain the unexplainable and give people comfort. And I have trouble seeing why the Judaic or Judeopagan god is more "right" than Quetzalcoatl or Zeus.

But then again a supreme being controlling everything in our universe including how it works is currently unmeasurable.

I used to be an Atheist, then I was Agnostic, and now I'm starting to lean towards Theism. Call it a personal journey of sorts.

In what way? I don't really think lack of belief means lack of effort. Probably most atheists were religious before they became atheist, and it just didn't work out so they wanted to just forget the whole thing. I'm an atheist but I'm not a total dick about it bashing christians for believing in a god. Some religions tend to bash non-believers though, and to me that's just stupid.

In what way? I don't really think lack of belief means lack of effort.

Yeah- good post. I was being satirical - and also painting with a wide brush. I hear a lot about "Christians" do this and that, and act this way, and believe this or that - and yet there are over 250 denominations. . . :| We get painted that way a lot. "They're all the same". You did not say that. . .

Probably most atheists were religious before they became atheist, and it just didn't work out so they wanted to just forget the whole thing. I'm an atheist but I'm not a total dick about it bashing christians for believing in a god. Some religions tend to bash non-believers though, and to me that's just stupid.

Agreed - it is stupid. The thing is - the core of Christianity is to love your neighbor. How are you showing love to anyone by bashing them over the head - judging (which is reserved for those involved - not those outside, IMO) - and decrying everything.

I'm fine with having my beliefs and leaving you to yours... I just don't want to be told how wrong my beliefs are any more than anyone else.

I just don't want to be told how wrong my beliefs are any more than anyone else.

I am afraid that I don't see anyone telling you that your are wrong in your beliefs (then again I did not look to hard). I just see people stating their beliefs on something that cannot be fully explained on either sides.

I don't think some have a better connection to a God than others. I just see it as people blaming good and bad things on God rather than coincidence.

Sometimes I lean towards Atheism and sometimes I lean towards Theism. But I feel that the Christian God is made up because it is pretty much the God anyone wants to have.

I go to a seventh day adventist school and a lot of the teachers are creationists. They point out the holes in evolution but I've never seen any ancient writings in the past 6,000 years that talked about dinosaurs roaming the earth.

They talk about how this God is better than the others. You can't necessarily prove that the Norse Gods don't exist, so why is the christian God better and more correct?

Atheism just seems a bit lazy to me.

actually quite the opposite
with "christianity" you can be extremely lazy and just say "everything good is because of god" followed by "everything bad is because of satan"
being atheist involves trying to deal with the reality of the real world without the benifet of a benevolent/malevolent deity duo

Ugh, the whole "Its not a religion! Its a relationship!" annoys the hell out of me, not to mention its just dumb. Christianity fits the dictionary definition of religion. That whole thing just seems like a way to make it appeal to people, because of all the negative connotations associated with the word "religion"

+1

1)I just think saying you're sure of the existence or nonexistence of a God is ridiculous.

2)I think Gods have been made up to explain the unexplainable and give people comfort.

3)And I have trouble seeing why the Judaic or Judeopagan god is more "right" than Quetzalcoatl or Zeus.

4)But then again a supreme being controlling everything in our universe including how it works is currently unmeasurable

1) i'm totally convinced there's some sort of deity type thing creating the otherwise unexplainable in life, i just don't think it was ever the judeo-christian god and somtimes i think that the god(s) in existance just don't seem to give a rat's ass about the human species anymore, sometimes feels like the whole visible universe is just some forgotten about science experiment in some kid's basement

2)+1

3)i live in the "bible belt" where "freedom of religion" really just means "freedom to be a different denomination of christianity than me", this seems cult-ish way for the citizens of this area to act, which actually started my studies into non-judeo-christian religions

4)unmeasurable doesn't mean invisible read "darwin under the microscope"

I don't think some have a better connection to a God than others. I just see it as people blaming good and bad things on God rather than coincidence.

Sometimes I lean towards Atheism and sometimes I lean towards Theism. But I feel that the Christian God is made up because it is pretty much the God anyone wants to have.

I go to a seventh day adventist school and a lot of the teachers are creationists. They point out the holes in evolution but I've never seen any ancient writings in the past 6,000 years that talked about dinosaurs roaming the earth.

They talk about how this God is better than the others. You can't necessarily prove that the Norse Gods don't exist, so why is the christian God better and more correct?
this is post is exactly how i feel

Evolution may be a theory but its a damn good theory.

If Noah had to put 2 of each animal on the arch then where the fuck were the ground sloths and raptors?

I went to a Catholic school and they told me I wasn't a child of God because I was never baptised/christened. They said the same to my brother only it really messed him up for a few years because they mentioned that he wouldn't be allowed into heaven. We used to sit down together and talk about why we weren't going to heaven and if we were really bad people.

Now I'm older, I personally feel that forcing such beliefs on young children is pretty much the same as child abuse.

Having a splash of water on your face does not define whether you are a good person or not, neither does wasting a few hours of your life every week inside a cold stone building.

I got really high once and thought I was god, but thats another story.

Personally, I don't believe in any supernatural-being. I always have trouble trying to comprehend the idea of a Judo-Christian god, but I just can't. I believe alot of the time that gods, and goddesses have been recycled from culture to culture as a way of controlling people. You can find alot of striking similarities between Jesus, and other religious figures in the bible in other ancient religious writings. I also think that one religious belief is not better than mine, and that my beliefs are not better than theirs. I also think that people are very arrogant about understanding other religious beliefs and people just need to view other religions with an open mind, and not be so judgmental of someone because they do not agree with your beliefs.

I used to wonder that if christianity, islam, and judaism are so good then why is it that God chose them and let it get out of hand?

I think the reason it happened in the middle east is because there is desert. When you are without food for a long time you start hallucinating. And people in the desert don't always have food and water for a long time. In fact Muhammad barely ate when he saw God. The Aztecs as well as native americans in the deserts have seen Gods and spirits and such.

Some natives also use psychedelic drugs like peyote and see spirits. Who knows? Maybe those spirits are real and you just need the drugs to see them!

But yeah, I'm an atheist.I am open to the possibility that a god may exist.... I just think it's doubtful. I think to be atheist is very hard because I tend to have to hide my views from family who are super religious. That's one thing Christians are not known for: open mindedness...lol