Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon

Especially Grado headphones. Seriously. It's pure heaven listening to these cans. Ugliest headphones ever, but they more than make up for it in the sound quality. If you want to really hear the seperation of the instruments..... wow

Sorry if that sounds too much like a commercial!!
I found the sound character of the grados I tried too sterile for my tastes, and the fit became uncomfortable if I wore them too long. I'm 100 times happier with the Beyerdynamic DT-880's I use now (they really need an amp to shine though).

Headphones are a highly subjective thing though. But I can definitely agree that a good set of cans that suit your personal preferences can make a world of difference. (On the downside they can also reveal just how bad the production is on some CD's).

II will always be a Barlow fanboy, but Tim is starting to grow on me..and this is from someone who found Glorious Burden a burden to sit through(pardon the pun ;p).
Well, if you find you like him on the new disc, you may want to revisit the previous disc. I thought he was absolutely amazing on it. The final song of the trilogy is one of the greatest vocal performances I've ever heard.

Zod

Well, if you find you like him on the new disc, you may want to revisit the previous disc. I thought he was absolutely amazing on it. The final song of the trilogy is one of the greatest vocal performances I've ever heard.

Zod

Agreed. Ripper owned on that trilogy.

I found the sound character of the grados I tried too sterile for my tastes, and the fit became uncomfortable if I wore them too long. I'm 100 times happier with the Beyerdynamic DT-880's I use now (they really need an amp to shine though).

Are those Beyer's closed or open? I think I was considering those a few years back and went with the cheaper Senn 280's instead... I don't really like the sound of the senns, they are to tinny sounding. I still haven't heard a good sounding pair of closed headphones.

I've been through the album twice now, and it was twice as good the second time. I have a good feeling about this one...

went with the cheaper Senn 280's instead... I don't really like the sound of the senns, they are to tinny sounding. I still haven't heard a good sounding pair of closed headphones.
I can't speak to those, but I have some Sennheiser HD-555 open headphones and those are awesome...high end quality and comfort, yet not outrageously priced.

Getting back on topic...I thought I heard Jon mention at one time about playing the entire album in concert, but I can't say for sure. I think that would be mind blowing...maybe he'll record a performance for a DVD that will be on consecutive nights, Part 1 the first night and Part 2 the second :loco::)

With help from PP's own "Purple Crayon Writer", I'm working on setting up a system to record our phone conversations and post them online at www.icedearth.com as podcasts or mp3 files. They should be pretty enjoyable as Jon can really talk at length (at ease) about anything in the world you want to talk about (except all his story details -- and even he'll admit that he doesn't have answers to all the questions that the storyline can conjure up for the interested listener. And that's part of the beauty of the whole concept - it leaves room for the listener to take the story wherever their imagination leads them).

I think you're onto something. Jon is an engaging speaker. Back when he wanted me to write the IE biography and be the IE webmaster, he and I would chat at length about all sorts of things. It was my intention at the time to record all of our conversations and create a podcast-like "radio show" for everyone to share the fun. However, technology at the time wasn't up to where it is now. Podcasts were in their infancy 4-5 years ago. I've done dozens since (and am considering some podcast-like snippets to highlight some of next year's PPUSA interviews -- if Mr. H. wants me to do them again), but back then I doubt I could have pulled it off.

That said, I think Fiddler is onto something. Jon is a fascinating fellow. His mind is so crammed with names, dates, stats, facts, and flights of fancy that y'all will enjoy listening to him. Story of like Story Time Uncle Jon.

If you need any assistance, Fiddler, PM me. My interview set-up works like a charm. If you run into a snag, give me a call.

I haven't heard Framing Armageddon yet. I think IE is an amazing band. But I can't get Barlow's voice out of my head when I hear Jon's guitar riffs. Tim's a great singer, don't get me wrong. It's just hard for me to think of anyone else but Matt singing for IE. I'll pick up the CD today and give it a listen.

Cheers,

Bill

I find it very interesting that a lot of people say this same thing about Burnt Offerings(I consider it my favorite Iced Earth album, and one of my favorite albums over all, metal or not), yet Jon Schaffer likes it the least. Weird..

Well, it's not because of the songwriting or guitar tone or anything. It's because of what was going on in his life at the time. That album is one of the more personal ones for Jon because, from what I recall, he had some professional challenges to endure and the process of getting through them resulted in Burnt Offerings.

Are those Beyer's closed or open? I think I was considering those a few years back and went with the cheaper Senn 280's instead... I don't really like the sound of the senns, they are to tinny sounding. I still haven't heard a good sounding pair of closed headphones.

I've been through the album twice now, and it was twice as good the second time. I have a good feeling about this one...
The DT-880's are considered to be "semi-open", not sure exactly what that means but if you're looking for complete isolation and the ability to crank it up without cubicle neighbors hearing your music you may be disappointed. I think the design the use works well though, what I really like about them is the deep, clean bass that doesn't get all boomy and the fact that they have excellent dynamics without sounding too bright or harsh.

I've been listening to Framing Armageddon all day. I have two words for it:

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

This isn't the Iced Earth of even just a few years ago. This is a new IE, with more melody, more depth, and more variety in their songs -- and vocals from Tim Owens that perfectly match the music.

Whereas in the past I thought Tim's vocals seemed tacked on, almost like they were purposely cast to replace Matt's vocals, on Armageddon Tim's voice fits the music to a T. It's obvious Armageddon was a collaboration, with Jon writing for Tim's killer vocal style rather than for Matt's.

I know I'll take heat for typing this, but I think Armageddon is IE's best work to date. I love Something Wicked and Horror Show. I think Alive in Athens is a landmark in live metal recordings. But Framing Armageddon is in a different league entirely.

The recording is crisp and multi-layered. There's just the right amount of everything. And, as previous posters have indicated, "The Clouding" is a phenomenal song.

Tim shines. No doubt about it. His voice has finally found a home that showcases it. But I think it's Jon Schaffer who deserves high marks for crafting music that lives and breathes, that stands alone as truly great music, rather than music that's clearly created by Jon Schaffer. Jon has a trademark style of riffing and songwriting. Even his guitar tone is classic. But I'm not hearing Jon Schaffer on Framing Armageddon. Even his guitar tone sounds different. No, I'm hearing a mature songwriter who has just created an album that spotlights the talents of everyone involved, not just himself.

Framing Armageddon grabbed me from the first listen and has continued to hold my attention virtually all day long.

Remarkable. Absolutely remarkable.

THIS is an Iced Earth that I'd love to see tour.

Bring it to the U.S., Jon!

OK so I went ahead and got this via pre-order (with the extra signed booklet) and have had it in the car stereo and the computer stero at work - and it is rocking my sox off. I really, really like Barlow's lower style as opposed to higher pitched vocals normally, but this album is really good so far. I have yet to let it rip on the home stereo (been sick with a cold, don't feel I can do it justice without really cranking it so I am holding off) but I am going to do the headphone jam tonight and I expect it to only deepen my appreciation for the album and the storyline.

That said - once part 2 comes out (Feb I believe) I would expect to see BOTH albums played on the tour. Preferably one of those things were maybe the 1st set is the entire story played live - and the second set is an extended encore of another hour or 90 minutes of classic IE :)
jeff

That said - once part 2 comes out (Feb I believe) I would expect to see BOTH albums played on the tour. Preferably one of those things were maybe the 1st set is the entire story played live - and the second set is an extended encore of another hour or 90 minutes of classic IE :)
jeff
Jesus H, that is one LONG-ASS gig! I think Jon's fingers would fly off into the crowd...wouldn't that be an interesting souvenir ;)

Ive only listened to it about 15 times in 3 days, so I am not able to give my exact opinion of it yet, but as of right now, it is my favorite iced earth release to date. I have been so fucking happy over the past 3 days, I heard from so many people how they have given up hope on iced earth before this album came out, and all I can do right now is laugh at them. This album is amazing, and Framing Armageddon might be my new favorite iced earth song...

Brent

Thanks. Have you given it a shot with headphones and lyrics? It really helps open up the disc.

For anyone who would like to read the lyrics, they can be found here:

Framing Armageddon

Zod
Thanks for the lyrics link .. it does help the whole album come together better. Without them it's very hard to follow the storyline, and makes the product come off as being quite boring ... in my opinion at least.

I'm currently re-evaluating my ealier claims that I would not be purchasing this disc. It just might wind up back on "the buy" list. It might become a Prog Power purchase after all.

I will probably make myself two versions of this disc ... one complete version, and one that cuts a lot of the instrumental tie-in stuff. As is usually the case with me I have a hard time with (mass amounts of) instrumental tie-in tracks, and in this case I think they hurt the momentum of the disc more than they help it.

Britt

I will probably make myself two versions of this disc ... one complete version, and one that cuts a lot of the instrumental tie-in stuff. As is usually the case with me I have a hard time with (mass amounts of) instrumental tie-in tracks, and in this case I think they hurt the momentum of the disc more than they help it.
If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend you give the whole disc one spin, with headphones on and lyric sheet in hand. There's so much nuance and layering, that you really need to hear once on headphones, to really pick up on it all.

Zod

If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend you give the whole disc one spin, with headphones on and lyric sheet in hand. There's so much nuance and layering, that you really need to hear once on headphones, to really pick up on it all.

Zod

I couldn't agree more man, I liked the album a lot after a bunch of spins but it wasn't until I sat down with the lyrics and read the story while listening to it from start to finish that it all really set in. This album caught be by total surprise, I love it!

Thanks for the lyrics link .. it does help the whole album come together better. Without them it's very hard to follow the storyline, and makes the product come off as being quite boring ... in my opinion at least.

Didn't your copy of the disc come with CD jacket including artwork and full lyrics to help set-up and tell the story? ;)

From the SPV website:

...I hope that the fans will really sit down and read the lyrics and look at the artwork while they’re listening to it, but that’s not always the reality.

...“It’s extremely difficult to sum up the story in a few words.” says Jon. “I can talk about it and go into detail about it for hours.”

http://www.spv.de/scripts/artistlight_e.asp?Eingabe=iced earth