Ibanez RGD series?

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
Anyone who also uses those? I know Ola uses the Prestige series one, kinda wonder if the regular ones are any good also, RGD320Z or the new rgd420z. They cost only half of what the prestige ones cost, and the one in flat black looks really nice. I currently use a LTD MH400, with rather thick strings (DR DDT-10/60) in drop B tuning. Athough it plays rather well, the neck is pretty thick, and the sound lacks alot of low-mid. Purely pricewise, getting a RGD420z would be a downgrade from the LTD. Kinda dunno what to do, buy the cheaper cause some or alot of you experienced 400-500 euro Ibanez guitars have a way better sound then 700-800 euro ltd guitars or simply get more money and get the Prestige one. Wich is like 1080 euro. I did notice that Ola's DI tracks wich i think were recorded with the MTM2, give easyer a better sound with ampsims then whatever i did myself.

Kwl, already ordered a cheaper one after Wutzs answer. Although i dont do any technical wanking, there also is the getting used part indeed so.

Never used Duncan pickups. Mostly EMGs, will probably first use the stockpickups. Do kinda wonder, are they that bad, or are the duncans simply that awesome? tho i hate soldering and wiring schematics

same here man i have the rgd2127z and was considering chaning the pickups but im too afraid to do so as i really like the stock ones..

So i got my RGD420 now. Looks nice, plays nice, sounds nice, like the Edge Zero II bridge, also it is pretty light in weight compared to my LTDs. Was easy to tune to Drop B with the standard strings, they still have a nice amount of tension. Now the question, what gauge of string to put on this one for Drop B tuning. I was planning on putting the same like my LTD on it, (10-13-17-36-52-60), but since the standard ones already feel nice (10-13-17-26-36-46), it looks abit like rape to put on a 10-60 set on it. What do you guys use/suggest?

Had my first bandpractice with RGD420Z. Still original strings on it, and the original pickups. This thing sounds so lovely. I always leave my amp at he same settings during practice. Except for the powerswitch, everything stays untouched. Last week i still played on my LTD MH-400 FR. It doesnt sounds bad at his own, better then my old (cheap) BcRich guitars and LTD M-100. But mostly during playing - we are a 5 piece band - my guitar get buried between the rest, or it is way to loud. During low parts everything sounded really constipated, the higher played were barely hearable. I mostly blamed the room, although it is pretty isolated, the accoustics are pretty shit, and the cieling is very low. Tried to blame my cab, but live it was real beast so... today it was the most clear sounding practice ever had. Finally i heard myself play in all detail. During heavy palmmuted parts the guitar - tuned in drop B - sounded low, solid and clear - chords roared with biting mids while the lead parts sliced smoothly through everything. Been using my Bugera 6260 last few weeks, but today it sounded more brutal then my Triple X ever sounded during practice, so i am pretty curious how the Ibanez will make my triple X sound.
I actually thought spending 800 euro on a neck-thru LTD with EMGs would give me a good sound... that the DI input on my profire sucked cause my DI tracks sucked, making my buy a 200 euro Radial J48... trying different gauges, brands of snares... thinking my fingers sucked... i even changed my picking style.
While now ive bought a 425 euro guitar... the Ibanez RGD420Z... and i must say WoW. This thing slays.