Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man

Maybe I will re download it, but I think you wouldve dumped this cd in the recycling bin on 1st listen if it wasn't by Iced Earth :loco:

OK. This disc is now dominating my player. I've probably listened to it now more than any other 2008 release, with the exception of Warrel's solo disc.

Zod

Thanks for the updates:headbang:

I felt the same way about Therion's Gothic Kabbalah. when I first listened to it i was like "wtf", then that changed to "meh", then "hmm? interesting" then, "holy fucking shit this is the best thing evarrrr".

OK. This disc is now dominating my player.

I listened to "Come What May" three times in a row last night, and I *never* do that, so that's as close to "dominating my player" as you can get. What a nifty chorus that song has. I really need to pay attention to the lyrics next time, because the song seems totally uplifting and hopeful, which is the last thing I expected at the end of the Set Abominae saga. So I'm assuming that it's still the hope for the Setian victory over man, rather than hope for man himself? If so, that's a pretty sweet way to disguise an evil message.

Neil

Maybe I will re download it, but I think you wouldve dumped this cd in the recycling bin on 1st listen if it wasn't by Iced Earth
I'll give two answers...

1. As I said earlier, had this CD been from some unknown band, I would have approached it with no expectations and may have loved it from the first listen.

2. It's possible I would have dumped it, had it not been Iced Earth. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the disc falls short, only that my patience is short. There have been a number of discs that didn't click for me immediately, that I discarded and eventually was prompted to listen to again, that I loved. Zero Hour's Towers of Avarice didn't click for me till about the 7th or 8th time I heard it. Now I'd put it in my Top 10 of all-time.

Zod

are you freakin kidding me?I think people have no appreciation of music. I listened to it once and it sucked. WTF is that? Sometimes music is deeper than one or two plays through.

After twenty listens, I have a feeling this will end up becoming my favorite IE disc ever. And when Part I is re-recorded with Barlow, the combination will certainly be hard to top. The Something Wicked story is so deep, and that's why it doesn't click with people on the first listen. Yes, people these days have shorter attention spans than ever, want everything now, and apparently want their music to be simple and vicious enough that every song blows their fucking head off on the first listen. They don't want to have anything to explore - they want everything revealed on the first listen, and therefore in a sense, they want to know what to expect. There is nothing wrong with that and bands like Gamma Ray fit that niche nicely. But the new IE is an storytelling epic and probably requires more thought and attention than most people are willing to give it. After all, there are new albums to be downloaded and listened to everyday (OK, I won't go there but you get my point).

IMO, Schaffer and Barlow have never sounded better.

I'm still loving this disc. Which quite honestly, surprises me a bit.

With Part 1, I was immediately disappointed. However, I force fed it to myself. After five or six spins, I reached a point where I was "into it". However, that quickly faded and I don't think I've reached for Part 1 since shortly after its release. In a similar fashion, I wasn't immediately impressed with Part II. Again, I went back and listened to it a few times, mostly because it's Iced Earth. However, unlike with Part 1, my enjoyment of this disc hasn't wained. This is one of my most listened to discs this year, along with Warrel's solo disc.

Zod

With Part 1, I was immediately disappointed. However, I force fed it to myself. After five or six spins, I reached a point where I was "into it". However, that quickly faded and I don't think I've reached for Part 1 since shortly after its release. In a similar fashion, I wasn't immediately impressed with Part II. Again, I went back and listened to it a few times, mostly because it's Iced Earth. However, unlike with Part 1, my enjoyment of this disc hasn't wained. This is one of my most listened to discs this year, along with Warrel's solo disc.

Zod

The thing that strikes me big time about this disc is that it doesn't feel or sound anything like Part I except for the Epilogue. If I didn't know better, I would never have associated these two albums as a pair, which makes me wonder what Part I will sound like when it's recorded with Barlow for continuity's sake.

Zod

Talking about Warrel Dane, did you see the "Brother" video?

It makes me want to hug him. Cause he sure needs a hug.

I hadn't heard or seen such an emotional video/song before.:worship:

Part 1 never did much for me, it has gone largely unplayed by me. However I was bored one day and through it back in and one song stuck with me , The Domino Decree....wow, I love that song now. Listen to the that one again. I Love it now.